Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Malaysian Traditional Costumes
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Malaysian Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Crystallised Dream
Just thought it would be good if we could enlighten non-Malaysian AFers (and even ourselves!) on Malaysian traditional costumes. We always claim to be a multicultural country, but I haven't found a thread that really showcases this diversity. Here are just some costumes, if you have other interesting costume photos/information (e.g. functon, origin etc) to share you are welcome to do so. I might have missed out some other ethnicities, if so you may add to these too.

Malays ( + Minangkabau)

I find that the Malays have a wide variety of costumes apart from the generic baju kurung and baju Melayu outfits. Here are some of them according to states, including the Minangkabau costumes:

Perlis

Kedah

Penang

(Straits Malay)

Kelantan

Terengganu

Perak

Pahang

Melaka

Negeri Sembilan (Minangkabau)

Selangor

Federal Territory (KL)

Johor

Sarawak
Crystallised Dream
Orang Asli

Chinese

(Performance Costume)

Indians

(North India)

(Gujerat)

(Punjab)

Baba-Nyonya

Portuguese

Arab
Crystallised Dream
Dayak (Sarawakian Natives)

Iban

Bidayuh

(Priestess)

(Harvest)

Melanau

Crystallised Dream
Dayak (Sarawakian Natives) cont.

Orang Ulu:

Kayan/Kenyah

Kelabit

Lun Bawang

Penan

Bisaya

Crystallised Dream
Sabahan Natives

Kadazan (Penampang)

Kadazan (Papar)

Irranun/Illanun

Suluk

Bajau

Dusun Lotud (Tuaran)

Murut

Rungus

Brunei

Protoculture
An old image of yesteryear Malay guys & ladies in their traditional outfit;

Protoculture
Malay Traditional Wedding Costumes (with Contemporary outlook)

Various female costumes (traditional / ethnic)

Current Muslim Malay Traditional Wedding Attire

Protoculture
A Panglima (Malay warlord) dress from Perak

Stamp by POS MALAYSIA, Traditional-Clothes theme 2006

MY Indian Attire

MY Chinese Attire

MY Malay Attire

Protoculture
MY Sikh communities in traditional costumes

MY Chinese traditional dance costume

MY Indian traditional dance costume

Ralf
Great to see the start of this topic.
There are many styles of clothing here that I have not seen before.
Protoculture
MY Sarawakian traditional dance costume

MY Sabahan traditional dance costume

MY Malay traditional dance costume

Protoculture
MY Malay traditional dance costume Part 2

Protoculture
MY Malay traditional dance costume Part 3

MY Aboriginal (Orang Asli) Dance Costume

Protoculture
SARAWAKIAN NATIVES

To add to Crystal post:

Iban

Sarawakian Malay lady

Protoculture
Colors of Malaysia

Malay female Baju Kurung

Chinese Attire

Indian Attire

Ralf
I saw some examples of traditional Sarawak style when I was in Kuching.

Protoculture
From exotic land of Sarawak Borneo

Melanau

Sarawak Malay

Orang Ulu

Bidayuh

Iban

Sarawakian Chinese

Protoculture
I saw some examples of traditional Sarawak style when I was in Kuching.

Sufficed to say, Sarawak is the best example (with Sabah) of how multicultural, multi religious society living in harmony & prosper.

Both Malays & non Malays in West Malaysia (Peninsular MY) should try to emulate their East MY (Borneo) cousins!
Protoculture
Malay Traditional Dance Attire

Protoculture
Malay Traditional Wedding Attire - Songket

Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(Ralf @ Oct 28 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]3985808[/snapback]
Great to see the start of this topic.
There are many styles of clothing here that I have not seen before.

Glad to know this thread has been an enlightening one for you, as it has been even for me. ; )

edit: Oh and you've been to Kuching? When?

Of course, how could I have forgotten the Bugis!

There's also the Javanese community, but it's quite hard to find photos of their costumes in Malaysian websites which is ironic because there are many examples of their influence in Malaysia, e.g. Mee Jawa (Javanese noodles), the Kuda Kepang dance, and roads/villages named after the community, or by the community to name a few.

Dance/Performance Costumes:

Chinese Dance

Nobat (Royal Orchestra)

Mak Yong (traditional dance drama of Kelantan, banned from the state since 1991 when the Islamic Party of Malaysia - PAS - took over Kelantan)

From the Javanese:
Joget Gamelan

(Joget Gamelan Pahang)

(Joget Gamelan Terengganu)

Kuda Kepang
Protoculture
Malay Traditional Wedding Attire - Songket 2

Protoculture
Malay Traditional Wedding Attire - Songket 3

Crystallised Dream
Wedding Attire

Royal

Melaka

Johor

Javanese

Iban

Rungus

Chinese

Baba Nyonya

Indian

Re-enactment of the Sultan of Malacca and Princess Hang Li Po's wedding. I thought it was a really cute picture! Got it from http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Mala...photo429507.htm. According to the source the little blond girl was 'one of the tourist children visiting the area who wanted to be part of the show.' Haha cute.

Crystallised Dream
Costumes of Legends

Perak princesses

Cik Siti Wan Kembang

Classical Malay Ladies' Fashion

Baju Kurung Johor

Baju Turki, also known as Baju Riau-Pahang

All the photos with orange borders were taken from the auction webpage of Nusantara Gems, which offers costume rentals with claims that their products are authentic down to the smallest detail. Which I don't think I'll contest, because they have very well-made costumes!

Crystallised Dream
Costumes of Legends

Perak princesses

Cik Siti Wan Kembang

Classical Malay Ladies' Fashion

Baju Kurung Johor

Baju Turki, also known as Baju Riau-Pahang

All the photos with orange borders were taken from the auction webpage of Nusantara Gems, which offers costume rentals and claims that their products are authentic down to the smallest detail. Which I don't think I'll contest, because they have very well-made costumes!

Ralf
QUOTE(Crystallised Dream @ Oct 28 2008, 11:17 PM) [snapback]3985879[/snapback]
edit: Oh and you've been to Kuching? When?
I was backpacking though Borneo in 2005.
I flew in from KL and explored Kuching for a few days, and then took a bus south through Entikong.
Sorry these pix are not really relevant to the topic, but I wanted to show that I really was there.

Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(Ralf @ Oct 28 2008, 09:02 PM) [snapback]3985942[/snapback]
I was backpacking though Borneo in 2005.
I flew in from KL and explored Kuching for a few days, and then took a bus south through Entikong.
Sorry these pix are not really relevant to the topic, but I wanted to show that I really was there.

I see, backpacking through Borneo? That's pretty interesting!

Thanks for the pics. Cats in the first picture certified genuine. ; P
Protoculture
Keep up the good work, Crystal!

I'll chip in when time permits!
Crystallised Dream
QUOTE(Protoculture @ Oct 28 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]3985948[/snapback]
Keep up the good work, Crystal!

I'll chip in when time permits!

No prob, Proto! Thanks too, good job you did there with the pics. : ) And how come only the miak Sarawak are contributing? embarassedlaugh.gif Anyway hope to see more from other Malaysian members, non-Malaysian members are welcome to contribute as well should you come across any interesting photos or information.

Protoculture
And how come only the miak Sarawak are contributing?

Sik tauk mek, sidak nang mauk bergaduh ajak.

Guys, please, contribute!
theng
Nice thread !!! Like I said...I will contribute once I have more time on my hands embarassedlaugh.gif *Looks at my signature*
HangPC2
Malay Women 19th Century

The Lafayette Collection

http://lafayette.150m.com/asia.html

Colonel HH Paduka Sri Sultan 'Abdu'l Hamid Halim Shah II ibni al-Marhum Sultan Ahmad Taj ud-din al-Mukarram Shah, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of the State of Kedah Dar ul-Aman, KCMG (1864-1943) [Malaysia]

KEDAH, SULTAN OF
Neg. No: (GP) 7061a
Neg. Size: 15"x12"
Neg. Date: 30-06-1911

Biog: Reigned 1882-1943

Date: 30 June 1911

Occasion: Visit to Buckingham Palace on the morning of 30 June 1911 to receive the Insignia of a Knight Commander of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George, conferred in connection with the Coronation of King George V, 22 June 1911.

Descr: TQL seated.

Costume: Silk jacket with the motif "Ya Allah" in Arabic characters [NB sometimes the wording appears upside-down]; sarong.

Tunku Mahmud

MAHMUD, TUNKU
Neg. No: (GP) 7059

Biog: President of State Council of Kedah [Malaysia]

Date: 30 June 1911.

Occasion: Coronation of King George V, 22 June 1911.

Colonel HH Maulana Paduka Sri Tuanku Sultan Sir Idris Murshid al-Azzam Shah Rahmatu'llah ibni al-Marhum Raja Bendahara Alang Iskandar, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of the State of Perak, GCMG, KCMG, CMG, GCVO (1849-1916) [Malaysia].

PERAK, SULTAN OF
Neg. No: (GP) 7063

Biog: Reigned 1887-1916.

J M Gullick, Malay Society in the Late Nineteenth Century, Oxford 1989, p 69 n 92

Sultan Idris was the only one of the four FMS rulers who was able to take part in the debates at the first meeting of the new FMS Federal Council in 1909... As a young man he was one of the rather raffish circle around his cousin, Sultan Abdullah... He was an opium smoker whom Birch judged 'rather a debauchee' (J W W Birch, The Journals of J.W.W. Birch, First British Resident to Perak 1874-1875, edited by P.L. Burns, Kuala Lumpur, 1976). The turning point perhaps came with the arrival in Perak of Hugh Low in 1877. Within weeks Low concluded that this was a prominent figure whom he would recommend - 'a good berth to be provided for him' (H. Low, 'The Journal of Sir Hugh Low, Perak 1877', edited by E. Sadka, Journal of the Malayan/Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 27(4), 1954). Thereafter, there was an unbroken flow of high praise from senior figures of the colonial regime - 'stands for all that is best in the Malay ruling class... intelligence... experience... great charm of manner... a fluent speaker... a very earnest Muhammadan, without a trace of bigotry... a high authority on questions of Muhammadan law and religion' (F A Swettenham, British Malaya: An Account of the Origin and Progress of British Influence in Malaya, London, 1907, p 343). Significantly Swettenham continues that 'In all the Malay states there is no one who... has done so much to promote the success of the new system of administration' (ibid). Clifford's verdict is in similar terms - 'among the most enlightened rulers of the Native States of the East, and a convinced apostle of British rule' (H Clifford, Bushwhacking and Other Asiatic Tales and Memories, New York, 1929, p 192).

Date: 30 June 1911.

Occasion: Royal guest for the Coronation of King George V, 23 June 1911.

Costume: -

Costume Designer: -

Costume Supplier: -

Orders, Decorations & Medals: Star & sash of an Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael & St. George (GCMG cr 1901).

HangPC2
Kelantan

Malay Kelantan Royal Court

Modern Day

Malay Kelantan Men

Modern Day

Malay Kelantan Women

Modern Day

Sources :

W.A Graham

Kelantan : A State of The Malay Peninsula (1905 / 1908)

http://raykinzoku.fotopages.com

HangPC2
Malay Girl (1900)

Sultan Of Perak, Prince Raja Chulan

01 Jan 1902

Sources : http://www.viewimages.com/ (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Sultan Muhammad IV (Kelantan Darul Naim)

Tengku Long Senik Putera Long Kundur

Sources : http://cikgunasir.blogspot.com/

AEROFORCE1
Nice thread ,thanks to share. If you dont mind I has the old picture of Pattani too

QUOTE(Crystallised Dream @ Oct 28 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]3985623[/snapback]
Just thought it would be good if we could enlighten non-Malaysian AFers (and even ourselves!) on Malaysian traditional costumes. We always claim to be a multicultural country, but I haven't found a thread that really showcases this diversity. Here are just some costumes, if you have other interesting costume photos/information (e.g. functon, origin etc) to share you are welcome to do so. I might have missed out some other ethnicities, if so you may add to these too.

Malays ( + Minangkabau)

I find that the Malays have a wide variety of costumes apart from the generic baju kurung and baju Melayu outfits. Here are some of them according to states, including the Minangkabau costumes:

Penang

The Penang one look similar to Burmese custume

HangPC2
Malay headdress maker wants to save the art from fading away

By JAYAGANDI JAYARAJ

THE tradition of wearing the Tengkolok or the Malay headdress dates back to the times of the Malay sultanate.

Back then the headdress for men was a status symbol.

Only the rich wore it and more prominently it was part of the royal costume.

There were specially appointed skilled artisans to make Tengkolok for the Sultans in the palace.

The designs and shapes varied from state to state and each shape was folded in semblance of animals or abstract ideas, hence names like Lang Patah Sayap (eagle with broken wings), Ayam Patah Kepak (rooster with broken wings), Dendam Tak Sudah (unfinished business), Gajah Berjuang (elephants fighting) and Menyonsong Again (facing the wind).

Today the Tengkolok remains as part of the royal ensemble.

What the commoners wear are designs with a twist or have been modified from the original designs. They cannot wear the same designs worn by royalties,¡± said Tengkolok maker Nik Hamid Nik Mustafa.

The 54-year-old's interest in the art started off 30 years ago while he was still in Kelantan, dancing for a cultural troop.

Not the same type: the shape of the tengkolok @ tanjak varies from state to state as seen here.

While in the group, we had to make our Tengkolok and that's how it started off.

But there was no one to teach me. The one or two teachers that I discovered later had passed on too.

So what I did was research. When I came down to Kuala Lumpur in 1975, I researched on photographs of various designs and through trial and error worked on getting it right and perfect,¡± said Nik Hamid who is working at the Seri Jemari Songket in Wangsa Melawati, Kuala Lumpur.

Using Songket and other materials including cotton, Nik Hamid is an expert Tengkolok maker who had created headdresses for weddings, royal events and dancers in Istana Budaya. Before the discovery of Songket, Hamid said the Tengkolok was made from Indian materials and Chinese silk while the commoners used ordinary materials.

Tengkoloks were made using Songket only about 200 years ago,he said as he demonstrated how to make a Tengkolok.

Settling on a Dendam Tak Sudah design, Nik Hamid began his folding works expertly as two young learners Nik Haslan Hassan, 20, and Noor Shah Rizal, 21, watched enthusiastically.

The 31 X 31 Songket that Nik Hamid used was earlier starched and folded into two to form a triangle shape with hard collar paper in between before it was ironed and stitched at the sides.

Originally 45 X 45 material was used for Tengkoloks.

With that you begin to fold it to the design that you want. It is not easy as you need to insert the wires at the right fold in order to keep the tengkolok in a particular shape.

You also have to be careful with the needle as it goes through the hard paper. I have had needles go through my fingers many times while stitching.

Young learners: (From right) Nik Haslan and Noor Shah looking at Nik Hamid expertly folding a tengkolok.

Thats why you dont see women making Tengkolok. It requires physical strength too, he said adding that it took him 15 years to perfect his folding skills.

Compared to those days, Nik Hamid said there were more creative Tengkolok designers these days and these Tengkoloks were made to last longer depending on its usage.

In an effort to preserve the art from dying, Nik Hamid is planning on getting a research fund from the Museum and Antiquity department to do a detailed research on the art from state to state.

After which, he planned to produce a demonstration CD on various styles of making the Tengkolok.

Otherwise, this art will slowly fade off,¡± he said.

- The Star -

Tengkolok @ Tanjak @ Destar - Folded Head-dress

The "tengkolok" is an essential feature of the Malay ceremonial attire for men and is sculptured from woven songket cloth, As the design reflects the status of the wearer, particular styles are created for the different ranks of people. The style is given a name such as "helang menyusur angin", a style depicting a eagle in flight as in this exhibit.

Kris

The "Kris" is a cultured artifact with the blade crafted in metal and teh sheath in wood often embellished with silver or gold work to enhance its aesthetic form. It symbolises power and authority. The "kris" forms part of the full traditional ceremonial attire.

Sources : 2004 February 22 BERITA MINGGU (Tanjak dan Songkok)

HangPC2
Malay Melaka (Malacca)

Timeline : 14th & 15th Century

Style : West Coast Malay Peninsular (Malay Royal Court & Dress Daily Basis)

From Movie '' Puteri Gunung Ledang ''

The 15th century Melaka Sultanate attire was Melayu, taking influence primarily from Arabia and secondarily from China. Exotic fabrics were readily available due to Melaka's thriving trade port. Yellow and white were to be worn only by the Sultan or his son.

The Sultan's outfits were based on historical descriptions and modern-day royal garments. The costumes of today were used as an example and then simplified to be in line with the historic depictions.

HangPC2

Malay Patani @ Pattani

Timeline : 16th, 17th & 18th Century

Style : East Coast Malay Peninsular (Malay Royal Court)

From Movie ''The Queen Of Langkasuka''

The Queen is wearing a costume in the traditional "Cik Siti Wan Kembang" style, complete with kain limar and songket. The movie accurately portrays cultural ties with East Coast Malay Peninsular.

Sultanah @ Queen

Sultan, Putera @ Prince

Minister, General & Soldier

HangPC2
Malay Kedah

Timeline : 18th Century (Kedah Indepandence War)

Sultan Ahmad Tajuddin

Sultanate Kedah Army @ Volunteer Army @ Resistance Fighter

dreamhunter
Anyone got ancient, really, really ancient stuff, like 11th century, from Kedah n Pattani?

Kelantan n Terengganu also, if you have, from the same period.
HangPC2
HangPC2
Malay Girl & Women In 20th Century

Penang

Singapore

malaccan

Beautiful nyonya ladies of Penang. icon_smile.gif
XigonCongchua
QUOTE(Protoculture @ Oct 28 2008, 05:17 AM) [snapback]3985878[/snapback]
Malay Traditional Wedding Attire - Songket

I like this one best beerchug.gif
Naimani
wow great eastern culture.

i never knew theres so much about Malaysia!
malaccan
Cik Puan Aishah of Pahang

HangPC2
Sylvia Brooke

The Last Ranee of Sarawak

Protoculture
Traditional Malay Traditional Costume - State of Perlis Indera Kayangan

Perlis is a small state by size but is rich in traditions and customs. The traditional Perlis garments such as the Kebaya Labuh is matched with the kain songket tied in a bunch at the top of the sarong. At times, this material is matched with silk or batik. This is topped up with dokoh bertingkat and cucuk sanggul to make the attire complete.

- Malay male with 'Baju Sikap', sampin & 'songket' trouser. Malay female with 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' alongside songket 'bunga tabur', jewel-decked with 'dokoh berantai' & syphon selendang.

- Malay male with 'Baju Sikap' in style of English waist coat, satin trouser & a sarung cloth with songket motifs - "tapak catur bunga tabur". Reputedly to be court officials' attires in old times. Female wearing 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' in modern cut, also with satin cloth as kain sarung. This attire is official wear for Perlis women apart from "Baju Kurung Teluk Belanga".

- 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' with modern & contemporary cut. A new modern outtake from traditional design. The jewelleries are 'dokoh berantai' & 'keronsang'.

- Another modern style for updated 'Baju Kebaya Labuh'.

- Another version of 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' with 'Li[at Tindih Kasih' cloth.

- 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' in songket variant alongside traditional jewellery like 'keronsang tiga sederet' & 'dokoh', also with 'selendang sedondon'.

- 'Baju Kebaya Pendek' made from Saree cloth & the sarong with batik motifs.

- 'Baju Kurung Kedah' also worn in Perlis, as part of wider Northern Malay culture. This attire is made from songket.

- Olden day 'baju ringkas tapak catur' & large trouser worn by Perlis peasant farmers. Worn with batik sarong & 'bengkung kain semutar'.

- 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' from songket cloth with 'bunga penuh tenunan Pakistan' motifs & zig-zag Malay flower motifs.

- "Baju Sikap Besar" with "tenun corak tapak catur bunga tabur" cloth alongside samping.

- 'Baju Kebaya Labuh' with 'kain songket selisih'.

- 'Baju Sikap Pakaian Adat' with trouser & samping made from full songket.

- Male with 'Baju Melayu Cekak Musang' & female in 'Kebaya Labuh', both made from songket 'merah pulasan sedondon'. To be worn during Royal official functions in Perlis Court Palace.

- Another traditional 'Kebaya Labuh' with full songket & silk cloth. Jewellery include 'dokoh berantai'.

Source: Malaysian Ministry of Arts, Heritage & Unity. The costume description (apart from Perlis' brief description above) is translated from Malay to English by me.
HangPC2
Malay Kedah

Timeline : 19 - 20th Century

Styles : Malay Sultanate Kedah, Officer Court Dress

Muhammad Hassan bin Dato’ Kerani Muhammad Arshad

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.