Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joining the Army
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > AF Entertainment > Career / Job Chat
Pages: 1, 2
matrix_x2
I have'nt told my friends or family...but now...I think I want to be in the army...

think about it, U don't need that much good grades, the goverment pays for your college, its all good.

being a police men, u need money for college which I don't have, and u have to do all this $hit when being a police men.

do u think I should?
tujue
oooh plz u f@g STFU

ATTENTION need u?
Chillin
My lazy-azz friends thought the same thing a few years ago when they joined.
Now, they are all dead embarassedlaugh.gif
Sad, yeah...but the world doesn't love us mentally lazy people.
"Are you saying that anyone who joins the military is dumb?"
No guy, please, not right now...not this morning..i dont feel like going through all that with you...please
P. Bredahl
QUOTE(tujue @ Mar 8 2008, 03:17 PM) [snapback]3552739[/snapback]
oooh plz u f@g STFU

ATTENTION need u?

JakeCutter
You'll get money for college IF you make it back. badteeth.gif
pun187
You could do it like geek4life I guess.

QUOTE(tujue @ Mar 8 2008, 04:17 PM) [snapback]3552739[/snapback]
oooh plz u f@g STFU

ATTENTION need u?

Don't be too harsh mate, he's still a kid.

matrix_x2
QUOTE(JakeCutter @ Mar 8 2008, 12:25 PM) [snapback]3552927[/snapback]
You'll get money for college IF you make it back. badteeth.gif

well i do want to fight for my country, also yeah thats cool.

but seriously, i'm not saying people joining the war is stupid, i'm saying is that i'm not that smart, and I don't know what else to think for my future.
Suijen
You're not even that old. When you turn 18 and are still thinking about it, then call again.
matrix_x2
QUOTE(Suijen @ Mar 8 2008, 12:47 PM) [snapback]3552951[/snapback]
You're not even that old. When you turn 18 and are still thinking about it, then call again.

well just have to wait two more years, i'm 16 right now. ^_^
JakeCutter
You're Asian. Of course you're smart.

If anything, go for the marines. Army has the highest death rates.
tujue
last year I was seriously considering going to teh academy for Officer but then I realised I like money so embarassedlaugh.gif
RobotChicken
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 8 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]3552954[/snapback]

profile says you're 15 lol
have fun getting killed =D
matrix_x2
QUOTE(RobotChicken @ Mar 8 2008, 12:55 PM) [snapback]3552963[/snapback]
profile says you're 15 lol
have fun getting killed =D

well no i'm 16, turned this year. I don't update my profile
tujue
it updates itself sure.gif
RobotChicken
QUOTE(tujue @ Mar 8 2008, 12:01 PM) [snapback]3552975[/snapback]
it updates itself sure.gif

lmao embarassedlaugh.gif
hugo boss
maybe you should join the US COAST GUARD ? or the NAVY?
pun187
Moving to Career/Job Chat.
iMumble
You have to be brave and tough if you wanna be in the Army.

Sadly no offense, but you don't seem to fit the bill right there.
hugo boss
QUOTE(iMumble @ Mar 8 2008, 10:54 AM) [snapback]3553099[/snapback]
You have to be brave and tough if you wanna be in the Army.

Sadly no offense, but you don't seem to fit the bill right there.

I agree, he seems too soft to be an Infantryman

he would be better suited to a non combat type MOS

thats why I suggested the US Coast Guard / Navy

he just doesnt seem like he would make a good ground pounder / grunt
RobotChicken
hmmm i wonder if i could be suitable for the army... i can aim and stuff laugh.gif (paintball much!!?!?!)
avisitor
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 8 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]3552944[/snapback]
well i do want to fight for my country, also yeah thats cool.

but seriously, i'm not saying people joining the war is stupid, i'm saying is that i'm not that smart, and I don't know what else to think for my future.

There are many options other than the army.
Look into your city's civil jobs listing.
Work for the post office?
Become a nurse?
Be a teacher? Summers off?
Let it be your last resort before choosing Army.
jiggyiggy
Go Air Force. They love geeky guys that are succeptable to insitutionalization.
NothingNothing
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 8 2008, 09:16 AM) [snapback]3552736[/snapback]
I have'nt told my friends or family...but now...I think I want to be in the army...

think about it, U don't need that much good grades, the goverment pays for your college, its all good.

being a police men, u need money for college which I don't have, and u have to do all this $hit when being a police men.

do u think I should?

yo.. try n get some HEADSHOT!!! beerchug.gif
2nd2none
Join the marines... If you really don't feel like seeing actual combat join the navy. Navy is changing a lot right now though, so hold off haha, but really join only if it's your last resort. There's much better things out there than joining the military. Like someone said, if you really want to serve your country get a civil job, peace officer, teacher, etc. Im in the navy right now, and it's the worse decision I've ever made, 4 years of life goes to waste :-/.
YuBumsuk
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 9 2008, 02:00 AM) [snapback]3552972[/snapback]
well no i'm 16, turned this year. I don't update my profile

Think very seriously about it. Even though there may be a better president in the future you still may end up having to finish up Bush's dirty work in Iraq. People who join the military young often become somewhat socially dysfunctional when they're older, too.
Suijen
QUOTE(2nd2none @ Mar 8 2008, 10:30 PM) [snapback]3554075[/snapback]
Join the marines... If you really don't feel like seeing actual combat join the navy. Navy is changing a lot right now though, so hold off haha, but really join only if it's your last resort. There's much better things out there than joining the military. Like someone said, if you really want to serve your country get a civil job, peace officer, teacher, etc. Im in the navy right now, and it's the worse decision I've ever made, 4 years of life goes to waste :-/.

Why so pessimistic?
2nd2none
QUOTE(Suijen @ Mar 9 2008, 03:13 PM) [snapback]3554129[/snapback]
Why so pessimistic?

Bad experience, that's all. Some things just aren't meant for certain people. I'm not the type who likes to get treated like a 5 year old.
Aardvark
Be a ground crew for airforce, you don't have to fight. Or join the navy to work on the carrier. But you should think deep into what you want to do before chosing military. But when you say military, there are tons of jobs to choose from.
we5leyz
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 8 2008, 05:16 PM) [snapback]3552736[/snapback]

do u think I should?

hi hi^^ mi naem ish westley, i am in da armi, army ish good 4 u, maek shore u pik infantwy, espsially infwantwy, u sweat and and blood and and hot
bluzusi
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 8 2008, 08:16 AM) [snapback]3552736[/snapback]

do u think I should?

Its good that you're thinking about options for your future. The military can be a good option for some. The Army, like all branches of the service have many career fields that can be considered. My son was in the Army, until injured in Iraq, and loved it. The sad fact is, however, that several of his close friends were killed there. Joining the Army is not a decision to take lightly. The best course of action is to talk about it with your family. At your age you'll explore all kinds of career options before making such a big decision. Take time to explore your interests, concentrate on your studies, and seek guidance and support from your family. In the end, you'll no doubt make the decision that is right for you.
Chillin
Man, if you join the army, those insurgents over there are gonna bust your @$$ because you won't be able to retain your training due to all the girly-cutesy $hit you brought with you. The difference between you getting torn up by small arms fire and a dedicated soldier getting torn up by the same thing is that the latter struggled to the end to be complete and protect his unit.
Dim_Sum_4_U
QUOTE(2nd2none @ Mar 9 2008, 03:03 AM) [snapback]3554215[/snapback]
Bad experience, that's all. Some things just aren't meant for certain people. I'm not the type who likes to get treated like a 5 year old.

Is the navy that bad? Damn, I was planning to join the navy to pay for my college...I'm out of state and there is no way I can make the payments...No joke, I'm transfering to the university of nebraska and its going to cost around 16k a sem. My uncle came back from the marines a year ago and said I should consider other departments.. Btw how is the navy changing? The recruiter, like all recruiters didn't make it sound that bad....then again its their job to make it sound good.
2nd2none
QUOTE(Dim_Sum_4_U @ Mar 13 2008, 10:44 AM) [snapback]3561990[/snapback]
Is the navy that bad? Damn, I was planning to join the navy to pay for my college...I'm out of state and there is no way I can make the payments...No joke, I'm transfering to the university of nebraska and its going to cost around 16k a sem. My uncle came back from the marines a year ago and said I should consider other departments.. Btw how is the navy changing? The recruiter, like all recruiters didn't make it sound that bad....then again its their job to make it sound good.

Well like most people said, it's all what you make of it. People say I just have a bad attitude about the navy, but I really don't, I tell it the way it is. People who pretend to like the navy lie to themselves to make them feel better that's all. The navy is changing as in, there's going to be new regulations, new uniforms, IA duty <--- if you don't know what that is, I'd suggest you check it out, sometimes IA are the only open billets when you choose orders and thus you get stuck with them :-/. Also first term sailors (guys doing their first 4/5/6 years w/o reenlisting) shouldn't be sent to $hitty commands, because when that happens you get a lot of guys that start hating the navy, kinda like me. I've been with this crappy command for years, and it's degrading to human life, even 2nd and 3rd term sailors hate this ship. My chain of command is really weak too, those guys won't fight for $hit, they pretty much get told what to do everyday and it's sad when you see e7-e8's getting told by other e7-e8's what they can and can't do :-/... Oh well like I said, it's all what you make of it though, who knows you might just like it and end up being a lifer, military life isn't for everyone. The marines is definitely a more prestigious branch, and most people think all they do is run and gun, but really there's other support jobs, so really, look into those support jobs instead of doing infantry, if you decide to join the marines, same goes for the army. I'm not going to tell you what service to join and what service not to join as I really don't know much, I'm just a first term sailor, but if you have questions ask away! If you ask me which service is the best, I'd say the air force lol get paid the same as I do and don't do half the work I do, I know this for fact, I've "worked" with guys from the airforce, they're lazy lol..
slider5
Honestly? I dont really know you but my impression of you is that you would not last even 1 day in the army, I dont think you would even make it through training, you aren't grasping what the reality is and the reality is in a war situation you are putting your body on the line everyday and risking your head being blown off or even cut off if captured. It aint no call of duty on the xbox son.
2nd2none
EDIT.
mynuong
DON'T DO IT

It's great to be in the army when the country isn't at war, but if you're an American, your country is constantly at war. icon_neutral.gif

USA do use biological/chemical weapons. It does not only affect the people in the "enemy" countries, but it also affect the SOLDIERS.

I really hope you'd reconsider because fighting for USA isn't as patriotic as it once was.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5326824137117584395
slider5
^^ I was referring to the the original thread starter not you _
Suijen
QUOTE(2nd2none @ Mar 13 2008, 04:46 PM) [snapback]3563888[/snapback]
That's probably why I didn't join the army... Like I said, it's all what you make of it, I hate the military lifestyle, but I can put up with it.. FYI, I've beaten marines at their own game in Camp Fuji, and Iwakuni, so don't give me that crap about making it through training, and as far as the war stuff, never been on the land over at the middle east, but my ship was there a few years back and we took over some pirate ships, however I do know what the reality is over there, obvioiusly there's no respawn points :-/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8

You're breaking FPS Doug's heart.
2nd2none
QUOTE(slider5 @ Mar 14 2008, 09:51 AM) [snapback]3564042[/snapback]
^^ I was referring to the the original thread starter not you _

Oh mybad bro lol, sorry man....

QUOTE(Suijen @ Mar 14 2008, 09:57 AM) [snapback]3564051[/snapback]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8

You're breaking FPS Doug's heart.

I loved that video icon_smile.gif.
Dim_Sum_4_U
I googled IA and I didnt get much but I think it stands for individual augment but im not 100% sure. I just found an article in the navy times and read it, but it seems like sailors dont know when they will be sent on ships or shores to work and when they are on these IA duties, most of them forget about college and other life plans. Is that how its going down? If so then that sucks because I looked at all the other branches and non of them have a medical type program in which I can hopfully inlist in. Could you elaborate on the IA thing for me if I got it wrong? Btw the article I was looking at was this one: http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/01/navy_iaduty_080120w/
we5leyz
All you guys are so @$$ fu-ked filled by the media, I don't even know what to say. If you really want to serve, join Army or Marines, and pick Infantry. You will hate the job, but you will love it at the same time. All you people saying he's going to get his headcut off and kidnapped, that only happens to POGs/paperpushers, not grunts, never and what the hell is the point of joining the Army in peacetime, how is that serving or defending your country at all?
Aardvark
Be a cook biggthumpup.gif
2nd2none
QUOTE(Dim_Sum_4_U @ Mar 15 2008, 02:54 AM) [snapback]3565709[/snapback]
I googled IA and I didnt get much but I think it stands for individual augment but im not 100% sure. I just found an article in the navy times and read it, but it seems like sailors dont know when they will be sent on ships or shores to work and when they are on these IA duties, most of them forget about college and other life plans. Is that how its going down? If so then that sucks because I looked at all the other branches and non of them have a medical type program in which I can hopfully inlist in. Could you elaborate on the IA thing for me if I got it wrong? Btw the article I was looking at was this one: http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/01/navy_iaduty_080120w/

That's pretty much the way it is. If you're going to be a corpsman, then you're chances of going Fleet Marine Force are really high, right now a lot of people who want to reenlist in the navy in their original rate are being denied and have to put in a conversion to HM if they want to stay in the Navy. There's a new navadmin stating that you have to get at least 3-6 months notice before you go through your IA training. Sailors will know when they're going on shore or ship, but they won't get to choose if they want to go on shore or ship, but this applies to first term sailors only. For every rate there's a sea and shore rotation, like for me I'm an Electricians Mate, my sea and shore rotation is 5 years at sea 2 years of shore duty. I think army has a medical program, but I'm not sure, a friend of mine joined the army and said he was doing something in the medical field, but I don't know, haven't talked to him in years. Are you looking to do something in the medical field in the service?
Dim_Sum_4_U
Yes, Im looking to gain experience as a surgeon or anything in that field. But thankyou for the information. I'll probably end up joining the navy anyways even though i could be sent somewhere that I would not enjoy but if it pays for my college, then I kind of have no choice. I guess I hope to meet you someday while on duty.
Chillin
I hope you reconsider Dim Sum.
Dim_Sum_4_U
QUOTE(Chillin @ Mar 16 2008, 04:52 PM) [snapback]3570793[/snapback]
I hope you reconsider Dim Sum.

Why?
Subotai
QUOTE(matrix_x2 @ Mar 9 2008, 01:16 AM) [snapback]3552736[/snapback]

do u think I should?

I applied for the military back when I was at teens, starting with Army Cadets until I was 16 when I submitted my official application for the positions of either rifleman or combat engineering. The positions weren't available however, and I didn't want to take their recommendations for special forces or officer training - I wanted to start off from ground up. So my application was put on hold and I went into other ventures for my career.

Years later the Iraq War happened and Australian troops were sent off to fight, the army finally called me and said 'we have a vacancy now for the positions you applied for', and I was like 'WTF? You waited so damn long and now you want to train me up and ship me off to fight America's war for oil - fu-k IT', and canceled my application.

Moral of the story - the training is good, the money is good, the benefits are good, but you're signing up to be a tool for politician's will, pffft 'for your country' my @$$ when Iraq was a war that Australia should not have been involved in. If you want to sign away your life to some idiot politician then go for it - but if you're smart, you'll find other ventures of success.
Chillin
I'd only join the PLA because keeping China together is a lot safer than going to Iraq.
Suijen
QUOTE(Subotai @ Mar 18 2008, 03:20 AM) [snapback]3575555[/snapback]
If you want to sign away your life to some idiot politician then go for it

The entire point of a military
2nd2none
QUOTE(Dim_Sum_4_U @ Mar 17 2008, 12:03 AM) [snapback]3570035[/snapback]
Yes, Im looking to gain experience as a surgeon or anything in that field. But thankyou for the information. I'll probably end up joining the navy anyways even though i could be sent somewhere that I would not enjoy but if it pays for my college, then I kind of have no choice. I guess I hope to meet you someday while on duty.

You won't have the opportunity to meet me while in the service, I'll be leaving the service in about 27 days icon_smile.gif. Good luck to you bro. If you go FMF take care of your marines, and they'll take care of you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.