Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Khmer script help thread
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
applepannic
I have a question. I know when you have first series consonants (aws), all the second series consonants in the same word loses their inherent "o" and is treated like first series. Does the same apply to second series consonants at the beginning of the word converted using mousekatoan?
Goombaking209
Generally the O-consonant does lose its inherent o, but there are some exceptions. In my experience, these consonants will always read as a-vowels and only a-vowels. កចដតថបឋសអ As you can see, most of these are the first consonants of the first column of its order in the alphabet.
applepannic
So the same applies if I changed ម with a ៉, so ម៉ាមា will read as mama?
mushrooms
QUOTE(applepannic @ Aug 6 2008, 02:00 AM) [snapback]3853717[/snapback]
So the same applies if I changed ម with a ៉, so ម៉ាមា will read as mama?

No, that will be read as Mamea because this word is not a real word.

This applies for loanwords too like from French, you will sometimes see the trey sop and or mouskaton used in the same word if needed.
applepannic
Not to sound thick or anything, so a second series consonant will have no dominance whatsoever even when converted?
Goombaking209
QUOTE(applepannic @ Aug 6 2008, 04:15 PM) [snapback]3854875[/snapback]
Not to sound thick or anything, so a second series consonant will have no dominance whatsoever even when converted?

Don't worry about sounding thick, this is what you made the thread for icon_wink.gif

Anyway it all depends. ម៉ាមា will read as "mamea" because Mo is a "stubborn" consonant that will always read as 2nd series vowel.
mushrooms
Right. You read each syllable independently and ignore all the dominance/influence of preceding consonants.
applepannic
Thanks, once I got the hang of reading basic sentences and paragraphs, I think I'll get the hang of how it works. I remember trying to learn English, I would always read and then wrongly pronounce cake as kakee.
Goombaking209
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Aug 6 2008, 04:32 PM) [snapback]3854905[/snapback]
Right. You read each syllable independently and ignore all the dominance/influence of preceding consonants.

But what about the words សាលា តុលា and មាលា ?
mushrooms
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Aug 6 2008, 04:51 PM) [snapback]3854937[/snapback]
But what about the words សាលា តុលា and មាលា ?

Sorry, I mean for words that use the musikaton or trey sap, you are suppose to read all syllables independently as if they have no dominance over each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.