Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Khmer Language
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat > Khmer Serious Talk
erschler
Hi everybody,

I am a Russian linguist working in Moscow. For my current research project, I need a few sentences in Khmer. I wonder whether anybody here would care to translate these sentences from English.
That would enormously help me in my research.

Here go the sentences:
1. I have been reading this book for two days, but haven't finished it.

2. I read this book in two days.

3. The baby slept for three hours.

4. The hunter killed two ducks in three hours.

Thanks a lot,
Best,
David
preahvihear
QUOTE (erschler @ Jul 25 2010, 01:33 AM) *
Hi everybody,

I am a Russian linguist working in Moscow. For my current research project, I need a few sentences in Khmer. I wonder whether anybody here would care to translate these sentences from English.
That would enormously help me in my research.

Here go the sentences:
1. I have been reading this book for two days, but haven't finished it.

2. I read this book in two days.

3. The baby slept for three hours.

4. The hunter killed two ducks in three hours.

Thanks a lot, Best, David

Greetings to you, David. I have a major issue in downloading the Khmer font to type in. There are others who can translate and write in Khmer script for you. I wish they would read your thread. It is best to repost your request in the most active frequently visited Khmer chat forum instead. You get more bang for your buck that way. However, I am using the English phonics to write Khmer translation for you.

1. I have been reading this book for two days, but haven't finished it. (=Kyom barn arn seev-puv nis oss pee tngite heuy, tae nuv min ton chob teat.)

2. I read this book in two days. (=Kyom arn seev-puv niss (chob =finished) knoang royeah pale pee tngite.)

3. The baby slept for three hours. (=Koan ngar (tear-ruok) dake barn bey moang.)

4. The hunter killed two ducks in three hours. (=prean barn som-lab tear pee kbarl knong royeah pale bey moang.)

As with other speakers of any languages, there is always a slight variation to any sentences. For example, consider. Nice to meet you. vs [It's] nice to meet you.
Goombaking209
How I would translate those sentence

1. ខ្ញុំកំពុងមើលសៀវភៅនេះនិងពីរថ្ងៃកន្លងតែ មិនបានអានដល់រឿងចប់នោះទេ។ kyom kompong murl sievpov niis neng pii tngai kanlong tae men ban ahn dal reung jorb nouh te.
2. ខ្ញុំមើលសៀវភៅនេះដល់ចប់រឿងទាំងពីរថ្ងៃប៉ុណ្ណោះ។ kyom murl sievpov niis dal jorb reung pii tngai bonnouh.
3. កូនង៉ានិងបានដេកបីម៉ោងហើយ។ kon-nga neng ban dek bey moang haury
4. អ្នកប្រមាញ់បានចាប់សត្វទាពីកៀងនៅពេលរយៈកាលបីម៉ោង។ Nek bramanh ban Jab sat thea pii kieng nov pel reyeak kaal bey moang.

these aren't perfect. I need to know the context of the intended sentences to better translate in Khmer. For example, in sentence four the hunter killed two ducks. Did he kill for food, or did he randomly kill two ducks? The one I have translated says he "captured" (for the purpose of consumption) instead of "killing" which if translated directly, would sounds like the hunter was killing out of insanity (and not for human consumption).

ps wtf J-A-P without the dashes and space turns into "JAPANESE" on this forum icon_rolleyes.gif.
erschler
Many thanks!

QUOTE (preahvihear @ Jul 26 2010, 12:07 AM) *
Greetings to you, David. I have a major issue in downloading the Khmer font to type in. There are others who can translate and write in Khmer script for you. I wish they would read your thread. It is best to repost your request in the most active frequently visited Khmer chat forum instead. You get more bang for your buck that way. However, I am using the English phonics to write Khmer translation for you.

1. I have been reading this book for two days, but haven't finished it. (=Kyom barn arn seev-puv nis oss pee tngite heuy, tae nuv min ton chob teat.)

2. I read this book in two days. (=Kyom arn seev-puv niss (chob =finished) knoang royeah pale pee tngite.)

3. The baby slept for three hours. (=Koan ngar (tear-ruok) dake barn bey moang.)

4. The hunter killed two ducks in three hours. (=prean barn som-lab tear pee kbarl knong royeah pale bey moang.)

As with other speakers of any languages, there is always a slight variation to any sentences. For example, consider. Nice to meet you. vs [It's] nice to meet you.

erschler
Thanks a lot!!!

QUOTE (Goombaking209 @ Jul 26 2010, 05:54 AM) *
How I would translate those sentence

1. ខ្ញុំកំពុងមើលសៀវភៅនេះនិងពីរថ្ងៃកន្លងតែ មិនបានអានដល់រឿងចប់នោះទេ។ kyom kompong murl sievpov niis neng pii tngai kanlong tae men ban ahn dal reung jorb nouh te.
2. ខ្ញុំមើលសៀវភៅនេះដល់ចប់រឿងទាំងពីរថ្ងៃប៉ុណ្ណោះ។ kyom murl sievpov niis dal jorb reung pii tngai bonnouh.
3. កូនង៉ានិងបានដេកបីម៉ោងហើយ។ kon-nga neng ban dek bey moang haury
4. អ្នកប្រមាញ់បានចាប់សត្វទាពីកៀងនៅពេលរយៈកាលបីម៉ោង។ Nek bramanh ban Jab sat thea pii kieng nov pel reyeak kaal bey moang.

these aren't perfect. I need to know the context of the intended sentences to better translate in Khmer. For example, in sentence four the hunter killed two ducks. Did he kill for food, or did he randomly kill two ducks? The one I have translated says he "captured" (for the purpose of consumption) instead of "killing" which if translated directly, would sounds like the hunter was killing out of insanity (and not for human consumption).

ps wtf J-A-P without the dashes and space turns into "JAPANESE" on this forum icon_rolleyes.gif.

hawasakigirl
dont worry, send it back to mp4nation, they will send to ainol for repair if needed, its like this for anyone/any company selling these chinese players and mp4nation have been doing it for many years
hawasakigirl
I SAW HERE POST ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS. not tell WHERE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.