I work better under pressure. In other words, I become very focused on the day before the due date. During the week before, I become somewhat focused. If the due date is more than a week away, I probably don't think about the work much.
One thing about engineering is that you will probably end up working to the very last minute even if you did not procrastinate. As a result, I somewhat improved on my time management skills during college.
Here is how you can be better focused:
- Get rid of high-speed Internet. This makes Youtube videos unwatchable which eliminates part of the distraction. You just have to worry about Facebook and online forums.
- Get some coffee. Half a cup is enough to give me energy regardless of how little sleep I get.
- Don't have a TV in the room.
- Don't study on a soft chair or cushion. You will fall asleep.
- Ignore the little problems that can be fixed later.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk
- Don't hesitate to ask professors, TAs, and classmates for help understanding the material. No sense in staring at a problem for hours.