Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Korean Youth
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Korean Chat > Korean Serious Talk
dnale
First, trolls shouldn't post in this thread for this topic is to discuss serious concerns on the today's korean youths. Korea kids gone naked in ceremony, shown below, are just one of extreme examples of the madness of korean youths.

Serious, are korean kids getting nastier each year? or they just are special cases?

Korean youths roughed up in graduation ceremonies

If you think hazing in Singapore schools is bad, students in South Korea have it much worse. Both guys and girls are forced to go naked and are pelted with eggs and flour in graduation rituals across the country's middle schools.

According to a South Korean news website, since 3am last Saturday, about 40 pictures of naked or half-naked middle school graduating students in Goyang, Gyeonggi have been spread rapidly online.

The pictures include one which shows the students making a human pyramid with their bodies covered in flour and eggs, and others showing them standing still covering their private parts or removing their underwear.

Fifteen of the original hazing victims told police that they received text messages from the older students forcing them to attend the ritual or they would be punished.

Twenty high school students involved in the hazing will be questioned by South Korean police.

The police said offenders can get criminal punishments since they will be charged with an attempted act of violence.

While Stomp has received several stories on students complaining about hazing in their schools, perhaps they can count themselves lucky that such rituals here are not as extreme as that in South Korea.

sexykitten
shyeeeeeeeet! dem modafukcaz is crazy. DAMN!
agnoni
Feeling sorry about korean girls. bawling.gif
Akthough I am a big fan of korean pop culture, I can get fed up with their obsessions with outer appearance.

Some korean were influenced by Bodily culture and sex appeal of American, and this could get tied into these nake boys and girls show-offs and their motivations.

Korea can learn from these nasty events, and I hope they face the reality of their children, and balance out the western influences from the true traditional asian culture.
dnale
Yes, it is sad story. I believe that overcoming such actions would be real mind bogging. But I think korean can be capable of another miracle to bring back their cultures into more moderate American influences, and retains asian decorum.
agnoni
Unfortunately, there isn' a handful of model countries to educate children.
dnale
Question is if Korean can face it, and do something about it. Talktohand.gif
Yer
This is not American influence, and it's not a "naked show-off."
It's basically a form of extreme humiliation and blackmail, a nasty way for upperclassmen to assert power over younger children.
This is typical of Korean Confucian culture in the sense that I've seen older people demand respect and obedience from younger ones just for the fact that they're older, not because they have anything to offer or are worthy of respect in general.
If any student texted another student with a threatening message in America, the normal course of action would be to report it to an adult, regardless of whether it's from an upperclassmen or it's for a "traditional" hazing ceremony.
ttocs
That's just horrible. Kids are out of control.
watsupzz
This culture is influenced by Korean army.
Almost all Korean newly recruits to army have to go through extremely humiliation introduction ceremony planned by their seniors.
This same insane culture is happening even at school yards.

There was alot of controversial moments and talks at the government level but since then strict school law came into action, any students caught doing this will be resulted in immediate expulsion.
FieryOFTheEast
Who the fu-k would do this to middle school kids? What the fu-k
SantaKlaws
QUOTE (Yer @ Jun 1 2010, 08:36 AM) *
This is not American influence, and it's not a "naked show-off."
It's basically a form of extreme humiliation and blackmail, a nasty way for upperclassmen to assert power over younger children.
This is typical of Korean Confucian culture in the sense that I've seen older people demand respect and obedience from younger ones just for the fact that they're older, not because they have anything to offer or are worthy of respect in general.
If any student texted another student with a threatening message in America, the normal course of action would be to report it to an adult, regardless of whether it's from an upperclassmen or it's for a "traditional" hazing ceremony.

Militaristic culture, not Confucian. While the two share many common elements, the emphasis of authority, the two differ in that the military is about rank(or grade) while Confucianism is about age.

I haven't read through this thread so I don't know who said anything about American influence, but this is not so much about American influence. Rather, I see this as natural human behavior, both shared by Korea and America and others. Hazing is a means to initiate members to a group, and this method is wide-spread throughout the world in diverse forms. While I particularly don't agree with their method, at the very least I think it's an improvement over the older methods of hazing, which caused much physical hazards upon individuals.
catman
Has this been reported at all in the Korean press?
watsupzz
QUOTE (catman @ Jun 2 2010, 09:42 PM) *
Has this been reported at all in the Korean press?

Yes.
In fact this was already posted here too, just that some troll wanted to bring this old article again to show Koreans are ridiculous people, as if only Koreans do this to themselves.

In Australia, senior military staffs penetrate anus of newly recruited military staffs with a dildo as part of freshman ceremony, which was controversial news all over Australia.
Why is this was never have been reported at this forum?
dnale
QUOTE (watsupzz @ Jun 2 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Yes.
In fact this was already posted here too, just that some troll wanted to bring this old article again to show Koreans are ridiculous people, as if only Koreans do this to themselves.
In Australia, senior military staffs penetrate anus of newly recruited military staffs with a dildo as part of freshman ceremony, which was controversial news all over Australia.

You are so presumptuous. Call someone troll just because you don't like the thread isn't nice. I also believe that such hate actions are against forum rules. icon_confused.gif
agnoni
QUOTE (watsupzz @ Jun 2 2010, 11:05 PM) *

So you think those actions are valid? or what are you trying to imply? Fraternity and hazing is a practice of acts between men, not involving ordinary women. There may be a few cases, where women are allowed to work in the military services, but those women are not school kids or indoctrinated.
vanqixe
crazy.gif I hope this isn't a common incident in Korea.
BlueSteel
lol wacky
dnale
QUOTE (vanqixe @ Jun 3 2010, 11:23 AM) *
crazy.gif I hope this isn't a common incident in Korea.

It shouldn't be. But I don't get the military culture infiltrated middle school kids. Are the combat skills are required for the graduation?
newties21
I see nothing wrong with it.

It is just young people having fun.

The ones who are making a big fuss are the old people and the other unrelated persons.

Have the students themselves complained? And how many of them complained, and how many of them didnt complain but instead remember it fondly?

dnale
QUOTE (newties21 @ Jun 8 2010, 09:14 AM) *

No-brainer!!

but no. It doesn't appear fun experiences.
newties21
Many things dont look fun for people watching, but may be fun for people experiencing it.

Again, it is necessary to interview the students themselves.

Yer
QUOTE (newties21 @ Jun 8 2010, 10:14 AM) *

The ones who are making a big fuss are the old people and the other unrelated persons.

Have the students themselves complained? And how many of them complained, and how many of them didnt complain but instead remember it fondly?

Look at the pictures.
The girls are cowering and trying to cover themselves. If you were a teenage girl, would you enjoy having eggs thrown at you while naked (and photographed, no less)?
The only ones enjoying themselves are the older kids in raincoats... obviously... they're not the ones naked and covered in goo.
agnoni
QUOTE (Yer @ Jun 9 2010, 01:54 PM) *
Look at the pictures.
The girls are cowering and trying to cover themselves. If you were a teenage girl, would you enjoy having eggs thrown at you while naked (and photographed, no less)?
The only ones enjoying themselves are the older kids in raincoats... obviously... they're not the ones naked and covered in goo.

Agreed. Poor naked girls are forced and photographed.
aznraskos
It's not military culture at all. What it is, is an misinterpretation of Confucian values and the lack of social values instilled in these kids. These perpetrators only think about receiving respect as elders, and often manipulate this thought to their advantage. Problem that I find with these incidents occuring, is the status quo maintain by these kids....basically in letting the older ones do that to them, they'll want to do the same thing to the younger kids. Also, it's the fear of a lot of the young ones undergoing humiliation that prevents them from standing up for themselves and the potential reprecussion/social excommunications from an whole grade&peers if they do. What may also be feeding this frenzy, is the lack of administrative and social oversight...how often do you see kids roaming the streets to their next afterschool class with no parental supervision during the evening? Do the teachers even care apart from grades and college acceptance? Also, apart from trying to get into the best college, 24/7 studying, and costant instillment of competitiveness/comparative advantage and comparison, what social values like collective agreement, cooperation/collaboratioin, and just plain helping others are imparted by the parents?

Well...enough of my rant, I think the problem aren't just in the kids, but also rests with the school and the family as well. Of course, there is hazing everywhere, and there are instances of pure humiliation and extreme treatment, but on average most hazing are moderate and doesn't relegate the individual to self-depreciating worth. Having said that, don't get me wrong, I'm not generalizing it as a commonplace occurance in Korean society, but just on this isolated event.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.