Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bolehland?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Malaysian Chat > Malaysian Serious Talk
hateracist
hello....
honestly im new here........

i notice that several malaysians call/refers malaysia as bolehland....
can someone explain that to me
is it suppose to be an insulted?
or is it a nickname that i didnt know which already established.....

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 10:14 AM) [snapback]3816700[/snapback]
hello....

Racist, you in da right place! beerchug.gif
hateracist

why suddenly i become racist?
im asking becoz honestly i dont know......
if u dont know the answer to my question.....just dont post
easy right.......

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 10:19 AM) [snapback]3816706[/snapback]
why suddenly i become racist?
im asking becoz honestly i dont know......
if u dont know the answer to my question.....just dont post
easy right.......

You call yourself racist. Is that a trick question?
hateracist

i see....
so seanmoran.. u racist right?
hmm
please dont spam ok?
im sorry if u get me wrong......
im just asking....curiosity

please dont turn things around...please

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]3816715[/snapback]
i see....
so seanmoran.. u racist right?
hmm
please dont spam ok?
im sorry if u get me wrong......
im just asking....curiosity

please dont turn things around...please

Perhaps it would be nice if you could explain the reason for choosing the username of "hate racist" and then on your first post starting a thread like this?

We have more than enough racists here already and we don't need any more, but if you want to join the ranks it's not really that much more of a problem than we already have, so bring it on mate. beerchug.gif
hateracist

i choose hate racist because i hate racist people.....
i been going through this forum for like 2 month....but i dont register....
then i notice people using bolehland as oppose to malaysia......
so i wanted to know.but i couldnt ask as a guest..so i registered n ask....
and u seanmoran suddenly attack me?

please give me the answer or get the hell out of this topic..
easy to understand right?

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]3816727[/snapback]
i choose hate racist because i hate racist people.....
i been going through this forum for like 2 month....but i dont register....
then i notice people using bolehland as oppose to malaysia......
so i wanted to know.but i couldnt ask as a guest..so i registered n ask....
and u seanmoran suddenly attack me?

please give me the answer or get the hell out of this topic..

Just change youir username to something less offensive.

hateracist

haiih
is it offensive?
i dont think i have to change my username...... i dont think i can change it
im sorry seanmoran if u get me wrong
but i just wanted to know

so back to my question....
anyone out there know why?
please tell me

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 10:50 AM) [snapback]3816730[/snapback]
haiih
is it offensive?
i dont think i have to change my username...... i dont think i can change it
im sorry seanmoran if u get me wrong
but i just wanted to know
so back to my question....
anyone out there know why?
please tell me

I suppose that the choice of username can be taken in two very different ways, but there are two major issues that people will get wrong, even if you are trying to demonstrate by your username, even if not with your inaugural thread topic, that you are not an advocate of racial hatred, but the converse.

Firstly, hate and racist really go together as a very negative pair which detract from any meaningful dicsussion you might wish to postulate, because wherever you are on the forum, there will be those two words of "racist" and "hate", which excites the lower lifeforms in most untalented ways. It's a very negative choice of words, although I can accept that you meant well in your endeavours.

Secondly, I forget what that second reason was now.

The simplest means to change your username to something friendlier (to avoid this same problem in future), would be to log into Yahoo! Mail and set up a new email account just for the forum, then rejoin under the name that you will find written somewhere on the first page of your passport and viola! No problems if you act quiclky before your postal count gets past Newbie status.

I can give you the hyperlink to Yahoo! if you need it. beerchug.gif
hateracist

@seanmoran
seriously dude....
i dont see anything wrong with my username
too lazy to register again........
haiih

i think u misunderstood me in the first place because of my poor english
sorry about that
its not my first language

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 11:07 AM) [snapback]3816743[/snapback]
@seanmoran
seriously dude....
i dont see anything wrong with my username
too lazy to register again........
haiih

i think u misunderstood me in the first place because of my poor english
sorry about that
its not my first language

I reckon I've had enough of a dig at you for the choiuce of name, and I appreciate that we may have saved what would have turned into a rather not nice argument from drowning in flames.

I'll shutup about that one thing I saw earlier, for I'm fairly strongly opposed to any form of raciosm, and I see that the subtle meaning in your username might be the right one. I hope we can get along alright from now on. beerchug.gif

Here is a link I just dug up for Bolehland:

http://www.magickriver.net/culture.htm

It has this image on the page, and it was so nice I have to link it. I hope these can help to answer the thread question.

hateracist

yeah seanmoran....
lets get along
nice to meet you

we have something in common
we both hate racism in any way

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 11:26 AM) [snapback]3816754[/snapback]
yeah seanmoran....
lets get along
nice to meet you

we have something in common
we both hate racism in any way

You can call me Sean, mate. That's how I can tell which passport is mine because it's got my name on it. beerchug.gif

I'm sorry that I saw both connnotations to your username, but drew the short straw, partly because that's just the way that people in general will get a first impression, but maybe it can have quite good effect as a weapon AGAINST racist attitudes on this forum, and believe me, (although as you mentioned you have been reading the diatribe that goes on in this place), you'll get more real good racism here than you will on any tour bus anywhewre in any country in Asia. lol3.gif

Also, I was wondering about your question on Bolehland and saw it as perhaps some kind of flame thread, but I do get a little trigger-happy on here lately.

I had seen the word Bolehland before, but didn't really know the meaning until you mentioned it here, so this is actually a very informative thread, because now you've inspired me to find out for myself, so thanks mate..

Umm, may I call you Ateraci or something other than the two words I just don't want to use to address anybody?

Great to meet you and I'm sorry I jumped when I should have limboed.
beerchug.gif

hateracist

well you can call me raul........
im from malaysia
where u from or staying now?

lets put our argument behind us
haha

SeanMoran
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 11:56 AM) [snapback]3816769[/snapback]
well you can call me raul........
im from malaysia
where u from or staying now?

lets put our argument behind us
haha

Thanks for asking Raul.

I'm in Perth, Australia. I joined the forum last December originally, because I want to try to keep in touch with Thailand while I'm away, and I'm interested in SEA very much. That is why I happen to be outside Asia but still here on this forum. I'm Australian born but have many friends in Thailand, and want to do the right thing by them because most of my Thai friends write Interent English about as well as I speak Thai: Not all that articulately. That's why I try to stick up for my mates too. Speak for them like they would always speak up for me when I didn't know what to say in a second language.

Before I take off waxing philosophically, I've never been past the border crossing south of Hat Yai into Malaysia and the only Malaysian I can remember from Australia was a girl I knew in 1998 of Chinese descendancy, so I'm not often in the Malaysian Culture chat section, but I hope we catch up in the Lounge or around the traps sometime. beerchug.gif

I believe that there is a bridge from Singapore to KL and I'm hoping to ride my bicycle from Perth to Beijing or Vientiane or Chiang Mai next year, so maybe I can pitch my tent in your backyard on my way through? beerchug.gif

Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(SeanMoran @ Jul 18 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]3816719[/snapback]
Perhaps it would be nice if you could explain the reason for choosing the username of "hate racist" and then on your first post starting a thread like this?

We have more than enough racists here already and we don't need any more, but if you want to join the ranks it's not really that much more of a problem than we already have, so bring it on mate. beerchug.gif

Actually SeanMoran there's nothing racist about this thread. 'Bolehland' is usually a satirical name for Malaysia, a play on Malaysia's oft-used cheer 'Malaysia Boleh', or 'Malaysia Can'. But of course, I'm sure you knew that already.

@hateracist: I myself didn't really know at first whether 'bolehland' was an insult or just another harmless name for Malaysia. But after pondering its origin and observing how it's used I'm more or less convinced that it's often used negatively.
SeanMoran
QUOTE(Crystallised Dream @ Jul 18 2008, 02:45 PM) [snapback]3816977[/snapback]
Actually SeanMoran there's nothing racist about this thread. 'Bolehland' is usually a satirical name for Malaysia, a play on Malaysia's oft-used cheer 'Malaysia Boleh', or 'Malaysia Can'. But of course, I'm sure you knew that already.

We realise that now. It was just the choice of username in combination with the thread that made me wonder if someone was up to no good at first, so I went into anti-troll mode in case of sabotage, but as you have read in this thread, we have worked out that the thread and the OP are both legitimate. beerchug.gif
hateracist
QUOTE(Crystallised Dream @ Jul 18 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]3816977[/snapback]

@hateracist: I myself didn't really know at first whether 'bolehland' was an insult or just another harmless name for Malaysia. But after pondering its origin and observing how it's used I'm more or less convinced that it's often used negatively.

@Cristallised Dream:thats why im asking....because i often seen 'bolehland' is used negatively in this forum.

@Seanmoran: actually my hometown is far away from KL..i dont think its on your why to Beijing or Chiang Mai
haaha....but all the best for that
Crystallised Dream
Well, I understand why people use 'bolehland', but nevertheless despite our country's failures I'd never resort to replacing 'Malaysia' with a mere 'bolehland'. It's an annoying name regardless of its origin anyway.

If Malaysia is a 'bolehland', then we Malaysians are 'bolehlandians'. Hahah self-owned.

The strange thing is I never really see people of other nationalities replacing their countries' name with something satirical. Either I've not looked around enough, or such a thing doesn't exist outside Malaysia.

But anyway I hope Malaysia will be able to raise up on her feet again and the next time people call her 'Bolehland', it will be because she really 'boleh'.
hateracist

yup3

i dont what their intentions.......
but i just feel like those people want to make fun of Malaysia
maybe im wrong
but who knows?

Malay proverb,peribahasa or watever: siapa makan cili dia rase pedas

right?

unregistered
Bolehland was coined by a Singaporean journalist/reporter if I'm not mistaken.(sorry in advance if this info is incorrect, I read this somewhere) laugh.gif
Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 19 2008, 01:36 AM) [snapback]3817354[/snapback]
yup3

i dont what their intentions.......
but i just feel like those people want to make fun of Malaysia
maybe im wrong
but who knows?

Malay proverb,peribahasa or watever: siapa makan cili dia rase pedas

right?

The usage of Bolehland is most likely to be satirical than anything.

QUOTE(unregistered @ Aug 2 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]3846693[/snapback]
Bolehland was coined by a Singaporean journalist/reporter if I'm not mistaken.(sorry in advance if this info is incorrect, I read this somewhere) laugh.gif

Really? Couldn't find anything in Google though. : (
unregistered
^take it with a pinch of salt. I don't even remember where I read it. icon_neutral.gif
Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(unregistered @ Aug 6 2008, 07:19 AM) [snapback]3852622[/snapback]
^take it with a pinch of salt. I don't even remember where I read it. icon_neutral.gif

Haha yup. Thought Google would be a help when I typed the unbias 'bolehland term origin'. icon_neutral.gif One of the Malaysian mysteries along with the origin of the Malaysian flag and RAHMAN theory I suppose. embarassedlaugh.gif
kumanddie
kumanddie
kumanddie
Crystallised Dream
The photos are obviously fake.

Look at the inconsistent lighting, and Najib's very very weird position in the 2nd photo. I have an education in design and have used Photoshop a lot of times myself, so it's not hard to see that the photos are fake. Not to mention that the lady in the photos are not Altantuya, but is actually the late Korean singer-actress, U-Nee.

http://www.pingbook.com/picdb/news/0701/unee2.jpg

Doesn't the girl in green bear a 'striking resemblance' to the lady in the first photo?

I don't have time to watch the other two videos, but I've read news about RPK's allegation of Najib and Rosmah's involvement, as well as PI Balasubramaniam's first SD which confirms that. However sadly that guy just has to retract the SD less than 24 hours later... if he didn't it would've certainly given more edge to the investigation. Nevertheless I wouldn't be surprised if the Deputy PM and his wife are involved.

kumanddie
HangPC2
Chaiyuuk Land
kumanddie
kumanddie
kumanddie
kumanddie
deadfish
QUOTE(kumanddie @ Aug 20 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]3883511[/snapback]
Crystal , please check the shadow and the sun angle spot. I have no knowledge about photoshop. Can you verify those pictures.

rofl. Ain't it friggin obvious that it is fake? =.=
leeman
QUOTE(hateracist @ Jul 18 2008, 04:14 AM) [snapback]3816700[/snapback]
hello....

Bolehland Means Anything also CAN if u have the right connection and money talks!!! RED TAPE!! Malaysia Boleh is another word for meaning sucess,won! KAUTIM(Settle later) also another word which many Malaysian malays know this!!! MAS (Mana Ada System) another word singaporeans always use this word, On how our malaysian roads and drivers! Means we dont follows road signs,simply park cars and rude as hell!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.