Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making Games in Java, Can only make small games?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > AF Entertainment > Technology Chat
jobocom
Once i was making a big game , it was going well . my plan was like 20 levels so i loaded 20 big images. and tons of character animation images .
But i couldnt even get it to start cause java couldn't handle it. I had to have only 2 images instead of 20.

That's crappy. SO if i want to make java games i have to have rally small fram size or ...make games using only the Java graphics( basic shapes and colors) and no Images at all?

ttocs
You should use C/C++.

QUOTE(jobocom @ Aug 7 2008, 10:22 AM) [snapback]3856382[/snapback]
Once i was making a big game , it was going well . my plan was like 20 levels so i loaded 20 big images. and tons of character animation images .
But i couldnt even get it to start cause java couldn't handle it. I had to have only 2 images instead of 20.
That's crappy. SO if i want to make java games i have to have rally small fram size or ...make games using only the Java graphics( basic shapes and colors) and no Images at all?

jobocom
But if i use C C++ i have to rewrite the thing if i want to share with Windows users . I'm on mac.

cabbit
Java's not made for complex gaming however, you can have more advanced shapes. You just have to build the classes yourself to use them. Try using the LineStripArray to accomplish this.

I've never tried to load images in Java but I'm pretty sure it can handle more than 2 images. Perhaps you have a memory leak in your program somewhere?

You can write your program to comply with ANSI C and it should retail the portability feature that you desire.
martin_nuke
For Mobile Phones Java is the best choice for game development and I have created hundreds of java games for cellphones and the development tools are free from http://www.sun.com. The advantage also of writting games in Java for mobile phones is that it write once run anywhere and no more porting or recoding on different phone platforms.

Some of the games I made in Java http://125.5.124.146/martin/javagames/index.htm
ttocs
Use Java threads may improve performance.

QUOTE(jobocom @ Aug 7 2008, 10:22 AM) [snapback]3856382[/snapback]

nricklee
I don't like playing games which r made under Java platform.
martin_nuke
Java has a good Graphics Engine the JMonkey Engine

Java has also superior Graphics and there is also a good 3D graphics modeler, animator and renderer Software made entirely in Java The Art of Illusion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.