95% of racial documents are written by Europeans. The other 5% are non-Europeans using European sources. Cute situation isn't it
So you can't expect a non-biased or non-discriminary approach as the system which was used to justify slavery and colonisation is still in place. However Europeans themselves are opening up their eyes somewhat, many have already thrown out those categories in favor of modern anthropology and genetics. Anyways Altaic is only a linguistic grouping, if you want modern racial groupings here it is (recent anthropologics):
- Ainuid race (remnants of aboriginal population in northern Japan)
- Tungid race (Mongolia and Siberia, Eskimos)
- Turanid race (Mongoloids hybridized with Caucasiods; Turkey, Hungary)
- Amerindian race (American Indians; various subraces)
- Northeast Asian or Northern Mongoloid race (various subraces in China, Manchuria, Korea and Japan)
- Southeast Asian or Southern Mongoloid race (various subraces in southwest China, Indochina, Thailand, Myanmar [Burma], Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, the last four partly hybridized with Australoids)
- Micronesian-Polynesian race (predominantly Southern Mongoloid partly hybridized with Australoids)
- Baker, J. R. (1974) "Race", Oxford University Press, New York and London.
- McCulloch, Richard, (2004) "The Racial Compact".
Forgot who it was who suggested southern Mongoloid to be classified as Malaijid, and 'Amerindian' is also known as Clovisian, though debate whether Clovisians themselves were from Northern Asian stock is still debatable. Though McCulloch is a bit of a contraversial author however, as he has views on racial seperatism in the U.S. and Nordicism. If he was a Nordic citizen of Norway, Sweden or Denmark -> I would support his views, but he's in the U.S., land of immigrants, so too bad for him. Some old anthropologists such as Carleton S. Coon (Not to mention even earlier ones) have been heavily criticised for his work due to his failure to study population genetics which modern anthropologists have studied aligning it to give more accurate results. Baker's work isn't bad, but at present there are way too many subraces for since genetics got involved. We also have a Turanid race now even, though they believe our traits are due to intermixing rather then proven facts of genetic drift (no caucasiod ancestry in many blondie/redhead Mongols).