Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A thin line between love and obsession?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > AF Entertainment > Love / Relationship
mastaping
Im sure there are perhaps distinct differences... But sometimes it confuses me... So what are the differences between love and obsession...
chiuchimu
I'm sure there are other ways of separating the two.

One of the key characteristic differences is:
In obsession, it ultimately comes down to satisfying yourself. In Love, you're doing it for someone else.

JakeCutter
Love goes both ways; obsession goes one. Unless you're both obsessively in love?
Taln
Most of the time love co-exists with everything else going on in your life.
Obsession overrides everything else that used to be important and probably should still be important.
mya89
obsession comes with fantasy and unrealistic dreams...
love comes with reality
FluffyFuab
Obsession is when you're just living for him/her and no longer for yourself.
avisitor
Love is an emotional feeling.
As in .. you can love someone
All good feelings focus upon one thing or person

Obsession is a mental condition where one thing or person becomes the total focus of the mind
The mental condition can be either good or bad.
If it is good then there is an off switch to the obsession
If it is bad then you can have a stalker on your hands

Edit: the thin line is when you can't tell if someone is in love with you
Or has an obsession with you. Cuz by all outward appearances, they look the same
until something bad happens ... good luck
mastaping
Thank you for your answers... Im just starting to question things... My Ex and I have been separated for a year now, we never wanted to separate, we just had too.... And he told me he still loves me and always will, and i love him and miss him so much, but really its driving me crazy so i was beginning to wonder if maybe I am obsessed with him or something since i cant get over him yet...I feel like i love him so much...
avisitor
As far as I know, it is quite normal to be constantly thinking about your ex
As time passes and your focus turns to other things (like kids and just surviving),
you begin to think about the other person less and less.
The feelings never really go away ... they just hid out for a while.

When my highschool sweetheart, ripped my heart out of my chest and handed it to me
I could not get over it. And, thirty years later, I still have feelings for her.
So, yeah, breaking up is hard to do ... and sometimes you never get over it.
But, you do move on with your life.
Suijen
QUOTE (mastaping @ May 18 2011, 01:58 AM) *
Thank you for your answers... Im just starting to question things... My Ex and I have been separated for a year now, we never wanted to separate, we just had too.... And he told me he still loves me and always will, and i love him and miss him so much, but really its driving me crazy so i was beginning to wonder if maybe I am obsessed with him or something since i cant get over him yet...I feel like i love him so much...

Consider checking out forums specifically on love. I'm sure your circumstances are not completely unique, so there may be others who have also shared the same experience. From my layman perspective, it looks like you're just getting through a break up, in which case the feelings of lost and regret are probably the strongest. Consider cold-turkey and finding ways to distract or distance yourself if possible...though if you still have such feelings from over a year, you may also want to consider dating.

GentleWind
True love is unconditional, and this type of love must be cultivated from within the individual.
mastaping
QUOTE (avisitor @ May 17 2011, 09:16 PM) *
As far as I know, it is quite normal to be constantly thinking about your ex
As time passes and your focus turns to other things (like kids and just surviving),
you begin to think about the other person less and less.
The feelings never really go away ... they just hid out for a while.

When my highschool sweetheart, ripped my heart out of my chest and handed it to me
I could not get over it. And, thirty years later, I still have feelings for her.
So, yeah, breaking up is hard to do ... and sometimes you never get over it.
But, you do move on with your life.

Oh no please tell me i wont have 30 years of this feelings... I dont think i could take that .... Im still waiting to stop thinking of that person so much. Its not normal for me to NOT be able to move on..

QUOTE (Suijen @ May 17 2011, 09:28 PM) *
Consider checking out forums specifically on love. I'm sure your circumstances are not completely unique, so there may be others who have also shared the same experience. From my layman perspective, it looks like you're just getting through a break up, in which case the feelings of lost and regret are probably the strongest. Consider cold-turkey and finding ways to distract or distance yourself if possible...though if you still have such feelings from over a year, you may also want to consider dating.

I have tried distancing myself but its very hard... he has also tried distancing himself ... but also fails and we end up talking to each other again a week later. Ive tried dating... but i think the guys i was with can feel that i am not really in the relationship emotionally..... and i do try but as cool as they are or attractive or whatever. I feel my heart is locked up tightly. and my mind is mainly preoccupied with someone else. so out of respect for other people, its best i dont date again... yet i guess.

QUOTE (GentleWind @ May 18 2011, 12:31 AM) *
True love is unconditional, and this type of love must be cultivated from within the individual.

Well i want it to go away.

Well i am glad i am not obsessed haha... I was just worried, because i dont want to be obsessed.
SacredG
QUOTE (mastaping @ May 12 2011, 07:39 AM) *
Im sure there are perhaps distinct differences... But sometimes it confuses me... So what are the differences between love and obsession...

Distinct differences? Yes, love is Having while obsession is Lacking. What vibrations you give out is what you'll get back. Focus on what you have instead of what you don't have, always!

QUOTE (GentleWind @ May 17 2011, 10:31 PM) *

Outer reality is simply a mirror reflecting back to us our own inner state. If we are inwardly in turmoil then we are certain to see a tumultuous world and a seemingly joyful world is only returning to us our own inward joy.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.