Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why are Filipinos Asian, and not Pacific islanders.
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Filipino Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Gideon
Flips in NY think of ourselves as asian... everybody thinks I'm asian when first seeing me. My entire family living all over the U.S. thinks flips are asian. No one has ever said I was polynesian or pacific islander. West coast people are confused. Its the gangster wanna be black/spanish flips that dont want to be concidered asian cuz they want a harder "look". Asians are stereotyped as being weak so some flips, I guess wanted to seperate themselves from that stereotype.
kunkhmer
QUOTE (Gideon @ Apr 7 2011, 07:14 PM) *
Flips in NY think of ourselves as asian... everybody thinks I'm asian when first seeing me. My entire family living all over the U.S. thinks flips are asian. No one has ever said I was polynesian or pacific islander. West coast people are confused. Its the gangster wanna be black/spanish flips that dont want to be concidered asian cuz they want a harder "look". Asians are stereotyped as being weak so some flips, I guess wanted to seperate themselves from that stereotype.

probably because the west coast has a much larger polynesian/micronesian population and the filipinos over there are more likely to be influenced by their culture. like you said, negative stereotypes of asians being nerds and physically weak is a big reason why some west coast filipinos choose to identify more with pacific islanders and not asians....i guess its sounds more cool and exotic to them

asian stereotype
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_PZruf5pPg
Prau123
I've had other Asians tell me that I'm not Asian.

Many Filipinos do consider themselves to be Asian by the way. The Southeast Asian identity or a Pacific Island identity only matters if you ask them specifically enough what type of Asian they are. Pacific Islanders such as Samoans, Hawaiians, and Micronesians are Asian in my book. Some may not consider themselves to be Asian, but I've spoken to a few that do identify to being Asian.

Filipinos identify to being Filipino first. The Asian or Pacific Islander identity is a far second.
maharlikangpilipino
QUOTE (Prau123 @ Apr 7 2011, 11:40 AM) *
I always considered myself to be Asian, but strangely enough it was other Asians who did not consider us to be Asian, or Asian enough, or to be lesser Asian, or that we somehow cannot represent Asian. Just like Indians from India who consider themselves to be Asians, but many other Asians don't consider them to be Asian, or Asian enough, or to be lesser Asian, or cannot represent Asian. Can you blame us Filipinos for wanting to separate from our Asian identity a bit, and forming our own?

same goes for my cousins in the US. they say the same thing. it's like the other asians don't consider them 100% asian(probably because of the culture? very liberal which is not so asian, very non-eastern practices perhaps?)
heck even in the PHL there are people who consider Filipinos not asian enough calling Filipinos "MARGINAL ASIANS" I mean wtf?!?!?! eek.gif

I think it's better if we form our own identity. We're already unique when we associate ourselves with asians, we become even more unique when we try to form our very own identity and we'll give them a whole new meaning to "Asian".
emmthreejonny
Identity Crisis 101. Pacific islanders are people mainly belonging to the Polynesian islands and at least culturally relevant with each other. Geographically we are part of Southeast Asia and politically we have been members of SEATO, ASEAN and so forth.

Taiwanese aborigines who are said to be have a very close genetic build-up with Filipinos are not Pacific Islanders but are categorized as Asians.

A 2002 China Medical University study indicated that some Filipinos shared genetic chromosome that is found among Asian people, such as Taiwanese aborigines, Indonesians, Thais, and Chinese.
source Wikipedia

It is disturbing why this continues to be a very hot topic here. But this would explain why this country is so divided; (and I'm not talking about us living in islands.)
qaib
Asian -- people from the regions of/near Asia.
AsiaticGlory
Filipinos, Malays, and Indonesians are a mix of Asiatics, Aborigines, and Negritos. Aborigines/Negritos are Pacific Islanders. Geography is a poor way of racial classification.

Read this:
http://www.andaman.org/Background/Background.htm

Race is also not just about skin color. I point this out b/c a lot of Asians seem to think race is just skin color.

Those light-skinned Africans don't look European, do they?
Nia69
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 9 2011, 06:40 PM) *
Filipinos, Malays, and Indonesians are a mix of Asiatics, Aborigines, and Negritos. Aborigines/Negritos are Pacific Islanders. Geography is a poor way of racial classification.

Read this:

Race is also not just about skin color. I point this out b/c a lot of Asians seem to think race is just skin color.

embarassedlaugh.gif Ewww wth! Nasty! Is that actually for real? embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
emmthreejonny
QUOTE (Nia69 @ Apr 10 2011, 07:53 AM) *
embarassedlaugh.gif Ewww wth! Nasty! Is that actually for real? embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

These are African Albinos. Seriously, I don't see the relevance why people posted these picture here except to poke fun of these people.

Is Asiafinest the Asian version of Stormfront?? icon_confused.gif
PeterKChan
Asians, Pacific Islanders and Native Americans (American Indian tribes) are all from the same race. (by extension, the mextiza Latinas and mixed race Central Asians have a lot of our blood too). Even Samoans have a lot of similar Asian genetic markers. We need to feel proud of our Asian race and not worship others no more. We need to have a united states of Asia
emmthreejonny
QUOTE (PeterKChan @ Apr 10 2011, 04:34 PM) *
We need to have a united states of Asia

Hahaha.

No.

This is what Imperial Japan wanted before and during World War II; The 'Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere'? They wanted to rid Asia of westerners. Nothing good comes out of this. We don't need another organization based on racial prejudices.
DPSlock
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 9 2011, 07:40 PM) *

Read this:

You can't just lump Filipinos, Malays, and Indonesians together

you do realize that insular SEAsia as a whole is freaking diverse...indonesia itslef has a population of 300 million people with people from all kinds of diverse backgrounds and admixtures

is this eastern indonesian girl of the same stock as this central-eastern filipina woman???

LaLaLao
Filipino are considered Asians because they are closer to Southeast Asians rather than Pacific Islanders. The only Filipinos that call themselves Pacific Islanders are the ones born in America. Real Pacific Islanders don't consider Filipinos one of them. They aren't culturally related either. Islanders wear grass skirts and are more like tribe people and stuff. Taiwanese people and Japanese people are Islanders to but they don't call themselves Pacific Islanders. I know Filipinos from the actually Philippines and they call themselves Asian. IDK why so many Asians in America are so ashamed of it but its probably becuz how they portray Asians in America even though they don't know the differences between east and southeast asia. But in my school they group Asians and Pacific Islanders together. Maybe becuz Pacific Islanders came from Asia lol icon_wink.gif
AsiaticGlory
QUOTE (emmthreejonny @ Apr 10 2011, 01:07 AM) *
These are African Albinos. Seriously, I don't see the relevance why people posted these picture here except to poke fun of these people.

Is Asiafinest the Asian version of Stormfront?? icon_confused.gif

Yes, it wasn't on-topic. I just posted that picture of African albinos to make the point that race isn't just skin color. My experience on AsiaFinest is that many Asians are convinced that race is just skin color when that is not true.

Very few Asians care about race so I doubt it.

QUOTE (PeterKChan @ Apr 10 2011, 03:34 AM) *
Asians, Pacific Islanders and Native Americans (American Indian tribes) are all from the same race. (by extension, the mextiza Latinas and mixed race Central Asians have a lot of our blood too). Even Samoans have a lot of similar Asian genetic markers. We need to feel proud of our Asian race and not worship others no more. We need to have a united states of Asia

Aren't you the guy who obsesses over white and Latina women? No offensive but you can't claim Asian pride if you mix with other races. Think about it. Why take pride in your race if you breed it out of your family gene pool? The Seljuk Turks were once Asian but after generations of mixing with Middle Eastern people, their descendants do not look Asian at all.

This is what Seljuk Turks looked like:

After settling in Anatolia (now known as Turkey) for the next thousand years, their Asiatic blood disappeared and they became Middle Eastern.

QUOTE (emmthreejonny @ Apr 10 2011, 05:04 AM) *
Hahaha.

No.

This is what Imperial Japan wanted before and during World War II; The 'Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere'? They wanted to rid Asia of westerners. Nothing good comes out of this. We don't need another organization based on racial prejudices.

The Far East belongs to Asiatics. Whites belong in Europe. Blacks belong in Africa.

QUOTE (DPSlock @ Apr 10 2011, 07:39 AM) *

you do realize that insular SEAsia as a whole is freaking diverse...indonesia itslef has a population of 300 million people with people from all kinds of diverse backgrounds and admixtures

is this eastern indonesian girl of the same stock as this central-eastern filipina woman???

I just said that Filipinos, Malays, and Indonesians were a mix of Asiatics, Negritos, and Aborigines. All three groups are just mixed people. Southeast Asia is very mixed. Although the Vietnamese on average look more Asiatic. Malays and Indonesians are more Aboriginal.

The eastern Indonesian girl does not look Asiatic at all. She looks more like someone from India. The central-eastern Filipina woman qualifies as a non-mixed Asiatic.
martin_nuke
QUOTE (DPSlock @ Apr 10 2011, 07:39 AM) *

Ejay is that you?
DPSlock
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 10 2011, 06:32 PM) *
Yes, it wasn't on-topic. I just posted that picture of African albinos to make the point that race isn't just skin color. My experience on AsiaFinest is that many Asians are convinced that race is just skin color when that is not true.

Aren't you the guy who obsesses over white and Latina women? No offensive but you can't claim Asian pride if you mix with other races. Think about it. Why take pride in your race if you breed it out of your family gene pool? The Seljuk Turks were once Asian but after generations of mixing with Middle Eastern people, their descendants do not look Asian at all.

This is what Seljuk Turks looked like:

After settling in Anatolia (now known as Turkey) for the next thousand years, their Asiatic blood disappeared and they became Middle Eastern.

The Far East belongs to Asiatics. Whites belong in Europe. Blacks belong in Africa.

I just said that Filipinos, Malays, and Indonesians were a mix of Asiatics, Negritos, and Aborigines. All three groups are just mixed people. Southeast Asia is very mixed. Although the Vietnamese on average look more Asiatic. Malays and Indonesians are more Aboriginal.

The eastern Indonesian girl does not look Asiatic at all. She looks more like someone from India. The central-eastern Filipina woman qualifies as a non-mixed Asiatic.

lol you just grouped those groups together...so why differntiate between the eastern indonesian girl and the central east filipina woman???
DPSlock
Filipinos

Pacific Islanders

u honestly cant tell the difference??

XigonCongchua
Malaysian, Filipinos, and Indonesians are similar and they all are Asian. beerchug.gif
martin_nuke
Hey ejay can you see the difference?

AsiaticGlory
QUOTE (DPSlock @ Apr 10 2011, 09:44 PM) *
lol you just grouped those groups together...so why differntiate between the eastern indonesian girl and the central east filipina woman???

My point was that the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia are all very diverse countries. But you are right. Filipinos do seem more Asiatic on average than Malays or Indonesians.

But there are also Negritos who live in the Philippines.

Although they are a minority.

China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, and Mongolia are the only countries that can qualify as 100% Asiatic. Taiwan and Vietnam are close enough.
DPSlock
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 11 2011, 12:03 AM) *
My point was that the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia are all very diverse countries. But you are right. Filipinos do seem more Asiatic on average than Malays or Indonesians.

China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, and Mongolia are the only countries that can qualify as 100% Asiatic. Taiwan and Vietnam are close enough.

but they are a minority..an anomoly..thats like using china's african migrants to try to prove chinese are african

China, Japan, SK are NEAsian....or northern asiatic

Philippines, Lao, Thailand are southern asiatic

thats the difference....its a fallacy to say all SEAsian are mix...when only few are actually mix...majority are southern mongoloid type
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 10 2011, 11:35 PM) *

one is mestiza...the other is chinese
martin_nuke
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 10 2011, 11:03 PM) *

Why are most Filipinos Sundadonts which indicates that Filipinos have Australoid Ancestry so most of Filipinos are mixed. If Filipinos are pure Mongloloids they should be Sinodonts.
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 12:34 AM) *
Why are most Filipinos Sundadonts which indicates that Filipinos have Australoid Ancestry so most of Filipinos are mixed. If Filipinos are pure Mongloloids they should be Sinodonts.

northern monogloid- sinodont

southern mongoloid- sundadont....sundadont are also present in lao, thai, bornean...who u would probably write off as chinese anyway
you don't fully accept anyone who doesn't look negrito
martin_nuke
So why do you keep on comparing Koreans to Filipinos and Koreans are Sinodonts?
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 01:23 AM) *
So why do you keep on comparing Koreans to Filipinos and Koreans are Sinodonts?

no one is comparing dumbass...its your foolish @$$ who keep on bringing up NEAsians

if u wanna be black so bad...why do you hang out in an asian forum??? take your black @$$ to some afrocentrist site
emmthreejonny
QUOTE (AsiaticGlory @ Apr 11 2011, 06:32 AM) *

Ah, okay fair enough.

What are you trying to say? icon_neutral.gif
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 10 2011, 11:35 PM) *

why don't you compare southern chinese...who are southern mongoloid to insular SEA like philippines instead

southern chinese girl

filipina girl from cali

Papuan

you

as you can see the filipina girl shares more similarities with the southern chinese girl...but you share more similarities with papuan

hence why you seem to be australoid bias....what you fail to understand is Philippines is not a homogeneous country...just cuz you have extremely strong papauan features doesn't mean everybody is just like you...it depends on the person...some people/ groups have higher australoid count then others..
martin_nuke
QUOTE (DPSlock @ Apr 11 2011, 01:17 PM) *
why don't you compare southern chinese...who are southern mongoloid to insular SEA like philippines instead

southern chinese girl

filipina girl from cali

Those are mixed with Han Chinese.
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 01:28 PM) *

southern chinese is already mixed with han chinese....but why does she look similar to filipina girl

just like you...you are mixed with papuan...hence why you look papuan??

martin_nuke
This is Southern Chinese

DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 01:36 PM) *
This is Southern Chinese

he has more northern han chinese admixture
the southern chinese girl I posted looks more southern mongoloid....

southern china used to be majority southern mongoloid until northern mongoloids took over

SEA used to be australoid until southern mongoloids took over

you are part of the original australoid group I assume...hence why you have angst for filipino southern mongoloids

martin_nuke
How can he be Northern Han he is a Hongkonger?

These are Pinoys mixed with Northern Han and you should be proud of the Pinoy Kpop group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raxih1bbtfU
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 01:42 PM) *
How can he be Norhtern Han he is a Hongkonger.

These are Pinoys mixed with Northern Han and you should be proud of the the Pinoy Kpop group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raxih1bbtfU

Guandong China (area HK) has many genetic ties to Taiwan and Philippines

he is not northern han...but han people came from the north and mixed with the southern mongoloids of the region

filipinos who are mixed with chinese are mixed with southern chinese...not northern han...

stick to the topic stop trying to railroad the thread..thank you
martin_nuke
Did you enjoy the video?
AsiaticGlory
QUOTE (emmthreejonny @ Apr 11 2011, 07:12 AM) *
What are you trying to say? icon_neutral.gif

I support racial separatism but I am against the use of military aggression against other people.
Gideon
QUOTE (DPSlock @ Apr 11 2011, 01:17 PM) *

filipina girl from cali

ITS THIA MEGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gideon
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 01:28 PM) *

How do you know Thia has Han Chinese in her? I looked up her bio's and can't find anything. I hope your not just assuming that by how she looks.
austronesian0sailor
QUOTE (Gideon @ Apr 11 2011, 08:09 PM) *
How do you know Thia has Han Chinese in her? I looked up her bio's and can't find anything. I hope your not just assuming that by how she looks.

There's people all over the visayas that look like that girl. I don't think the visayan people are highly mixed with chinese

martin_nuke
When I first saw Thia Megia I thought that she was Chinese until I saw her surname and I begin to realize that she is Filipina. I think she is about 1/4 Chinese.

Filipinos are diverse that you can tell if they are mixed with something else without even looking at their biography.
austronesian0sailor
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 08:44 PM) *
When I first saw Thia Megia I thought that she was Chinese until I saw her surname and I begin to realize that she is Filipina. I think she is about 1/4 Chinese.

Filipinos are diverse that you can tell if they are mixed with something else without even looking at their biography.

She doesn't look part Chinese. You're reaching.
martin_nuke
Thia Megia's mother is Cynthia Lising form Pampanga and Lising is a Chinese surname.

Why wont some Filipinos admit if they have Chinese ancestry or something? Orap admits that he is a Filipino with Chinese ancestry unkike Ejay who has ovious Chinese Ancestry but wont admit it.
austronesian0sailor
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Thia Megia's mother is Cynthia Lising form Pampanga and Lising is a Chinese surname.

Why wont some Filipinos admit if they have Chinese ancestry or something? Orap admits that he is a Filipino with Chinese ancestry unkike Ejay who has ovious Chinese Ancestry but wont admit it.

So the majority of Visayans (whom this girl looks like) are mixed with Chinese?
martin_nuke
Majority of Visayans do not look like that maybe in some areas in Visayas.
DPSlock
QUOTE (austronesian0sailor @ Apr 11 2011, 09:48 PM) *
She doesn't look part Chinese. You're reaching.

martin doesn't accept anyone unless they look full negrito....thia megia is not black enough to be filipino for martin
DPSlock
QUOTE (martin_nuke @ Apr 11 2011, 10:44 PM) *
Majority of Visayans do not look like that maybe in some areas in Visayas.

I got family members who look like that....and Im visayan

I don't think you should speak for visayans since you aren't one....just speak for the patay gutom of tondo
martin_nuke
So that proves that you have Chinese ancestry,
proudpinoy18
QUOTE (MommyStatus @ Apr 14 2008, 06:14 PM) *
FILIPINO's from the philippines are ASIANS!! i thinks Filipino's got the name PACIFIC ISLANDERS because alot of us Filipinos migrated to Hawaii, Guam..etc and Filipino's born in Guam and Hawaii adopted the name pacific islanders -- but Filipinos born in the philippines are called ASIANS!!

i think people tend to forget that filipinos are really asians because filipinos had strong spanish influence.... but this should not be the main factor to consider, when we look down southern Philippines, the culture there clearly indicates that filipinos are definitely asians icon_neutral.gif icon_neutral.gif icon_neutral.gif
havegumwilltravel
The word: “Asian’ is used very loosely around the world. It’s used and viewed differently from person to person, and from country to country. It also changes in different paperwork in some government departments; such as the Census. But if we are to really look at the Asian countries, you will be surprised, especially considering all the sub-regions that make up Asia. I will use the Americas for example; who are the real Americans? Which America we are talking about? Is it South; Central; North; Mexico; U.S., or Canada? See what I mean?

If you remember in your 1st grade geography, Asia is a continent, made up from a vast variety of countries. A person from India, Pakistan, and Iran or from the Philippines can all be considered: ‘Asian’, because they all reside in the ‘Asian’ continent and its surrounding islands. Look at it this way: ethnically, a person that is Persian from Iran, is really a proud ‘Persian’ and not do not consider themselves an ‘Asian’. This same way of thought can be direct towards the idea of calling a person from China; are they ‘Chinese’, ‘Asian’ or ‘Oriental’? (Orient; Latin for Eastern Asian); but which one is correct?

It comes down to people trying identifying themselves; depending on what part of Asia they are from. Maybe it comes down to what they are most proud of, or even making themselves seem more in-line with cultural classification and acceptance in the world, like some in the U.S. for example. Remember, an ‘Asian’ is not a race, culture or a nationality, and most countries view an ‘Asian’ as being from the ‘East-Asian’ countries; China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Mongolia. So if a person from Uzbekistan saying they are ‘Asian’; they are correct. I hope this puts the term ‘Asian’ into perspective, and on what labels you, for whatever reasons you choose. Next lesson is ‘Europeans’.
AsiaticGlory
QUOTE (havegumwilltravel @ Apr 15 2011, 04:54 PM) *
If you remember in your 1st grade geography, Asia is a continent, made up from a vast variety of countries. A person from India, Pakistan, and Iran or from the Philippines can all be considered: ‘Asian’, because they all reside in the ‘Asian’ continent and its surrounding islands. Look at it this way: ethnically, a person that is Persian from Iran, is really a proud ‘Persian’ and not do not consider themselves an ‘Asian’. This same way of thought can be direct towards the idea of calling a person from China; are they ‘Chinese’, ‘Asian’ or ‘Oriental’? (Orient; Latin for Eastern Asian); but which one is correct?

It comes down to people trying identifying themselves; depending on what part of Asia they are from. Maybe it comes down to what they are most proud of, or even making themselves seem more in-line with cultural classification and acceptance in the world, like some in the U.S. for example. Remember, an ‘Asian’ is not a race, culture or a nationality, and most countries view an ‘Asian’ as being from the ‘East-Asian’ countries; China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Mongolia. So if a person from Uzbekistan saying they are ‘Asian’; they are correct. I hope this puts the term ‘Asian’ into perspective, and on what labels you, for whatever reasons you choose. Next lesson is ‘Europeans’.

This is just more proof that geographic terms do a poor job of talking about race. Mongoloid and Oriental are much more accurate terms but the politically correct crowd feels offended. If they hate being called Mongoloid/Oriental so much, why don't they at least invent a new term that is less confusing.

Us Asiatic Mongoloids of East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Siberia, Northeast India, and the Arctic regions of Canada/Alaska are part of a race that is different from the Arabs, Persians, Indians, Pakistanis, Turkish, etc. To our race, India is as foreign as England.

"European" is less confusing b/c pretty much everyone indigenous to Europe is a light-skinned Caucasoid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.