Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best food in Cambodian ?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
Pages: 1, 2
se7ensinz
QUOTE(ptmlove @ Feb 24 2008, 04:45 AM) [snapback]3521241[/snapback]
whoops. my bad. but isnt there something called "bok moan"? im getting my food names mixed up lol.

Honesty never heard of Bok Moan.. Sounds like a Plear or something.
shoehorn.o.plenty
QUOTE(se7ensinz @ Feb 24 2008, 05:48 AM) [snapback]3521249[/snapback]
I'm guessing it's Viet since you've mentioned Pho. I've gotta head north to Canada one of these days. Hear the peeps are "friendly" up there.

yeah it's viet. why, you've got cambodian owned katiev shops where you're from?! i don't know, i guess we're friendly. if you're talking about khmer people, i can only compare with the folks in lowell because that's about as far as i've travelled in the states. it was quite the....experience. i've never seen more cambodians in my entire life. congregated on a few volleyball courts no less. embarassedlaugh.gif the community's a little tighter here. but if you mean people in general, i haven't noticed much of a difference. then again, like i've said, i'm not well-travelled.
se7ensinz
QUOTE(shoehorn.o.plenty @ Feb 24 2008, 05:10 AM) [snapback]3521280[/snapback]
yeah it's viet. why, you've got cambodian owned katiev shops where you're from?! i don't know, i guess we're friendly. if you're talking about khmer people, i can only compare with the folks in lowell because that's about as far as i've travelled in the states. it was quite the....experience. i've never seen more cambodians in my entire life. congregated on a few volleyball courts no less. embarassedlaugh.gif the community's a little tighter here. but if you mean people in general, i haven't noticed much of a difference. then again, like i've said, i'm not well-travelled.

Haha, that's hilarious...I live right in back of those "volleyball courts." Across the street from one of the most popular Khmer restaurant in Lowell called Red Rose. They serve the best Steak Katna around. Yeah it is stuffed with Khmers over here. I believe about over 60% asian, majority being Khmers.
RTing
Nam chow is the best.
The beef teriyaki ahah.
I also like fried rice.

I enjoy most Khmer cuisine basically.
menghuy
QUOTE(emtitviet @ Feb 23 2008, 10:19 PM) [snapback]3520222[/snapback]
What is the best food in Cambodian ?

the best food in cambodia is the foods that they sell on the street or at the park somewhere. they are cheap and very tasty. dont go a fancy resturant all they have is what we have here in the usa. chicken,beef and rice. what i refer to is insect, they are good. lots of protent.
MadeInCambodia
In retrospect, I really like this thread. More people are need to discuss about the Cambodian Cuisine and share our food recipes with the whole world. I am so thankful that there are more and more books coming out focusing on the Cambodian Cuisine. It is time that people focus on the most important aspect of the Cambodian people--that is their food. It was their food that gave rise to the mental strength and bodily energy to produce the second to none glorious civilization in the entire Southeast Asia. It is time for the people to focus on the Cambodian Cuisine to learn the secret of the Khmer power. On that note, I will now go out and buy any cook books out there that discuss about the Cambodian Cuisine.
thebest
here my fav khmer food.

khmer curry noodle

pork wit rice

khmer noodle

somlokako

khmer dessert

khamara
The Best food...prahok and ampil chhney (young Tamarind) 9 out of 10 Cambodian eat prahok...
Goombaking209
QUOTE(MadeInCambodia @ Feb 24 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]3521966[/snapback]
In retrospect, I really like this thread. More people are need to discuss about the Cambodian Cuisine and share our food recipes with the whole world. I am so thankful that there are more and more books coming out focusing on the Cambodian Cuisine. It is time that people focus on the most important aspect of the Cambodian people--that is their food. It was their food that gave rise to the mental strength and bodily energy to produce the second to none glorious civilization in the entire Southeast Asia. It is time for the people to focus on the Cambodian Cuisine to learn the secret of the Khmer power. On that note, I will now go out and buy any cook books out there that discuss about the Cambodian Cuisine.

I have collected three so far.

This cookbook is the least authentic of my collection in my opinion. They have an "all purpose" Kroeung recipe for most of the dishes that calls for it. If this is what Haute style Khmer food looks like, I'm afriad its only a great attempt for photo purposes. I have yet to try a recipe from this book but I will later.

What this cookbook lacks in photos it makes up for in its very detailed information on each and every one of the recipe. Phnom Penh regional cooking indeed, you'd best believe this cookbook is filled with many many stir-fries. The recipes were written with the american palate in mind, but Prahok, Kapi, and many exotic Khmer ingredients are never shy of use here. Overall, I like this cookbook. Her Cambodia is not your Cambodia, so if you read this book, don't get offended.

This book is totally awesome. Loads of history and culture from this book, it delves very deeply into Khmer food and the most important component in authentic Cambodian = Kroeung. Don't measure accordingly when using this book, as everything is mostly done to your taste. The pictures of each and every food is amazingly beautiful.
khamara
Goomba:
Anything good in those cooking books? You know I like to cook too; of all of those three books which one is the best, clearity,pictures, coz I hate cooking book without picture of foods ..
Kambojiya
I want to buy some of those books and learn myself. I love Sralaw Kuri with Noombachok.

We use to joke around about Khmer foods like for instance

Sralaw Machew Kah Ko

we'd say

Sralaw Machew Kdaw Ko

lol just for laughs
thebest
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 11:35 AM) [snapback]3522042[/snapback]
The Best food...prahok and ampil chhney (young Tamarind) 9 out of 10 Cambodian eat prahok...

most people use prahok to put in food just like sugar, salt to make the taste r smell. for me prahok is not really a food it just like a ingredient r it could b a meat in some food.
menghuy
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]3522042[/snapback]

if you dont eat prahok you are not khmer
khamara
QUOTE(thebest @ Feb 24 2008, 03:00 PM) [snapback]3522097[/snapback]
most people use prahok to put in food just like sugar, salt to make the taste r smell. for me prahok is not really a food it just like a ingredient r it could b a meat in some food.

what about prahok ktis​ប្រហុកខ្ទិះ, tik kroeung prahok ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក(sack ko, tirk kroeung prahok ​សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក​ , prahok dot ប្រហុកដុត , prahok ang​ប្រហុកអាំង,)what do you call that? you add prahok to food only prahok that not been cooked, when you add ingredient to prahok then it become a food...I should know about prahok, coz I ate it all the time...Khmer favorite food all the stuff that smell..excep sh_t,​អោយតែស្អុយ​
សុទ្ធតែម្ហូមខ្មែរទាំងអស់

លើកលែងតែអាចម៏​
khmer don't eat that ! laugh.gif
DJTherkTrei
Sawlaw Gahry (Iono if it's meant to be Curry, but said in a Khmer accent.)
Sawlaw Machu
Prahok Ktearh
Those Beef Kabobs you buy from Khmer fast food stores.
Chah (any kind)

There's so much!
MadeInCambodia
Thanks Goombaking for the COOK BOOKS.

This is my thought though: A project on Cambodian Cuisine should be conducted. A team of researchers should go to each of the Khmer provinces in Cambodia, various Khmer communities in Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. Another team of researchers need to go to various Cambodian communities in the United States, South America, and Europe. The purpose is to find out how the Cambodian prepare their foods and names they give to their foods.

khamara
QUOTE(MadeInCambodia @ Feb 24 2008, 03:26 PM) [snapback]3522134[/snapback]

This is my thought though: A project on Cambodian Cuisine should be conducted. A team of researchers should go to each of the Khmer provinces in Cambodia, various Khmer communities in Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. Another team of researchers need to go to various Cambodian communities in the United States, South America, and Europe. The purpose is to find out how the Cambodian prepare their foods and names they give to their foods.

Are you serious,How are we gonna do that? We don't have the resource to do that.
MadeInCambodia
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 02:34 PM) [snapback]3522150[/snapback]
Are you serious,How are we gonna do that? We don't have the resource to do that.

That is an interesting inquiry, Khamara. I do believe that where there is a will, there will be a way. What I post is just my thought or ambition or GOAL. The next step is to do the ACTION PLANS and gather the resources needed and how each step should be done and when it should be accomplished. I think the best way is the send a letter to each of the representative of those Cambodian communities, requesting the recipes of the various Cambodian foods.

It is my thought. I read about Michael Jordan, the former NBA Star. He wanted to "FLY" when he was much younger. So someone told him to plan out the steps to achieve his goal. So he practice jumping higher and higher. In reality, when he "took off" from any basket ball court, for a moment he did FLY in the air above all of his fellow basketball players.
khamara
QUOTE(MadeInCambodia @ Feb 24 2008, 03:54 PM) [snapback]3522202[/snapback]
That is an interesting inquiry, Khamara. I do believe that where there is a will, there will be a way. What I post is just my thought or ambition or GOAL. The next step is to do the ACTION PLANS and gather the resources needed and how each step should be done and when it should be accomplished. I think the best way is the send a letter to each of the representative of those Cambodian communities, requesting the recipes of the various Cambodian foods.

It is my thought. I read about Michael Jordan, the former NBA Star. He wanted to "FLY" when he was much younger. So someone told him to plan out the steps to achieve his goal. So he practice jumping higher and higher. In reality, when he "took off" from any basket ball court, for a moment he did FLY in the air above all of his fellow basketball players.

With due to your respect, I don't have anything against your ideas. I'm curious..Who am I to say that you CAN'T express your thoughs and ideas. All I'm saying is can IT be possible? Your dream and expression is your business,you have though thru it, you've plan, but I on the other hand have no ideas or plan to execute what being written down... so please don't let my curiousity stop you from excel your potential,dream and though...I don't meant no harm to your post or thread...carry on...
thebest
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]3522117[/snapback]
what about prahok ktis​ប្រហុកខ្ទិះ, tik kroeung prahok ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក(sack ko, tirk kroeung prahok ​សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក​ , prahok dot ប្រហុកដុត , prahok ang​រហុកអាំង,)what do you call that? you add prahok to food only prahok that not been cooked, when you add ingredient to prahok then it become a food...I should know about prahok, coz I ate it all the time...Khmer favorite food all the stuff that smell..excep sh_t,​អោយតែស្អុយ​
សុទ្ធតែម្ហូមខ្មែរទាំងអស់

លើកលែងតែអាចម៏​
khmer don't eat that ! laugh.gif

ប្រហុកខ្ទិះ 4 this 1 prohok is a meat they use prahok with pork and curry ingreadint it not only prahok. if only prahok that prahok is food.
ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក this 1 is the same prohok is meat agian with the ingreadint ( nut,some ជី, etc.)
ប្រហុកអាំង ប្រហុកដុត this 2 are the same they just put prahok with គល់ស្លឹកគ្រៃ, ក្រសាំ,​​ រឺ​ ម្ទេស so the food smell better.
សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក this 1 is like ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក and it not call សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក it called ពោះ​គោទឹកប្រហុក​ they just add a lot គល់ស្លឹកគ្រៃ and nut។
prahok is meat 4 all tho foods.u cant eat prahok without cook with somethings , so prahok is not a food. it just like pork, beef, r chicken. becasue we use a lot of prahok so most ppl think is a food.
thebest
QUOTE(Kambojiya @ Feb 24 2008, 11:58 AM) [snapback]3522094[/snapback]
I want to buy some of those books and learn myself. I love Sralaw Kuri with Noombachok.

We use to joke around about Khmer foods like for instance

Sralaw Machew Kah Ko

we'd say

Sralaw Machew Kdaw Ko

lol just for laughs

here the web learn how 2 cook khmer food

http://www.khmeronline.info/

or video in Utube:

Chicken curry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHv92ZEoAo
khamara
QUOTE(thebest @ Feb 24 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]3522220[/snapback]
ប្រហុកខ្ទិះ 4 this 1 prohok is a meat they use prahok with pork and curry ingreadint it not only prahok. if only prahok that prahok is food.
ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក this 1 is the same prohok is meat agian with the ingreadint ( nut,some ជី, etc.)
ប្រហុកអាំង ប្រហុកដុត this 2 are the same they just put prahok with គល់ស្លឹកគ្រៃ, ក្រសាំ,​​ រឺ​ ម្ទេស so the food smell better.
សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក this 1 is like ទឹកគ្រឿងប្រហុក and it not call សាច់​គោទឹកប្រហុក it called ពោះ​គោទឹកប្រហុក​ they just add a lot គល់ស្លឹកគ្រៃ and nut។
prahok is meat 4 all tho foods.u cant eat prahok without cook with somethings , so prahok is not a food. it just like pork, beef, r chicken. becasue we use a lot of prahok so most ppl think is a food.

thebest

Thanks for going thru all the troubles just to justify your points. You don't make any senses.So you say prahok is NOT a food? Well after mixed with all those ingredients,cook then served, You ate prahok, you don't throw it away...What your defenition of food? something that we ate,right? so prahok is food then,because we ate it !... seriously, If you don't think prahok is not food so be it.... we don't need to debate on this....
LiinA
the fruits in Cambodia is hekka bomb'en ^_^
just thinking about it...
i'm hungry... T_T
thebest
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 01:12 PM) [snapback]3522242[/snapback]
thebest

Thanks for going thru all the troubles just to justify your points. You don't make any senses.So you say prahok is NOT a food? Well after mixed with all those ingredients,cook then served, You ate prahok, you don't throw it away...What your defenition of food? something that we ate,right? so prahok is food then,because we ate it !... seriously, If you don't think prahok is not food so be it.... we don't need to debate on this....

how about kabi (កាពិ ) is it a food too ?
Goombaking209
QUOTE(MadeInCambodia @ Feb 24 2008, 11:26 AM) [snapback]3522134[/snapback]

Some Thai journalist have done that already. The cookbook, The Cuisine of Cambodia is just that. All the most authentic recipes compiled into one book. She gathered over 1000s of unique recipes from Everywhere in Cambodia.
Goombaking209
QUOTE(khamara @ Feb 24 2008, 10:52 AM) [snapback]3522082[/snapback]
Goomba:
Anything good in those cooking books? You know I like to cook too; of all of those three books which one is the best, clearity,pictures, coz I hate cooking book without picture of foods ..

The Cuisine of Cambodia for sure. There are pictures in that book in every page, its full of historical accords and Khmer food from the village kitchen to the royal cuisine, there is a recipe in that book biggrin.gif I got that book for about $44.
trickystyle
this is a nice one.
elephant walk

this one is no longer in print or maybe it is....? i also have these other two books that feature khmer recipes, i'll take a picture and show everyone when it is not almost 5 in the morning.
Goombaking209
the elephant walk is almost a rip off save for its juicy information regarding nearly every Cambodian recipe. I felt that a good 40% of the recipes in that book were all different kids of stir-fries :|
Kambojiya
QUOTE(thebest @ Feb 24 2008, 03:11 PM) [snapback]3522241[/snapback]
here the web learn how 2 cook khmer food

http://www.khmeronline.info/

or video in Utube:

Chicken curry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHv92ZEoAo

thanks biggthumpup.gif
mano2mano
samlor chu taphang ( sour stew bamboo shoots and chickens), bok lahong ( green papaya salad), chrewll and saiko ung ( barbecue beefs and salad),
transtic
I realise this is sorta off topic but it seems the traditional Cambodian diet is rather healthy.

Writing is rather small though.
khamara
QUOTE(transtic @ Feb 27 2008, 12:47 AM) [snapback]3528373[/snapback]
I realise this is sorta off topic but it seems the traditional Cambodian diet is rather healthy.

I don't think us khmer should worry about getting fat, I hardly see any fat khmer, except the lazy ones, who live in the city,sitting in office, leaching from the rest of khmer people are getting fat... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.