QUOTE (ahmedwazir @ May 27 2011, 12:11 PM)
As far as I have read, the Romas are basically from the NW of Indian sub-continent, who moved north and then west for many centuries. On their way to continuous migration, they have been mixed with east european bloods which then spread among them. This is why they have different faces and shades of complexions.
The Romas can be partially compared to the Israelis or more specifically the Jews of today. They never had nomadic habits, but they moved from their native lands in the Arabia to all over europe and settled themselves in those countries. People of a certain religion are not supposed to be racially different from other religionists living in the same region, but Israelis do not look exactly like the Arabians. This happened because during the course of this movement of population, they also have been mixed with the local population of europe where they had domiciled.
Studying the faces and physique of the "Roma gypsies," they remind me very much of the southern Indian rather than the northern Indian. Some of you may or may not agree:
When talking about the culture, there is vast difference between North and South India. One can come across differences in their music (Northern Hindustani and Southern Carnatic), dance forms and folks.
1. North India lies in the Indo-Gangetic plain. South India is situated in the Peninsular Deccan Plateau.
2. North Indians are termed as Aryans, and the South Indians as Dravidians.
3. The North Indians are taller, and more strongly built than the South Indians. The South Indians are a bit darker than the North Indians.
4. When compared to the North Indian food, the South Indian food is spicier.
5. The South Indians use more tamarind and coconut when compared to North Indians.
Read more: Difference Between North and South India | Difference Between | North vs South India http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellan.../#ixzz1NZsMKK7E