Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Royal Malay-Thai wedding
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Malaysian Chat
malaccan
Kelantan abuzz with talk of royal wedding

KOTA BARU: The state is abuzz with talk of the impending royal wedding which will see the Tengku Mahkota marrying a 24-year-old Thai woman.

Tengku Muhammad Faris: Met Kangsadal two years ago at a wedding.
Kangsadal Pipitpakdee will be known as Tengku Zubaidah after marrying Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra. They will tie the knot in a grand ceremony at the Kelantan palace on Nov 15.

The palace is said to have invited 15,000 guests, including Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The prince is next in line to the Kelantan throne.

A science graduate of Mahidol University, Kangsadal is the daughter of a former Pattani MP.

She worked for two years in an insurance company in Bangkok after her graduation. She met the 35-year-old prince two years ago at a wedding. They have been dating ever since then.

Mahidol University Science graduate Kangsadal Pipitpakdee, 24, will marry Kelantan’s Tengku Mahkota Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra, 35, in a grand ceremony at the Kelantan palace on Nov 15.
In Bangkok, Thai-language dailies played up the story with the top mass circulation Thai Rath even giving it front-page treatment.

According to Thai Rath, reporters who spoke to her mother at their house in Pattani were shown the beautiful wedding invitation card in which Kangsadal was photographed wearing a veil.

“The groom’s side has been preparing for the wedding for some time,” she was quoted as saying.

The mother was reportedly delighted with the nuptial, saying that fabrics had been ordered from Singapore to make the bridal gown.

At present, Kangsadal is staying at the Kelantan palace to learn local customs and life in the palace.

It is understood that the palace in Kelantan will make an official announcement soon.

Proposal came as a surprise

BY ANTHONY TAN and IAN MCINTYRE
PATTANI: Kelantan prince Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra Sultan Ismail Petra proposed to Kangsadal Pipitpakdee three months ago, said Kangsadal’s father Vairoj Pipit-pakdee.

The 62-year-old Vairoj, who also goes by the royal name of Tengku Norudin Tengku Muda, said a relative of the Kelantan Raja Perempuan went to the Yamu Palace here to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage on behalf of the prince.

“I was surprised by the proposal and I told the relative that the prince should get to know my daughter better first,” he said here yesterday.

FAMILY PORTRAIT: An undated picture of Kangsadal (seated second from left) and her family.
He then suggested that the wedding be held next year so that they could know each other better.

However, he said the Kelantan royalty wanted the wedding to be held earlier.

On Friday, The Star reported that the Tengku Mahkota would be marrying the 24-year-old daughter of a former Pattani MP.

She will be known as Tengku Zubaidah after the marriage.

Recalling how his daughter met the 35-year-old prince, Vairoj said they first met at his cousin's wedding at the Yamu Palace two years ago but the two did not speak to each other.

“They met again at another wedding in Bangkok eight months ago,” he said.

Vairoj said his family was of royal descent as he was the grandson of the King of Yamu district here,

In Kota Baru, Syed Azhar reports that the people of Kelantan have expressed joy that their much-loved Tengku Mahkota is finally ending his bachelor days.

Many interviewed said they were happy that the future Sultan was getting married.

They pointed out that he was the only Tengku Mahkota in the country who was still single.

Fairytale wedding hot topic in Kelantan

BY SYED AZHAR
KOTA BARU: The people of Kelantan have expressed joy that their much-loved Tengku Mahkota is finally ending his bachelor days.

The royal wedding of Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra, 35, to Thai woman, Kangsadal Pipitpakdee, is currently the hot topic here.

All everyone talks about is how grand the ceremony will be and how it is going to be the fairytale wedding of the year.

Many who were interviewed yesterday said they were happy that the future Sultan was getting married. They pointed out that he was the only Tengku Mahkota in the country who was still single.

Nazri Hassan, 35, who runs a restaurant along Jalan Pengkalan Chepa here, said it was “about time” the Tengku Mahkota got married.

“I'm happy that our Tengku Mahkota has chosen his life partner. I'm sure the people of Kelantan feels the same way I do,” he said when met.

On Friday, The Star reported that the Tengku Mahkota will be marrying the 24-year-old Mahidol University Science graduate, who is the daughter of a former Pattani MP.

She will be known as Tengku Zubaidah after the marriage.

The two began dating after they met at a wedding in Bangkok two years ago. The grand ceremony has been set for Nov 15 at the Kelantan palace.

A random interview by The Star showed that many people said the future Sultan was a down-to-earth individual, who “sometimes forget” that he is heir to the throne.

A friend of the Tengku Mahkota, Syed Abdullah Syed Ali, described him as “approachable, religious and very friendly.”

“But what struck me most about him is that he dislikes protocol as he feels that it keeps the people away.”

Nik Safiah Nik Ahmad, 19, a sales promoter, said she met the Tengku Mahkota once at a pharmacy in Jalan Pintu Pong where she worked.

“He came into the store with his friends. I recognised him immediately. I was very honoured to be of assistance to him. What surprised me most was how he set protocol aside, behaving like he was one of us commoners,” Nik Safiah said.

A check showed that a prominent hotel along Jalan Sultan Yahya here has been fully booked by the Kelantan royal family days before the wedding.

It is learnt that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinatwatra are among the long list of VIPs to stay at the hotel.

Union of two royal families

BY ANTHONY TAN AND IAN MCINTYRE

Kangsadal adapting to life in the Kelantan palace

PATTANI: The marriage of Kangsadal Pipitpakdee and Kelantan prince Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra Sultan Ismail Petra will be another union of the Yamu and Kelantan royal families.

The earlier union came about when Kangsadal’s uncle, Tengku Abdul Hamid Tengku Muda, who is of Yamu royal descent, married Tengku Azizah from the Kelantan royalty.

One of the couple’s children is the present Raja Perempuan Kelantan, Tengku Anis, the mother of 35-year-old Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra.

Nik Kalsom: The grandmother

Tengku Abdul Hamid is the elder brother of Kangsadal’s father, Tengku Norudin whose Thai name is Vairoj Pipitpakdee.

They are the grandsons of Tengku Wook, the last Raja or King of Yamu who has a palace here.

Kangsadal, 24, who will be known as Tengku Zubaidah after the marriage, was born in the 110-year-old palace, according to her grandmother Sawat Pipitpakdee.

Sawat, 84, who is also known as Nik Kalsom, still lives in the palace which has similar designs with Kelantan architecture.

She said Kangsadal was raised in the palace until she was five years old.

Like most Thais, Kangsadal has a nickname.

Cik Jamilah: The mother
Her parents called her Koy or “last finger” as her parents thought she would be the last child in the family.

But the couple had another daughter five years later. Kangsadal is the third child among four siblings.

Kangsadal’s mother Cik Jamilah, 54, said her daughter recently informed her that she was adapting well to life in the Kelantan palace after leaving home a month ago.

Tuanku Norudin: The father

“Kangsadal is learning about her future role as a royalty member, the local customs and expectations,” she said.

“I have also received assurances from the Kelantan royal family that Kangsadal would be treated like their own child.”

Meanwhile, talk of the impending royal wedding dominated Pattani, a small agricultural-based town, since early this week.

Most Pattani residents are familiar with Kelantan, which is a two-hour drive away.

END OF NEWS CUTTINGS

There has always been very close connections between the northern Malays and the southern Thais in the Malay-Thai peninsula, and this is about to get closer still. When the crown prince of Kelantan assumes the post of the malaysian King in 2016, it'd be cool to know that our Queen be a Thai Malay. Likewise, when the post next gets passes on to the sultan of Pahang (currently the crown prince of Pahang) in 2021, our queen will then be Singaporean-born. Majulah Malaysia, Majulah Thailand, Majulah Singapura!!

The Pahang crown prince and his consort in an informal pose

I was in Singapore when they got married, and certainly it created quite a stir among the Malay community there.

Daulat Tuanku!!!
Protoculture
She's a Malay, of southern Thai. I've read she's from Malay-Pattani Royalty.

Forgot her Malay name though. Being a Thai citizen, regardless of your ethnicity, you must have a Thai name for official use, & another Malay/Chinese/others if you're amongst relatives.
Iron Malayan
QUOTE (Protoculture @ Oct 24 2004, 08:14 PM)
Being a Thai citizen, regardless of your ethnicity, you must have a Thai name for official use, & another Malay/Chinese/others if you're amongst relatives.

So the Thai govt still enforce this law? No wonder the southern Muslims are rebellious.

Speaking of Pattani royalty, the grandfather of my grandfather was one but he had to flee to Kedah after he popped somebody in a quarrel. I don't know what the feud was all about but I don't blame him for wasting the other dude.In those days there were insufficient channels to address your grievances. You had to make your own justice.
Protoculture
QUOTE (Iron Malayan @ Oct 25 2004, 08:34 AM)

Being a Thai citizen, regardless of your ethnicity, you must have a Thai name for official use, & another Malay/Chinese/others if you're amongst relatives.

So the Thai govt still enforce this law? No wonder the southern Muslims are rebellious.

Speaking of Pattani royalty, the grandfather of my grandfather was one but he had to flee to Kedah after he popped somebody in a quarrel. I don't know what the feud was all about but I don't blame him for wasting the other dude.In those days there were insufficient channels to address your grievances. You had to make your own justice.

This was the result from assimilation policy practiced by Thai Govt. to instill national identity as versus to racial identity. The same practiced is carried out in the Philippines & Indonesia. The result are mixed at best within good & bad.

In Malaysia & Singapore, integration policy is used so that every race won't lose their distinct identity while retaining national spirit, with a resounding success .....
Iron Malayan
QUOTE (Protoculture @ Oct 25 2004, 09:26 PM)

This was the result from assimilation policy practiced by Thai Govt. to instill national identity as versus to racial identity. The same practiced is carried out in the Philippines & Indonesia. The result are mixed at best within good & bad.

In Malaysia & Singapore, integration policy is used so that every race won't lose their distinct identity while retaining national spirit, with a resounding success .....

Yeah. We have zero terrorism to show for this successful policy. beerchug.gif
malaccan
Just read abt the clashes in Tak Bai. I worry for the state of that region. You're right Protoculture, many southern Thai are of Malay descent. Some have considered themselves as Thai though. Speaking to my Thai friends(I've just got a few, but they're quite well educated) from Pattani and Phuket, they say that while some southern Muslim Thais consider themselves as Thai, the majority still see themselves as Malay. It's really funny hearing southern Thai people speaking Malay with Kelantanese and Kedah accent and then switching to fluent Thai with their Siamese folks.
Ai lao
QUOTE (Protoculture @ Oct 25 2004, 09:26 PM)

what about the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia? or even non-muslim person in Malaysia how about them under the Islamic laws or Islamic Country?

I heard there are Islamic party prohibit Lunar chinese new year celebration in Malaysia, is it true?
dalawapo
i hope thailand doesnt become islamized.
Protoculture
QUOTE (Ai lao @ Oct 29 2004, 04:39 PM)
what about the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia? or even non-muslim person in Malaysia how about them under the Islamic laws or Islamic Country?

I heard there are Islamic party prohibit Lunar chinese new year celebration in Malaysia, is it true?

Ethnic Chinese in Malaysia retain their cultural identity, with Chimese Lunar New Year is a national festival & public holidays. Chinese students have both options to enrolled to Govt. schools or Chinese medium schools. Chinese have been represented with three powerful political parties in West Malaysia namely MCA, Gerakan & opposition DAP while represented by SUPP in East Malaysia. Chniese political leaders holds several ministerial position in Federal Govt., while there is one Chinese becoming Chief Minister in the State of Penang. Chinese are free to practiced Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity in Malaysia. Chinese formed as one of the most influential business & trade groups in Malaysia. Islamic law only persecuted Malay-Muslim or Muslim only, so non-Muslim Chinese are not subjected to Islamic Law, but Malaysia's Civil Law (modelled after United Kingdom).

The Islamic Party only prohibits alcohol drinking & gambling among Muslims in state of Kelantan, but Chinese festivities & religious activities is allowed, although Chinese cannot sell alcoholic drinks to Muslims, only to non-Muslims. Fortunately, Islamic Party is slowly losing its grip in state of Kelantan after been trounced in democratic election in May 2004.

In other 13 states & Federal Territories, Chinese enjoys being what they're & do what they do.
Protoculture
QUOTE (dalawapo @ Oct 29 2004, 07:31 PM)

Thailand is largely overwhelmingly a Buddhist nation. Fear not of its being islamicised. Malay Muslims are a minority only.....

So basically your fear is unfounded!
dalawapo
well theres muslim terrorist in southern thailand
Protoculture
QUOTE (dalawapo @ Oct 29 2004, 08:49 PM)
well theres muslim terrorist in southern thailand

Your ignorance astounded me ... even in Phillippines also got terrorists, both Muslim terrorists & Communists terrorists ....

Terrorism reach all kinds of ideologies, with no boundaries regardless of religion!
malaccan
What happened in southern Thailand is a sad day for the nation. The Malays of Thailand are Thai citizens. Certainly the death of the men are as condemnable as the killings of innocent monks and children. The more reason that the wedding between the two families in northern Malaysia and southern Thailand should be celebrated. These two regions have always been somewhat problematical for both Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. They are a proud ppl with distinct culture which is different even from the rest of us Malays in the peninsula.

We Malaysians celebrate all religious festivals giving us loads and loads of public hols, next up is Deepavali(Diwali), then the Muslim Eid, then Chrsitmas and next up is Chinese New Year. Can't wait to get my ang pow!! biggrin.gif
dalawapo
why dont u equally moarn for those killed by the misulm sucide bombers.... icon_rolleyes.gif
malaccan
Scroll up and read my earlier posts... icon_rolleyes.gif
Difficult to speak to you D, esp when you've got a problem with us Malays being grateful Muslims that we are. Can't do much abt that I'm afraid shrug.gif
KTB
Conngratulations to both of them too.

PS. Pumibutra is an interesting policy , I think
malaccan
Selamat Pengantin Baru!! party.gif party.gif

Tuesday November 16, 2004

Royalty, Najib among 1,500 guests attend Kelantan prince wedding

KOTA BARU: The Tengku Mahkota of Kelantan, Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra ibni Sultan Ismail Petra, married Tengku Zubaidah Tengku Norudin of Pattani, Thailand, at the Istana Negeri in Kubang Kerian here last night.

The akad nikah of Tengku Muhammad Faris, 35, the eldest son of the Sultan of Kelantan and Tengku Zubaidah, 23, was held at 8.30pm in the presence of some 1,500 guests.

Members of royalty present included the Sultan of Selangor and Queen Sirikit of Thailand.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak represented the Malaysian Government at the royal wedding.

ROYAL COUPLE: Tengku Muhammad Faris and Tengku Zubaidah’s akad nikah was performed by the Mufti of Kelantan Datuk Hasbullah Hassan at the Istana Negeri last night.

Also present was Thai Foreign Minister Dr Surakiart Sathirathai.

The akad nikah was performed by the Mufti of Kelantan Datuk Hasbullah Hassan.

Tengku Muhammad Faris, the crown prince of Kelantan, was installed as the Tengku Mahkota on Oct 6, 1985.

Born here on Oct 6, 1969, Tengku Muhammad Faris is the eldest of the four children of Sultan Ismail and the Raja Perempuan of Kelantan, Tengku Anis Tengku Abdul Hamid.

Tengku Zubaidah, whose Thai name is Kangsadarn Phipitphakdee, is a graduate of Mahidol University in Bangkok. She received her primary and secondary education in Pattani.

She is the third of four children of former Lima Pattani MP Tengku Norudin, 62, (whose Thai name is Wairoj) and Che Jemilah Che Abdullah, (Yaowalak Phipitphakdee) 57.

Tengku Norudin is an uncle of Tengku Anis.

The betrothal ceremony was held at the residence of the bride's family in Pattani on July 1. – Bernama
Protoculture
May they lived to prosperous ol' age together .... love2.gif2

Long Live the Crown Prince! "DAULAT TUUANKU!!"

Jange lupo blanjo ambo deh .... Talktohand.gif
Iron Malayan
Nice wedding
cipro
cyprus antibiotic

cloridrato ciprof - ciproxin - annual returns cipro
HermesPrince
QUOTE (Protoculture @ Oct 25 2004, 09:26 PM) *

No i m Muslim in Thailand , and i use Arabic name. None of my families members using Thai names.

That is not Law. But It is just easier for Thai to call you in Thai name.

Once it was a trend for southern part people to have Thai name at school
HermesPrince
QUOTE (dalawapo @ Oct 29 2004, 07:31 PM) *

Dont worry Thai Muslim population is just 4.6-4.7 percent of all. So it is too few .
and about 90 percent of muslim living in 4 provinces in the south which bordering to Malaysia.

But , we muslim in Thailand have been treated well. you can find masjid everywhere.
we have halal food to eat whole country.

i wish the government force franchise restaurant to get halal in the nearer future ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.