Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do vietnamese people hate chinese people?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Vietnamese Chat
LittleDeathAngel
I need someone to shed some light on this because I am confused as hell right now. >_>

Anyway, back when I was in high school, I had a few friends that were viet and I was pretty cool with them.

I never had a problem with viet people. >_>

Anyway, I was hanging out with some of my friends and I met this viet chick. She was a friend of my friends.

To make a long story short...

She was pretty polite when I first met her. She thought I was Korean at first but when I told her I was Chinese, her attitude toward me completely changed.

She purposely ignored me and walked away when I introduce myself to her. She would pretend not to see me when I wave "hello".

You get the idea.

She gave me this really "condensing" b!tchy attitude and I don't fu-king know why?!?!? o_O

For those of you who think she is shy, she is NOT.

I can tell the difference between shyness and her being outright rude.

Like...wtf did I do to her?!?!? Other than say, "No, I am not Korean. I am Chinese." o_O

I don't think she is one of those whitewashed anti-Asian chicks because I see her hanging around other viet people.

Anyway, I am confused as hell right now.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Yer
I think if Viets hated Chinese, you'd have noticed more of them acting like her. shrug.gif
Ask her what her problem is. It's probably something hilarious like "my first boyfriend was Chinese and he turned out gay and now I hate guys like him! grrrr"
LittleDeathAngel
QUOTE (Yer @ Feb 16 2011, 10:44 PM) *
I think if Viets hated Chinese, you'd have noticed more of them acting like her. shrug.gif
Ask her what her problem is. It's probably something hilarious like "my first boyfriend was Chinese and he turned out gay and now I hate guys like him! grrrr"

She has been at this for days.... >_>

As for me asking her what her deal is, she won't talk to me.

Look at it this way, if I stopped her in the hallway, she would look the other way and walk off, pretending she didn't see me.

It IS that bad...

I feel like she either really hates me or thinks talking to a Chinese person is beneath her. >_>

Is there a "viet pride" thing that is going around that I don't know about? o_O
StormyWeather
From MY experience, most Asian nations have some form of stereotyping towards China (but usually nothing too serious--like Chinese people are so cheap and stuff like that) but not really any 'hatred'.

I don't really think Vietnamese people dislike Chinese people because most of my Vietnamese friends (and Vietnamese people I meet) always claim to be Vietnamese-Chinese (or sometimes French). Of course, I'm not denying that they could be but it would be silly to dislike Chinese people if you're part Chinese.

This is just from MY experience.
InitialDJay
^dude all asians are a cheap period. i used to work in a restaurant (not a waiter btw) and base on my co-workers (waiters and waitresses) experience in tipping, white people (regardless of age, gender) tip the most. next is young people regardless of ethnicity. then asian american, fob asian, then hispanic, then black.

anyway for the op. i think you should not generalized. maybe that girl has a bf already. approaching a girl with a bf is a nono.gif . you might get shot for it. laugh.gif dont say i didnt warn ya. embarassedlaugh.gif

Najjiah
asians are the worst tippers. i will proudly say that. i have tip calc phone app. and i tip less than 15%. i dont care. my man is even worse. he leaves like 2 quarters even if the bill comes down to $80. lolz!
chiuchimu
QUOTE (Najjiah @ Feb 17 2011, 03:05 AM) *
asians are the worst tippers. i will proudly say that. i have tip calc phone app. and i tip less than 15%. i dont care. my man is even worse. he leaves like 2 quarters even if the bill comes down to $80. lolz!

Maybe time to think about getting another man......
Najjiah
QUOTE (chiuchimu @ Feb 16 2011, 11:15 PM) *
Maybe time to think about getting another man......

lol... no. marriage is a commitment.
KraterosHellas
this is only one of isolated instances. in reality asians (chinese, vietnamese, korean, japanese) get along with each toher fine because of the cultural similarities. i heard there's lot of viet people in taiwan and HK. now they wouldn't be there if they didn't like chinese would tehy? but tell me, was this viet girl hot?
KiD FrM Tha 626
I wouldnt say Viets hating the Chinese, both share almost the same culture. Keep in mind northern Vietnam theres a good pertage of chinese. It should be more like Koreans hating Viets, thats just me.
KraterosHellas
QUOTE (KiD FrM Tha 626 @ Feb 18 2011, 12:28 AM) *
I wouldnt say Viets hating the Chinese, both share almost the same culture. Keep in mind northern Vietnam theres a good pertage of chinese. It should be more like Koreans hating Viets, thats just me.

actually it should be the other way around. remember vietnam war? anyway this argument is all pretty much all useless cuz MOST asians do not hate each other. there are haters everywhere but they never make up the majority.

Suijen
Vietnamese have a grudge against China, first because of current territorial disputes, and also because of the Chinese colonization of Vietnam.

Vietnamese-Chinese however seem to hold a less defensive attitude towards Chinese.
XigonCongchua
QUOTE (LittleDeathAngel @ Feb 16 2011, 08:52 PM) *
She has been at this for days.... >_>

As for me asking her what her deal is, she won't talk to me.

Look at it this way, if I stopped her in the hallway, she would look the other way and walk off, pretending she didn't see me.

It IS that bad...

I feel like she either really hates me or thinks talking to a Chinese person is beneath her. >_>

Is there a "viet pride" thing that is going around that I don't know about? o_O

Hm...I have 3 things to say icon_confused.gif

1. If she has that attitude with you then why care about her? Don't you have enough friends already? Why bother about this one individual? I'm sure all of us have individuals that dislike us for whatever reason we don't know, but we shouldn't be bothered much about them, right?

2. Maybe it's in your mind. Maybe she wasn't realizing that she was offending you??? shrug.gif
I think I have offended lots of people by ignoring them and I didn't even realize about it. Sometimes guys who I'd just met for a few days invited me out for lunch and I refused several times just because I didn't feel like to (I mean they were strangers to me after all and I felt weird eating alone with strangers), and when I met them the next time I just looked away because I didn't want to go through the process of explaining and stuff, and later I found out from other friends that they thought I disliked them.

3. It's a bit funny how you make a big generalization just because of a little incident in your life. Well, do you think everything has to do with the Chinese nationality?

Edit:
Regarding your question, I can guarantee with you that whether Vietnamese hate Chinese has nothing to do with your friend's attitude toward you. icon_wink.gif Most Vietnamese are not that crazy to hate on everyone in an ethnic population. There are lots of political disputes between China and Vietnam recently about Paracels and Spratly, so many Vietnamese may have negative view about China (most often they think of China as bully aggressive neighbor), but they direct that view toward the Chinese government (and possibly the Chinese nationalists who support their government's aggression toward their neighbors at whatever cost), but they don't direct that view toward the "common Chinese people" as they believe the common Chinese got nothing to do with their government's action. To Vietnamese, common Chinese are just like common people of every other ethnicity. So it's extremely unlikely that your friend dislikes you simply because you're Chinese (unless you explicitly said you would support China's invasion of Vietnam or something like that, but you're not crazy to say that to her, right?)

About whether Viets hate Chinese because of the colonization, nah. You can ask yourself these questions, "Do Vietnamese hate the French because the French colonized Vietnam and did lots of destruction to their countries?" "Do Vietnamese today have any problem with Japanese because Japanese invaded Vietnam and cause over 2 millions death in Vietnam?" "Do Vietnamese in VN today hate Americans because American mercilessly bombed their country?" The answer to all of these questions is the simple "No". Why? Well, why be enemies when you can enjoy mutually respected friendship? That's common sense. icon_smile.gif
GentleWind
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 20 2011, 01:19 AM) *
Vietnamese have a grudge against China, first because of current territorial disputes, and also because of the Chinese colonization of Vietnam.

Vietnamese-Chinese however seem to hold a less defensive attitude towards Chinese.

Maybe the older generation. Certainly not me.
avisitor
QUOTE (Najjiah @ Feb 17 2011, 02:18 PM) *
lol... no. marriage is a commitment.

When did you get married???

@Op
Some women hate to be corrected .. embarassedlaugh.gif
Move on ... find another girl who likes Chinese ... you'll be better off

If you want to know what her problem is then you will have to ask her
That is the only way to get a real answer. Other wise it is all speculation.
hugo boss
QUOTE (Najjiah @ Feb 17 2011, 12:05 AM) *

Im asian and I always leave a good tip for a fellow asian, Im definitely more generous towards an asian waitress than non asian
hugo boss
QUOTE (StormyWeather @ Feb 16 2011, 09:25 PM) *
From MY experience, most Asian nations have some form of stereotyping towards China (but usually nothing too serious--like Chinese people are so cheap and stuff like that) but not really any 'hatred'.

I don't really think Vietnamese people dislike Chinese people because most of my Vietnamese friends (and Vietnamese people I meet) always claim to be Vietnamese-Chinese (or sometimes French). Of course, I'm not denying that they could be but it would be silly to dislike Chinese people if you're part Chinese.

This is just from MY experience.

thats what I noticed too about Vietnamese or people that have Chinese ancestory from VN, the only friendly ones are the ones that are part Chinese or ethnic Chinese

dont waste your time trying to be friends with someone that shows they want nothing to do with you, not worth the trouble
hugo boss
here's an experience I had with Vietnamese one time while at a Vietnamese restaurant called the Lemon Grass or something like that

My brother and I went in this restaurant and the Vietnamese waitress spoke to us in Vietnamese and we said were not Vietnamese were Chinese and she automatically treated us in an unfriendly manner, it's like she turned her friendly meter off as soon as she discovered we were not her people and didnt speak her language.

then when the food was ready she brought it out all at the same time and dropped it off in a hurry and didnt say another word and wasnt very nice
VietSk8rGUI
heh....i always thought it was the chinese who hate the viets...i noticed that more than the viet hating chinese
savethezombies
the ones that do are probably the one's living in vietnam. chinese and viets are brothers sisters.
Suijen
QUOTE (VietSk8rGUI @ Mar 21 2011, 08:27 AM) *
heh....i always thought it was the chinese who hate the viets...i noticed that more than the viet hating chinese

Nah, it's just my hating you.
han2
Do vietnamese people hate chinese people?

As far as i know, in real life, my Vietname friends get along just fine with my Chinese friends, and obviously, vice versa. beerchug.gif
XigonCongchua
QUOTE (hugo boss @ Mar 19 2011, 11:11 AM) *
here's an experience I had with Vietnamese one time while at a Vietnamese restaurant called the Lemon Grass or something like that

My brother and I went in this restaurant and the Vietnamese waitress spoke to us in Vietnamese and we said were not Vietnamese were Chinese and she automatically treated us in an unfriendly manner, it's like she turned her friendly meter off as soon as she discovered we were not her people and didnt speak her language.

then when the food was ready she brought it out all at the same time and dropped it off in a hurry and didnt say another word and wasnt very nice

I think that's just in your mind. When you have a fixed conception about something, you perceive the world according to that conception. Waiters in most Vietnamese restaurants are not friendly and I have complained about this in Khmer Chat and Food Chat embarassedlaugh.gif
http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?...6517&st=320
If you speak Vietnamese it's better because majority of them don't really have the patient to speak to English to you. The Vietnamese consumer population is large enough to support their business.
KojTusMeHavnim
This is just my perspective..

But I think a lot of Asians don't like Chinese. I know Hmong people who dont' like Chinese, Lao people who don't like Chinese, Thai people who don't like Chinese, Vietnamese people who don't like Chinese, Indonesians who don't like Chinese.... ...

Why? Because of past history and or because there are Chinese living in SEA controlling the countires ___(you fill in the blank)___.

NOT ALL, of course, hate Chinese. Some will hate but also like Chinese at the same time. They hate what the Chinese are doing and have done but they'll show respect anyway and don't mind to get to know them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.