Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying temporary car to learn stick
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > AF Entertainment > Car Chat
kingofloss
So, as the title suggests, I intend to spend about $500 - 1k to purchase myself a beater to practice manual transmission before I buy myself an actual car that I will baby.

I'm taking this route in the event I burn through the clutch after a good ol' week of practicing everyday.

Any suggestions? I thought about a reliable car like a Civic, but I heard the insurance for that car is kinda high for someone under 25.

I'll send it to the junk yard quickly, pretty much right after I get the hang of it (I'm guessing I'll give it a month? Is that realistic? I'm gonna perfect heal-toe as well).
dens
yea a honda is a good learner car but if a german car is your goal then buy a vw coz german manual cars have different feel
kingofloss
Hmm...I'm actually thinking of going for a 2000-2001 Celica GTS. I'll be looking out for one of these babies over the next few months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for examples in good condition, no-sunroof.
WarEngineer
get any old honda really

i sold a 94 Accord for my neighour just a while ago and I drove it....there's no way u can stall it....the clutch will stick even if u drop the clutch at 2000 rpm... lol or maybe it's just old clutch lol
Point_Dexter
Just spend a few bucks on the Ferrari 355 challenge simulator at the arcades.
Psycho John
I've never seen anyone suck so bad at learning that they burn out their clutch. It doesn't take too long to learn.
vtecKiller
lol i learned it on my 240
took me like 2 days stalled like twice

within 2 weeks i was able to drive my car without any problem
downshift, upshift, heel-to-toe

so yeah...
get something that doesnt have a super hard clutch, it'll help
avisitor
QUOTE (Psycho John @ Jul 5 2009, 05:24 AM) *
I've never seen anyone suck so bad at learning that they burn out their clutch. It doesn't take too long to learn.

Yeah, save your money and just buy the car you want to drive the stick on.
Why? Cuz it will take you less than a week to learn to drive a manual.
And, each manual car drives a little different ... especially if it had any work done on it.
Usually the clutch is the thing you much get use to ... light easy clutch or heavy?
Shifting is always ... don't grind your gears ... down shift to get more power going up hill(hi rev).
Shift up as soon as possible to keep fuel comsumption optimum.
Also, learn hand brake on hills with slightly depressed clutch and ready on gas ... prevent roll back
and hitting the guy behind you.

That's it ... everything else you learn on your own.
reinaldo
I think its a pretty good idea to buy Honda makes because it's really one of the most popular and most reliable car parts although it's not quite as fast as Nissan cars. But there are lots of car makes to choose from so you won't have problems getting one. It's your preference...
formula1
Honda's hands down! You can't get any easier than a Honda.
ZturboZ
QUOTE (kingofloss @ Jul 3 2009, 08:32 PM) *
So, as the title suggests, I intend to spend about $500 - 1k to purchase myself a beater to practice manual transmission before I buy myself an actual car that I will baby.

I'm taking this route in the event I burn through the clutch after a good ol' week of practicing everyday.

Any suggestions? I thought about a reliable car like a Civic, but I heard the insurance for that car is kinda high for someone under 25.

I'll send it to the junk yard quickly, pretty much right after I get the hang of it (I'm guessing I'll give it a month? Is that realistic? I'm gonna perfect heal-toe as well).

It makes no sense to waste your money on a temp car just to learn manual shifting. Unless you want to drift or somethin'
Learning or getting a hang of a stick-shift isn't that hard. Save your 1 G for a high performance tires dude!
eddyhess
It's such a good idea to purchase a beater to practice manual transmission. I think Honda Civic is reliable one since it's popular but when it comes to speed, I guess I'll go for Nissan. Whatever happens, those car models have cheap car part.
avisitor
QUOTE (eddyhess @ Apr 25 2011, 10:23 PM) *
It's such a good idea to purchase a beater to practice manual transmission. I think Honda Civic is reliable one since it's popular but when it comes to speed, I guess I'll go for Nissan. Whatever happens, those car models have cheap car part.

No it isn't.
Most people learn how to drive a stick very quickly and the amount of possible damage from that short time
doesn't warrant spending any extra money on a beater or practice car.
chrishillesland
$500 won't do much good. Maybe you need to spend more. I agree that Civic is a very reliable car. I read about it from car blogs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.