Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mongolian mastiff- Bankhar
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Mongolian Chat
Erdene
A trusted friend of all nomads. Enemy of the wolves and thieves beerchug.gif

With his winter coat on.

Many travelers who visited Mongolia in different periods were impressed with the number of cattle and dogs.

Mongolian nomadic families usually migrate with their cattle, frequently changing pastures. With such lifestyle the service of dogs is essential for alerting about arrival of strangers, guarding and herding sheep flocks. Each nomadic family usually has 2-3 dogs to look after livestock, guard the house and help in hunting.

1990 study by A. Osor, director of the dog training school, gives examples of how dogs serve nomadic herders.

* Dog Nyangar owned by herder Luvsantseren of Delgerkhaan soum in Khnetii province, at night walks around the sheep flock every 30-40 minutes checking around.
* Herder Bazarsuren from Bulgan soum in South Gobi province trained his dog Khuder to take cattle to pasture and bring back in the evening.
* Herder Zeveg from Middle Gobi told that once he saw two wolves attacking his sheep flock grazing some 10 kilometers distance. Under the master order his dog Olz rushed to save the sheep and soon brought back the entire flock with no single animal lost.

Dog was always a loyal friend and companion to nomadic herders. Many ancient rock paintings show that Central Asian nomads used dogs for guarding their flocks and hunting. Graveyards of Hunnu people often contain metal embroidery and pottery with pictures of hunters with dogs or dogs buried along with their masters.

Ancient Chinese historical records describe Hunuu dogs as "very ferocious and big dogs with strong legs and wide chest."
Mongolian type dog

Dogs are mentioned very often in famous historical documents and literary epics as "Dogs are the most loyal friends. They will never change poor master for a rich herder, grown by poor nomad it will never follow even a khaan." There was even a poem composed by Sandag, a famous poet of 19th century "Praise to Dog"

Ch. Jugder, well known expert on Medieval Mongolian philosophy, notes that "Mongols deeply respected and revered their dogs and the dogs never betrayed their masters."

Such respect for dogs even found reflection in the legislation. The Codes of Law from 1640 and 1709 (enforced and observed until 1921) both contain provisions prohibiting to kills or beat dogs.

Dogs, similar to horses, were buried on the hills so that people do not walk on their remains. Dog's tail was cut off and placed under the head. A piece of fat was put into their mouth and words of wishes to be born as a human being in the next life were said before burial.

Before the revolution of 1921 the number of fogs in the country was astonishing. According to veterinarian D. Tseveenjav, some 200-300,000 dogs lived in the country in 20s. Since the total population of that time counted approximately half a million, Mongolia was truly the land of dogs then.

As the population gets more and more settled and repeated campaign to destroy stray dogs, the number of dogs is diminished. According to A. Osor study, in 1985 there were 18,840 dogs registered in the country.
UrbanCultureParanoia
The real enemy of wolves biggrin.gif
Becool
QUOTE(UrbanCultureParanoia @ Feb 3 2008, 06:44 AM) [snapback]3469386[/snapback]
The real enemy of wolves biggrin.gif

it is too expensive now and it's very rare breed
Mongol Warrior
I have two such tough beast.
My father buy them from a Tibeten business man friendat cost of 15,0000 usa dollar! Pure race and very cheap price!
Those beast are so tough that they can beat 5 wolves!
Erdene
Yes...it needs to be saved before they disappear.....so many mixed little and skinny things in the country side!!!!
UrbanCultureParanoia
QUOTE(Mongol Warrior @ Feb 3 2008, 06:47 AM) [snapback]3469396[/snapback]
I have two such tough beast.
My father buy them from a Tibeten business man friendat cost of 15,0000 usa dollar! Pure race and very cheap price!
Those beast are so tough that they can beat 5 wolves!

Do you hve a photo of them ?
Becool
QUOTE(UrbanCultureParanoia @ Feb 3 2008, 06:48 AM) [snapback]3469402[/snapback]

come on what do you expect he is lieing as always icon_neutral.gif
Mongol Warrior

yup! I will post them here!
Wait for a moment!

QUOTE(UrbanCultureParanoia @ Feb 3 2008, 06:48 AM) [snapback]3469402[/snapback]

UrbanCultureParanoia
Odoo UB iin gudamjaar kawkaz owchark gdg biluu ter ih haragddag bolson bna leedee.Achaanii mashinii tewshin deer gsn icon_smile.gif
Mongol Warrior

ok, boy?!
UrbanCultureParanoia
ok nice
Erdene
Which www site did you steal these from....once a hujaa always a hujaa!!!! I know your hujaa tricks boy!!!
UrbanCultureParanoia
erdenee odoo boliochee End orj irehees ch durgui hurdeg bolchloo YAdargaatai yuam,aa
Mongol Warrior
buryat idiot!
I shot it in the backyard of my iner-Mongolian family.

buryat idiot! embarassedlaugh.gif

QUOTE(Erdene @ Feb 3 2008, 07:02 AM) [snapback]3469431[/snapback]
Which www site did you steal these from....once a hujaa always a hujaa!!!! I know your hujaa tricks boy!!!

Naimani
They are pretty cute animal biggrin.gif

Naimani
They are pretty cute animals biggrin.gif

Aza
Ene chin orig banxar bish baina.Arai jijig um shig.
UrbanCultureParanoia
Jinhene ni ih tom bdag l yum gsn gaigui l haragdaj bna shtee
Subotai
$120,000 US for ONE??!?!?!?! icon_neutral.gif
Rotcod
Tom l baishdee. Zogsoj baigaa hunii buselhiigeer tataj baina.
halhmongol
Odoo l Aza gej nohor jinhene mongol banhar baruun aimguudad l bdag gej helmeer yum bna daa. Tsookhon hed uldsen gesen shu...
Aza
QUOTE(halhmongol @ Feb 3 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]3470481[/snapback]
Odoo l Aza gej nohor jinhene mongol banhar baruun aimguudad l bdag gej helmeer yum bna daa. Tsookhon hed uldsen gesen shu...

Ene chin arai ilyy sagsgar um. Banxar bol suul sagsgar baixaas bie ni sagsgar baidaggui um.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.