Of course, you have your own choices and so have I. As you go over the list of The 15 Best Filipino Actresses of All Time, drawn up by the Directors?Guild of the Philippines Inc. (DGPI) through its president Carlitos Siguion-Reyna, as requested by Yes! magazine editor-in-chief Jo-Ann Maglipon, you will surely wonder how come this or that actress isn抰 on the list when she was memorable in this or that movie.
Well, as I抳e said, you have your own list and Yes! magazine and the DGPI have their own.
The criteria: The candidate抯 choice of films; the impact, importance and legacy of her performance in these films; the consistency of excellence in those portrayals; and other important services to cinema in particular and to society in general.
The DGPI officers who sat as board of judges included Joel Lamangan, chairman; Carlitos Siguion-Reyna, president; Emmanuel Borlaza, vice-president; Joey Romero, secretary; Mel Chionglo, treasurer; and Erik Matti, Maryo J. delos Reyes and Romy Suzara, board members.
Here抯 the Honor Roll (and some of the actresses?memorable films), in alphabetical order (for the complete coverage, see the September issue of Yes! magazine):
1. Gina Alajar (Bayan Ko: Kapit sa Patalim, Orapronobis, Salome, Brutal and Moral)
2. Nora Aunor (Minsa抷 Isang Gamu-Gamo; Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos; Bona; Bulaklak sa City Jail; Condemned; Merika; Andrea, Paano Ba Maging Ina?; Ina Ka ng Anak Mo; Sidhi, Bakit May Kahapon Pa?; and The Flor Contemplacion Story)
3. Nida Blanca (Korea, Waray-Waray, Batanguena, Luneta, Ikaw Kasi, Miguelito and Sana Pagibig Na)
4. Sharon Cuneta (Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin?, Bukas Luluhod ang Mga Tala, Pasan Ko ang Daigdig and Madrasta)
5. Rita Gomez (Reyna Bandida, Ganid sa Laman, Tatlong Magdalena, Avenida Boy, Pagdating sa Dulo and Larawan, the stage play)
6. Hilda Koronel (Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag, Kung Mangarap Ka抰 Magising, Angela Markado, Nagsimula sa Puso, Tanging Yaman and Crying Ladies)
7. Elizabeth Oropesa (Pinakamagandang Hayop sa Balat ng Lupa; Lumapit, Lumayo ang Umaga; Nunal sa Tubig; and Bulaklak ng Maynila)
8. Cherry Pie Picache (Sibak, Paraisong Parisukat and Bridal Shower)
9. Lolita Rodriguez (Gilda, Sapagkat Kami抷 Tao Lamang, Tubog sa Ginto and Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang)
10. Gloria Romero (Dalagang Ilokana, Palaboy, Mga Anak sa Pagkakasala, Beloved, Eternally and Tanging Yaman)
11. Rosa Rosal (Anak Dalita, Badjao and Biyaya ng Lupa)
12. Vilma Santos (Burlesk Queen, Relasyon, Broken Marriage, Ikaw ay Akin, Miss X, Sister Stella L., Hahamakin ang Lahat, The Dolzura Cortez Story, Dekada ?0 and Bata, Bata, Paano Ka Ginawa?)
13. Charito Solis (Kundiman ng Lahi; Angustia; Malvarosa; Igorota; El Filibusterismo; Ina, Kapatid, Anak; City After Dark; Kisapmata; and Playgirl)
14. Maricel Soriano (Galawgaw, Pabling, Hinugot sa Langit, Kaya Kong Abutin ang Langit, Ikaw Pa lang ang Minahal, Dahas, Mila, Mano Po and Abot-Kamay ang Pangarap)
15. Lorna Tolentino (Moral, Aliw, Maging Akin Ka Lamang, Luksong Tinik, Narito ang Puso Ko and Mano Po 2) * * *