Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bride Theft
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Hmong Chat
qaib
I was surprised to know that "bride theft" is still a very common practice in the Middle East according to my professor that teaches Middle Eastern Society and Culture. For the longest time, I thought only Hmong people practice this tradition and some Indonesian.

Bride kidnapping, also known as marriage by abduction or marriage by capture, is a practice throughout history and around the world in which a man abducts the woman he wishes to marry. Bride kidnapping still occurs in countries spanning Central Asia, the Caucasus region, and parts of Africa, and among peoples as diverse as the Hmong in southeast Asia, the Tzeltal in Mexico, and the Romani in Europe. In most countries, bride kidnapping is considered a sex crime, rather than a valid form of marriage. Some versions of it may also be seen as falling along the continuum between forced marriage and arranged marriage. The term is sometimes used to include not only abductions, but also elopements, in which a couple runs away together and seeks the consent of their parents later; these may be referred to as non-consensual and consensual abductions respectively..

Bride kidnapping is generally a joint effort between the would-be groom and his friends and family. Generally, the abductor takes the woman while she is alone. The abductor then sends a message to the kidnap victim's family, informing them of the abduction and the abductor's intent to marry their daughter.[77] If the victim's family manage to find the woman and insist on her return, they might be able to free her from the obligation to marry the man. However, if they fail to find the woman, the kidnap victim is forced to marry the man. The abductor still has to pay a bride price for the woman, generally an increased amount because of the kidnapping.

embarassedlaugh.gif
lilasiankid
How barbaric.
LittleDeathAngel
So if I wanted a Hmong wife, I would need to kidnap her, send a large sum of money to her parents, and hope her parents don't find me. >_>

If they do happen to find me, I would lose the girl as well as the money I sent to her parents. >_>

That's kind of hard to pull off. >_>

Wouldn't the girl struggle or try to run away?

I am pretty sure she isn't going to sit there quietly after getting kidnapped.

Also, how are you going to get her to tell you where she lives?
KraterosHellas
omg their women's rights are still stuck in stone age...
LittleDeathAngel
QUOTE (KraterosHellas @ Dec 27 2010, 06:35 AM) *
omg their women's rights are still stuck in stone age...

Which is good for men... ^^

Not so good for the women though. >_>
Buddhalove
QUOTE (qaib @ Dec 16 2010, 03:08 PM) *
I was surprised to know that "bride theft" is still a very common practice in the Middle East according to my professor that teaches Middle Eastern Society and Culture. For the longest time, I thought only Hmong people practice this tradition and some Indonesian.

Bride kidnapping, also known as marriage by abduction or marriage by capture, is a practice throughout history and around the world in which a man abducts the woman he wishes to marry. Bride kidnapping still occurs in countries spanning Central Asia, the Caucasus region, and parts of Africa, and among peoples as diverse as the Hmong in southeast Asia, the Tzeltal in Mexico, and the Romani in Europe. In most countries, bride kidnapping is considered a sex crime, rather than a valid form of marriage. Some versions of it may also be seen as falling along the continuum between forced marriage and arranged marriage. The term is sometimes used to include not only abductions, but also elopements, in which a couple runs away together and seeks the consent of their parents later; these may be referred to as non-consensual and consensual abductions respectively..

Bride kidnapping is generally a joint effort between the would-be groom and his friends and family. Generally, the abductor takes the woman while she is alone. The abductor then sends a message to the kidnap victim's family, informing them of the abduction and the abductor's intent to marry their daughter.[77] If the victim's family manage to find the woman and insist on her return, they might be able to free her from the obligation to marry the man. However, if they fail to find the woman, the kidnap victim is forced to marry the man. The abductor still has to pay a bride price for the woman, generally an increased amount because of the kidnapping.

embarassedlaugh.gif

What about a 60 years old man going around abducting an 18 years old girl for his bribe? In the modern day society is just plain sicked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.