Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ron Paul, Hope for a Reunited Korea
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Korean Chat > Korean Serious Talk
catman
Among the candidates for the 2008 presidential election, only one has offered a proposal that would seriously work toward the reunification of the tragically divided Korean Peninsula. That candidate is Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), and his plan is to withdraw all American military forces from South Korea.

Dr. Paul has not isolated Korea for a removal of American forces. In keeping with warnings of Presidents Washington and Jefferson to avoid "foreign entanglements" and "entangling alliances," he has called for the withdrawal of the American military presence throughout the world, not only in South Korea, but also in Japan, Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq. Ending a costly empire that is causing the American economy to sink into what appears terminal decline is crucial, and fully in keeping with the traditions of the "Old Right" and with the non-interventionism that was the intent of the founding fathers. The Korean people, however, have at least as much to gain from a speedy withdrawal of the American military presence from the peninsula.

The USFK presence is in its 63rd year. If this is not a "foreign entanglement" and "entangling alliance" than what is? In any entanglement, both entangled parties lose. America loses treasure in a faraway land in which she no vital interest. South Korea suffers the loss of prestige and self-respect that comes with being a protectorate, along with the various cultural and social problems associated with hosting a 37,000-strong foreign military presence. Both South Korea and the United States stand to gain from an amiable end to their six-decade long entanglement, and only Dr. Ron Paul of Texas is talking about getting the process going.

Not only do the Korean people south of the DMZ stand to gain from a USFK withdrawal, but so do their separated brethren to the north. As the recent summit between the heads of state of Seoul and Pyeongyang demonstrated, the Korean people are perfectly capable of working out their own differences by themselves. The presence of the military of the last remaining superpower, albeit one overtaxed and in decline, only complicates matters and delays the eventual reunification of the Korean peninsula. Kim Jong-il's recalcitrance and nuclear brinkmanship are largely in response to the threat he feels from the USFK. If this threat were removed, he would likely speed up reforms of the backward economy over which we rules, and this would require further assistance from the South. Dr. Ron Paul's non-interventionism would afford the people of both Korea's an opportunity to enhance cooperation and integration, leading to a speedier reunification of the painfully divided country.

A USFK withdrawal would create some minor short-term costs that would be net gains for South Korea, which would find itself in need of further modernization and expansion of its own defense capabilities. But these short-term costs would be very beneficial to the country in the long-term, and would do much to improve the national self-esteem.

South Koreans and Korean-Americans would be wise to support Dr. Ron Paul and his message of peace and freedom.

An American Catholic son-in-law of Korea, Joshua Snyder lives with his wife and two children in Pohang, where he serves as an assistant visiting professor of English at a science and technology university. He 'blogs at

http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=5866
SejongTheGreat
I love Ron Paul. The guy gets my vote.
TheHero
QUOTE(catman @ Nov 7 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]3301830[/snapback]

He will never win; Anyways, Korea will be reunited in 20 or so years anyways. NK should become free within 5 or 10 years (maybe sooner). So Koreans don't have to worry. I think the Hillary Clinton administration should be fairly sympathetic to the unification cause.
exchosun
actually, hillary clinton condemns the Korea-US FTA.

i don't really like her. and thanks for the article, catman.

i'll look more into this guy Ron Paul
TheHero
QUOTE(exchosun @ Nov 17 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]3317718[/snapback]
actually, hillary clinton condemns the Korea-US FTA.

i don't really like her. and thanks for the article, catman.

i'll look more into this guy Ron Paul

But I thought Koreans didn't like FTA. I guess it's impossible to please everyone.

Ron Paul sounds like a great guy but he goes against business interests. Therefore, he doesn't have the financial backing the major candidates get.
Also, no doubt about it - Ron Paul is against any free trade with anyone.
ComeClean
free trade means slave laboe and corporate greed.
SkyLegenD
Because he says that Koreans will be voting for him?
redneck
He's just another cracker. Crackers are all the same. They want you to kneel and use their Mexican military to take your wealth.
TheHero
A weak USA would be a disaster for the world. The world would hate the US 1000 worse if Ron Paul's policies (all of them) became law.

Angry mexicans (and others) because foreign workers are the only real source of money in Mexico (and other places).

Ron Paul's idea of leaving Korea and Japan is O.K. but that's all (for the most part).
baal
QUOTE(redneck @ Dec 16 2007, 06:34 AM) [snapback]3370811[/snapback]
He's just another cracker. Crackers are all the same. They want you to kneel and use their Mexican military to take your wealth.

I hate crackers too. Mexicans are the finest soldiers the world has ever seen. Your insight makes all of us envious.
JennyH
I strongly appose withdrawing troops from Korea, America is the only reason they're even alive. Ron Paul doesn't sound like he cares too much about what happens to Korea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.