Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Datsu-a-Ron
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Japanese Chat > Japanese Serious Talk
YasukeKomiya
Is anyone familiar with Datsu-a-Ron, apparently it was an article written during the Westernization of Japan and it talked about Japan disassociating itself with Asia if it wanted to advance. It has been at least a century and some decades since it was written and I would like your opinions on Japan's progress on "disassociating" itself with Asia.
foi2
QUOTE (YasukeKomiya @ Nov 26 2010, 02:47 PM) *
Is anyone familiar with Datsu-a-Ron, apparently it was an article written during the Westernization of Japan and it talked about Japan disassociating itself with Asia if it wanted to advance. It has been at least a century and some decades since it was written and I would like your opinions on Japan's progress on "disassociating" itself with Asia.

That was a long time ago during the end of the Meiji era. Even during that time the focus was more on a call to modernize and industrialize. The call to disassociate from Asia was basically to abandon the old way of doing things; The intention was not to 'disassociate', but rather to embrace the power of science and end the shackles of a system that didn't allow for change. The 'disassociation' was not the focus, but rather 'progress' was the focus.

I've noticed some people (mostly uninformed foreign folks) hang themselves on this and have this weird notion that somehow Japanese don't consider themselves part of Asia. I honestly don't know where it came from, but it's completely wrong. Japanese people do consider themselves part of Asia and consider themselves Asian. You'll get weird looks if you go to Japan and insist they're not Asian.
YasukeKomiya
ya that's what feel too. Disassociate what the wrong word to use -_-. I am surprised that some people actually hold on to this. I lived in Japan for 10 years and though it is pretty westernized the mentality amongst the people is not (cept consumerism) if anything they loved to brag about how they are unique (i think its called nihonjirin).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.