Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tattoo Ideas
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Indonesian Chat
Pages: 1, 2
mutiha
Hey guys

new to the board, still dont remember how i stumbled upon it but ive had a fun time reading the threads. As the topic says Im looking at getting a tattoo. A little bit about me I was born in AUS with full batak background and im in UNI studying. Anways I want a tattoo that represents my Indonesian heritage as im proud of being Indonesian and want to show that off haha being born is AUS you can realise.

Anyone have any pictures or ideas ? I was looking at a Garuda which is currently my number 1 choice but yeah any other ideas will be welcomed !

Thanks
DutchEastIndiesMan
^my avatar ? itu Garuda.
Majapahitans
How about Batak ethnics ornaments.....

The Batak's ornament usually rendered in Black, Red, and White.
(Remember, Batak's color is Black, Red, and White)

I think it would be cool tattoo pattern

Or a picture of Batak's c@ck...?

Now that waaay cool.... biggthumpup.gif
senyum
The Garuda seems a great idea. Bendera aja! ha3
rasibiduk
QUOTE(Majapahitans @ Jun 14 2008, 09:50 AM) [snapback]3754911[/snapback]

I think it would be cool tattoo pattern

Now that waaay cool.... biggthumpup.gif

Maj, are u sure that's Batak design? Isn't it Torajan? I used to live not too far from Torajaland thats why I'm very familiar with their motifs. But either way a Torajan motifs is a great idea for tattoo:

click here:

Toraja Wood-carving motifs

It is uniquely Indonesian. Sure the Dyaks have Tattoo culture but it is a shared heritage with their Malaysian brothers. So not so unique lah. If I'm not mistaken, the Mentawaians off-Sumatra have also tattoo culture- better do some googling then.

mutiha
Ive going to have to show my dad those batak designs and see if he can confirm whether it is or not. I would love something tribal like that but over in AUS it will only get mistaken for being a Pacific Islander design i.e nz/fiji/samoa/tonga etc.

Ive looked at google images for pictures of Garudas but nothing really good comes up, anyone got any good pictures ? modified versions of the indo emblem ?

cheers
DutchEastIndiesMan
^yah ini my display pic is a modified version of the national emblem.
Just google it, you should easily find it.
I agree with you, the tribal tattoos will make you look like islanders.
mutiha
Im looking as we speak haha I can only find images of the indonesian garuda pancasila.

If I type "garuda" into google it links me only to thai and indian versions.

What do you think of the tattoo just being like it is -

Will it look to hardcore ? haha
DutchEastIndiesMan
let me help you finding it.

[after 15 mins]

Sorry could not find the a modified version...... shrug.gif
sorry for my misleading promises. bowdown.gif
Maybe you could ask an artist to modify the Garuda. Make it more stylish.
iyahcure
QUOTE(DutchEastIndiesMan @ Jun 16 2008, 06:33 AM) [snapback]3757618[/snapback]
let me help you finding it.
[after 15 mins]
Sorry could not find the a modified version...... shrug.gif
sorry for my misleading promises. bowdown.gif
Maybe you could ask an artist to modify the Garuda. Make it more stylish.

bless your soul,cause you are forgiven.

beerchug.gif
DutchEastIndiesMan
^Ohh thank you mate. beerchug.gif
Majapahitans
QUOTE(rasibiduk @ Jun 14 2008, 10:37 AM) [snapback]3754995[/snapback]
Maj, are u sure that's Batak design? Isn't it Torajan? I used to live not too far from Torajaland thats why I'm very familiar with their motifs. But either way a Torajan motifs is a great idea for tattoo:

Yeah I'm sure, I had visited this Batak HKBP church in eastern Jakarta while ago when I was helping my mother catering for Batak wedding party for muslim guests... (Yes Batak wedding party usually had two separated table for two set of dishes: for muslim /halal food, and for non-muslim/usually contains pork and even dog meat).

The Batak ornaments look exactly like that, especially those black red and white color.

mutiha
Thats fine guys if you cant find it

BTW The pic doesnt work
DutchEastIndiesMan
Finally I found the link where i got my pics.....
It's a blog called Kementrian Design Indonesia
link to it...http://menteridesainindonesia.blogspot.com
http://kdrimerchandise.blogspot.com/ and http://menteridesainindonesia.blogspot.com...men-gegana.html
^They're all from the same webby, It's a bit hard browsing their webby, so I guess I'll you more links.
have fun searching, They got heaps of cool stuffs there. Their work is just so magnificent.
lostnexposed
write yr favorite word in Batak script. hehe!

or I've seen some Indonesians with the Nusantara tattoo, but it doesn't look nice though.
mikemanusama
hey guys i stumbled across this post becasue I am indonesian as well. Although i dont look like it, I am 6'5 pale, and have red hair (because my mother is irish). my father is born and raised in jakarta, and I wanted to get a tatto to pay hommage to his side. The first thing i could think of was a garuda as well. I was originally going to go with the hindu version (with a humans body) but i know now that id like to have a more modern version of it. So i am just checking by to see if anybody really has found a modified verision of the Indonesian Coat of Arms. Secondly, my last name is Manusama, yes, my great uncle was president of the mollucan islands. After a lot of research I am still confused as to if the coat of arms of indoensia is a good tattoo to get being that my family is mollucan. Is there a conflict in that?

Kresna
QUOTE(mikemanusama @ Aug 16 2008, 06:27 AM) [snapback]3873225[/snapback]
hey guys i stumbled across this post becasue I am indonesian as well. Although i dont look like it, I am 6'5 pale, and have red hair (because my mother is irish). my father is born and raised in jakarta, and I wanted to get a tatto to pay hommage to his side. The first thing i could think of was a garuda as well. I was originally going to go with the hindu version (with a humans body) but i know now that id like to have a more modern version of it. So i am just checking by to see if anybody really has found a modified verision of the Indonesian Coat of Arms. Secondly, my last name is Manusama, yes, my great uncle was president of the mollucan islands. After a lot of research I am still confused as to if the coat of arms of indoensia is a good tattoo to get being that my family is mollucan. Is there a conflict in that?

Your great uncle was president of the South Molluca's. Let's not equate Mollucan with being seperatist here. But it's up to you. If you support South Mollucan independence, a Garuda would be a bad idea because it represents the unitary state of Indonesia. If you don't support South Mollucan independence, a Garuda would be perfectly ok.
jiwa
QUOTE(Majapahitans @ Jun 14 2008, 09:50 AM) [snapback]3754911[/snapback]

That one looks cool! And then all 360 degrees horizontally around the arm!
DutchEastIndiesMan
QUOTE(mikemanusama @ Aug 16 2008, 12:27 PM) [snapback]3873225[/snapback]

Well Hello, I agree with Kresna a Garuda would get you beaten up by Pro Mollucan Independence supporter. embarassedlaugh.gif
About the new version of the Garuda, I've seen some..Have you checked the link i gave earlier ?? They designed emblems and logos with a more modern approach to it. You should check the website, it may give you some inspiration.

http://menteridesainindonesia.blogspot.com
http://kdrimerchandise.blogspot.com/
mikemanusama
thanks for your replies, I will talk it over with my father since it was HIS uncle and he lived there. He would probably have some knowledge on where I should stand politically
Kresna
QUOTE(mikemanusama @ Aug 16 2008, 05:20 PM) [snapback]3873802[/snapback]
thanks for your replies, I will talk it over with my father since it was HIS uncle and he lived there. He would probably have some knowledge on where I should stand politically

Well, I hope you yourself decide where you stand politically! embarassedlaugh.gif

But anyway, if the tattoo was meant to honour your family's heritage, a Garuda is maybe a bad idea.
mikehunt69
QUOTE(mutiha @ Jun 14 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]3754825[/snapback]
Hey guys

new to the board, still dont remember how i stumbled upon it but ive had a fun time reading the threads. As the topic says Im looking at getting a tattoo. A little bit about me I was born in AUS with full batak background and im in UNI studying. Anways I want a tattoo that represents my Indonesian heritage as im proud of being Indonesian and want to show that off haha being born is AUS you can realise.

Anyone have any pictures or ideas ? I was looking at a Garuda which is currently my number 1 choice but yeah any other ideas will be welcomed !

Thanks

how about HORAS?

I think naga morsarang have some nice designs too.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/bata/ho_1987.453.1.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Silver-Batak-M...1QQcmdZViewItem
jrockerz
try this
http://indymedia.nl/nl/2006/06/36811.shtml

BrooklynCarter
do you want to see the tattoo in my..... boobs? lol jokes. get a dragon tattoo ^^
DutchEastIndiesMan
^In you're boobs ??? hows that possible ???? On your boobs you mean ??? laugh.gif
BrooklynCarter
^ well it's still there after lol hahahahahah i love teasing guys about it ^^ you should have seen their faces..
Bhaskara
It's really cool that you are proud of your Indonesian heritage! How about having a tattoo of your name written in Batak scipt? icon_wink.gif
OmBl3ss
whats with asians and dragon tattoos.. i know too many asian peeps with one

but then again.. it looks pretty bad @$$ and i kinda want one now hahah
jason76
how bout some pics of indos withs tatts..i'm still undecided on what type of indo theme tatt to get...
Bhaskara
There are thousands of tribal designs in Indonesia, as it is an ancient art of our islands. In the past, all men and women have tattoos. How about Mentawai tattoos?

Even if you want to have something like "dragon", we have our own styles which are different from designs from other Asians. Like this "dragon" tattoo of Dayak people:

Or if you want you can write your name of favorite phrase in one (or more) of our traditional scripts. There are many to choose from. Since you are a Batak, how about in Batak script?

I personally like Javanese script (even though I'm not a Javanese myself):

Good luck!
Zaw-Gyi
QUOTE(Majapahitans @ Jun 14 2008, 02:50 PM) [snapback]3754911[/snapback]

alternative is

portuguese rooster

made famous in Uk by Nandos embarassedlaugh.gif

DutchEastIndiesMan
^I ate Nandos for dinner.....humm it's nice....eating Nandos for breakfast too.
Majapahitans
Amazing similarity Portuguese and Batak rooster.

Howabout Balinese tattoo

I think this Balinese Garuda tatto is cool... biggthumpup.gif

And this Barong tattoo is totally wicked

I think this Japanese dragon tattoo in ethnic tribal style is awesome.
Grandmaster C
whooooaa the last one is pretty coool...
but it should be more in harmony with the abs imo. the rest of it is fine (pecs n arms).
jason76
whats the indonesian word for tattoo, i think i read somewhere tattoo is a polynesian word? cant be bothered googling it
Majapahitans
QUOTE(jason76 @ Jan 14 2009, 10:05 PM) [snapback]4085560[/snapback]
whats the indonesian word for tattoo?

Tato or Rajah
jason76
QUOTE(Majapahitans @ Jan 16 2009, 12:15 AM) [snapback]4086122[/snapback]
Tato or Rajah

thx 4 that
XxRyoChanxX
you should do like a batik pattern or something, that would be cool
jason76
guy that does tatts here in perth, his an indonesian --dayak...

http://www.morleytattoo.com/profiles.html
unqlriq
Hi Guys,

Just stumbled across this post when searching for references to Toraja and batak Tattoo references.

Funnily enough I am of Toraja / Batak / Manado decent. My Grandmother was from the Rantegau family.. descendants of the royal family. My Father is Batak, my mother is Toraja Manadonese. I was born and raised in Australia.

The Toraja and Batak people are believe to have descended from the same people. The origins are believed to be from Cambodia. When they were swept into Indonesia from a big storm they used the boats as roofs over their houses. This explains why parts of their language is similar, the traditional houses are very similar and the art work at times is the same.

I am in the process of designing a tribute to my torajan heritage .. ill keep you guys posted ....

hope this helps...

btw .. if you go to bali .. look for a tattoo studio called Buddha face Tattoo... The owner Gung De and one of his employees Lanyuk do very good balinese and Indonesian design. Tell them ricky from sydney sent you. He has a facebook page if you want to browse aswell.
Grandmaster C
lately i'm thinkin about getn a tattoo.
kalo jadi it has to be a HUGE one, not a small sissy tattoo. still dont know what exactly,
but what i know for sure it's gonna be somethin like this:
QUOTE (Majapahitans @ Jan 12 2009, 11:13 PM) *
I think this Japanese dragon tattoo in ethnic tribal style is awesome.

but less tribally. about the same size.
tangawizi
dude, u'll look retarded 20 yrs later ...
Grandmaster C
ahhahhahahah!!!
naah maybe 30.
so u dont like tattoos?
in fact i'm not really in to tattoos either, but lately i'm just thinkin about it...
Majapahitans
^^ I think its cool...
With body like yours, go for it man...!

Then again maybe you should do a temporary one, in case you might get bored of it someday.... icon_smile.gif
Mana tau bosen, mendingan yang bisa diapus...
drakuli
Go for it GC!

I also love it. But maybe I'll take the temporary tattoo only, and not including the abs. Lol, my abs is not that flat yet. tongue.gif

... ...

After second thought, since my arm skin is dark, I don't think the tattoo will look good on me. I should only put it on my upper arm or torso or back, the skin there is quite bright.
Grandmaster C
hmm kalo yg temporary emang brp lama?
it's gonna be ugly when it fades out...
tangawizi
I don't mind tattoos so long as it's done tastefully grand..

must do it with pain killers me thinks.. don't think i can ever be able to withstand the pain of a full body tattoo..

also, the tattoo must be so meaningful of an event in my life that i wanna mark it as a reminder for the resta ma life, i won't do a tattoo juz cuz one morning i woke up and felt like doing it for fun, dat's juz me... icon_neutral.gif

but if i were to do a tattoo, i'd like to do it like this lady who's a japanese novelist who wrote a memoir of her life as a yakuza gangster's daughter

you can read about her true life story here ..

i think her tattoo really has a meaning, because it tells her real life story

this japanese lady now lives in Tokyo with her baby

so what do u say? be a gangsta lover then do the tattoo or tattoo first then gangsta??? embarassedlaugh.gif
Grandmaster C
now that's too much...
what a turn-off.
Majapahitans
I love yakuza tattoo...
especially Carp fish and Bosatsu (Boddhisattva)

(ignore the man-buttcheek....)

Btw this intreactive Giraffe tattoo crack me up.... Lolz... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tangawizi @ Apr 11 2010, 08:56 PM) *
also, the tattoo must be so meaningful of an event in my life that i wanna mark it as a reminder for the resta ma life, i won't do a tattoo juz cuz one morning i woke up and felt like doing it for fun, dat's juz me... icon_neutral.gif

Speaking of meaningful and important moment of life (or even... history)
Howabout 9/11
Shalli
The worst thing I ever did was cover myself in tattoos, I've got 8 and one covers half of my left arm. I was 14 when I had my first one and I thought it was super cool, 11 years on I hate them and prob will never be able to afford to get rid of them. People always want to see and it's so embarrassing having people staring at me whenever I've got my arms or legs on show. Get a small one and put it on your back. Don't make a stupid mistake like I did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.