Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teachers for Koreans
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Korean Chat > Korean Serious Talk
yuuri
I'd appreciate responses from Koreans icon_smile.gif

I've heard that Korea is about to legalize (or has already done so) the entry of English teachers from the Philippines. Do you think this is a smart move?
Have you been to the Philippines to study English?
How can you describe English teachers from the Philippines, and how can you compare them with the Whites and the native Korean teachers? (in terms of their teaching style, English proficiency, accent, etc.)
shinbowl
QUOTE (yuuri @ Jan 10 2010, 11:23 AM) *
I'd appreciate responses from Koreans icon_smile.gif

I've heard that Korea is about to legalize (or has already done so) the entry of English teachers from the Philippines. Do you think this is a smart move?
Have you been to the Philippines to study English?
How can you describe English teachers from the Philippines, and how can you compare them with the Whites and the native Korean teachers? (in terms of their teaching style, English proficiency, accent, etc.)

I think even though Philipine English may not be as good as England, America or Canada or other English speaking countries, Koreans would rather not be taught by LBHs I guess? lol
yuuri
what is LBHs?
and what do you mean by saying PhilE "may not be as good as..."? I think one language variety not being as good as another is just an individual perception based on how it sounds to one's ear. Every individual is entitled to her own beliefs and impressions, of course, and it's interesting to note what the basis of these perceptions are. But from a more empirical perspective, all languages are equal. PhilE (not to mention Indian English, Singapore English, etc.) actually has its own special structure and functions that make it stand as a legit. variety of English, and makes it just as good as the others from the US, UK, etc.
Panik
QUOTE (yuuri @ Jan 12 2010, 04:54 PM) *
what is LBHs?
and what do you mean by saying PhilE "may not be as good as..."? I think one language variety not being as good as another is just an individual perception based on how it sounds to one's ear. Every individual is entitled to her own beliefs and impressions, of course, and it's interesting to note what the basis of these perceptions are. But from a more empirical perspective, all languages are equal. PhilE (not to mention Indian English, Singapore English, etc.) actually has its own special structure and functions that make it stand as a legit. variety of English, and makes it just as good as the others from the US, UK, etc.

That's kind of a stupid thing to say. If you want to learn filipino english be my guest, but the main reason why people all over the world learn english is because america is the superpower and english is the international language. In this case only 2 varieties of english are worth learning, american english or british english and both of those are practically indistinguishable from each other accents aside.
I've read in the economist that Filipinos english ability has been steadily declining over the years.
yuuri
QUOTE (Panik @ Jan 13 2010, 06:01 AM) *
That's kind of a stupid thing to say. If you want to learn filipino english be my guest, but the main reason why people all over the world learn english is because america is the superpower and english is the international language. In this case only 2 varieties of english are worth learning, american english or british english and both of those are practically indistinguishable from each other accents aside.
I've read in the economist that Filipinos english ability has been steadily declining over the years.

yep so maybe you can say that those two most popular varieties of english are "good" or "worth learning" on the bases of power, politics, and economy. but linguistics won't confirm that.
Taln
QUOTE (yuuri @ Jan 12 2010, 04:57 PM) *
yep so maybe you can say that those two most popular varieties of english are "good" or "worth learning" on the bases of power, politics, and economy. but linguistics won't confirm that.

Rather that the best instruction in any language would come from a native speaker who also spoke that language primarily (not always the same thing) AND had good teaching skills. Without all three qualifications, I would consider the classes sub-par. Though that favors of those from the US and UK for teaching English, it does not exclude any nationality completely.
Captain Corea
QUOTE (Taln @ Jan 13 2010, 12:49 PM) *
Rather that the best instruction in any language would come from a native speaker who also spoke that language primarily (not always the same thing) AND had good teaching skills. Without all three qualifications, I would consider the classes sub-par. Though that favors of those from the US and UK for teaching English, it does not exclude any nationality completely.

agreed.
CaptainKKKorea
I agree.
hangookin
QUOTE (yuuri @ Jan 12 2010, 05:54 PM) *
what is LBHs?

Wel LBH means Loser Back Home.
Gwanggaeto
QUOTE (Captain Corea @ Jan 13 2010, 06:56 PM) *
agreed.

LBH
GlovesForAttack60Percent
Actually phillipinos are very very good at speaking english, they speak it as well as any white guy dont be ignorant. They have thier own accent but so do English or Americans, the Phillipino accent is smoother and more pleasant to hear IMO it would also distance us frmo American impersialism to be influenced by a harmless third world nation like Phillipines! Theres also no way to know who can speak better english based no degree'd but since phillipines is a poorer country any phillipino who has ad egree would be far better and higer class than your average white guy with a degree, they would be more elite is what im saying.

Phillipino english is no different to English or USA ENglish! We Koreans would desire more Phillipino brothers than The LBHs from America or England! However koreans are probably ignorant of this and will adamantaly want some LBH instead of a proud brown and fellow dog eating brother.
pillbox
QUOTE (GlovesForAttack60Percent @ Jan 31 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Actually phillipinos are very very good at speaking english, they speak it as well as any white guy dont be ignorant. They have thier own accent but so do English or Americans, the Phillipino accent is smoother and more pleasant to hear IMO it would also distance us frmo American impersialism to be influenced by a harmless third world nation like Phillipines! Theres also no way to know who can speak better english based no degree'd but since phillipines is a poorer country any phillipino who has ad egree would be far better and higer class than your average white guy with a degree, they would be more elite is what im saying.

Phillipino english is no different to English or USA ENglish! We Koreans would desire more Phillipino brothers than The LBHs from America or England! However koreans are probably ignorant of this and will adamantaly want some LBH instead of a proud brown and fellow dog eating brother.

I love how white people are trashing the forums.
Conan1
Best choices:
1- Koreans that live abroad
2- East Asian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.