Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Khorm on Wiki
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
KhmerBoi
I've been trying to search about the word Khorm. It is so funny what I get from wiki is

Khorm was a frozen planet located in the Mid Rim, home to the Khormai species...] that is fu-king very funnii!!!

Khorm.............................................................., home to the Khamen species...] lolzzzzzzzzzzzz just kidding!!!

So then can any Thai explain me this-

http://www.sak-yant.com/khorm/

What fu-king funny what is the real Thai mentality crisis!!!

Those script of what they consider as Khorm script is what Khmer script that we use everyday. If I am not mistaken, which is develop in the 17 century. For me I could say because at the 17century there is yet Thai political pollution for the relationship between Khmer and Siam. The problem of the understanding about Khmer civilization is just recently created in the 19-20 century by Thai nationalism with mentality crisis!!! But I am sure some Thai who have mentality crisis and trying to be look smart will see in difference side with their ignorance!!
DizneyLandGambler
Thai people are very stupid, they expect us to believe that their script is old stemming from the 12th century because they picked up a stone as old as that and carved some words and voila, you have yourself an ancient script. lol

They maybe able to fool their people but all archeologist and scholars who study the tablet says the inscription was added much later. OWNED
NoKhmen
That's Khom script, not Khmer script.

Khmer didn't create Khom Script. Khmer adopted Khom script.

Don't think your Khmer slave ancestor could create anything by their own. The best they could do was dragging stone to build Angkor for the Khom. biggthumpup.gif
NoKhmen
Khom = Syam = Ancient Siamese
Khmer = descents of Khom/Syam slaves = Kha'men
Khmer didn't exist in Khom era but Syam did. beerchug.gif
DizneyLandGambler
cheap thai lips only good for pleasuring farang, not good for telling the truth.
KhmerBoi
QUOTE (NoKhmen @ Oct 23 2011, 10:03 PM) *
That's Khom script, not Khmer script.

Khmer didn't create Khom Script. Khmer adopted Khom script.

Don't think your Khmer slave ancestor could create anything by their own. The best they could do was dragging stone to build Angkor for the Khom. biggthumpup.gif

Men, don't so stupid. According to your logic you can say anything that is before the 14th century about the Khorm. But this script is just one of the hundred style base on Khmer alphabet. Is that what you trying to claim that the language that we spoken today is the Khorm Language? I think if the whole population of Cambodia know about this. Khmer and Thai never good end!!!! So then the world know that who is the one to created the problem!!!!

Now everyone can see that this Thai nationalism mentality crisis though!!!!!
NoKhmen
QUOTE (KhmerBoi @ Oct 23 2011, 06:20 PM) *
Men, don't so stupid. According to your logic you can say anything that is before the 14th century about the Khorm. But this script is just one of the hundred style base on Khmer alphabet. Is that what you trying to claim that the language that we spoken today is the Khorm Language? I think if the whole population of Cambodia know about this. Khmer and Thai never good end!!!! So then the world know that who is the one to created the problem!!!!

Now everyone can see that this Thai nationalism mentality crisis though!!!!!

Now Khmer is only nation that use (Modified) Khom script as their own nation script, that doesn't mean you own Khom script. It like Latin script doesn't belong to any specifice European ethnics or nations. Siam had been using Khom script since Syam ever existed. Khom script belongs to Syam. Syam inherit her culture and also her blood to Siam. Siamese had been using Khom script in our sacred Buddhist documents, until Siam changed to a modern state called Thailand. Now we have untranslated hundred thousands of Buddhist document called Bai-Laan written in Khom script. And we called it Khom Thai. Your Khmer script is also modified from Khom script and it's called Khmer script. You khmer never created Khom script but adopted it.
mushrooms
It's true that Thai/Siamese have their own variant of Khmer script that they maintained. And this is what we all call "Khom" script. This is a unique style. Compare it with Latin script styles from the middle ages like Uncial, Gothic (Blackletter), Italics, and etc.

The Thais maintained a style taht they called "Khom" which is comparable to the English maintaining a style called "Gothic" or "Old English" even though the script originate from Italy region.

On the other hand, Cambodians, maintained different styles it's own. These styles had made a few tweaks here and there from Angkor era script (and guess what it was never exactly the same even before Angkor era, scripts are often seen evolving).

The "Khom" version of Thailand has different appearance here and there from Khmer script in Cambodia.

It's interesting to note, the "Khom" script from Thailand was introduced into Cambodia around 1800s or so I believe. The royal Thai Buddhist sect was introduced into Cambodia during this time and this was the style that was used in palm leaf. But we also have a close style called "Mul" that Cambodians use for religious text too. This style is also used in poetry as influence by the royal court of Siam and was still used in Cambodian poetry into the 1970s for printing too (now "Khom" style is rare to see and we use "Mul" more than "Khom" style now.)

Samdech Chuon Nath acknowledges this is as a style of writing as defined in his dictionary it is named after the Thai name for it "ខម."

But we also have our own native styles like "Mul", Chhor, and Chrieng. "Mul" is the version that looks most similar to "Khom."

Khom in Khmer language specifically refers to the Thai style of Khmer script. Yes, this word exists in Khmer language to refer to the script style only. But it is due to Siamese influence around 1800s or so. Not that we believe Khom are a different race or whatever.
Suriin1234
QUOTE (mushrooms @ Oct 23 2011, 09:56 PM) *
It's true that Thai/Siamese have their own variant of Khmer script that they maintained. And this is what we all call "Khom" script. This is a unique style. Compare it with Latin script styles from the middle ages like Uncial, Gothic (Blackletter), Italics, and etc.

The Thais maintained a style taht they called "Khom" which is comparable to the English maintaining a style called "Gothic" or "Old English" even though the script originate from Italy region.

On the other hand, Cambodians, maintained different styles it's own. These styles had made a few tweaks here and there from Angkor era script (and guess what it was never exactly the same even before Angkor era, scripts are often seen evolving).

The "Khom" version of Thailand has different appearance here and there from Khmer script in Cambodia.

It's interesting to note, the "Khom" script from Thailand was introduced into Cambodia around 1800s or so I believe. The royal Thai Buddhist sect was introduced into Cambodia during this time and this was the style that was used in palm leaf. But we also have a close style called "Mul" that Cambodians use for religious text too. This style is also used in poetry as influence by the royal court of Siam and was still used in Cambodian poetry into the 1970s for printing too (now "Khom" style is rare to see and we use "Mul" more than "Khom" style now.)

Samdech Chuon Nath acknowledges this is as a style of writing as defined in his dictionary it is named after the Thai name for it "ខម."

But we also have our own native styles like "Mul", Chhor, and Chrieng. "Mul" is the version that looks most similar to "Khom."

Khom in Khmer language specifically refers to the Thai style of Khmer script. Yes, this word exists in Khmer language to refer to the script style only. But it is due to Siamese influence around 1800s or so. Not that we believe Khom are a different race or whatever.

Eh you think our ppl built angkor wat? seem to know more about khmer history then some of the khmer here.
mushrooms
QUOTE (Suriin1234 @ Oct 23 2011, 08:16 PM) *
Eh you think our ppl built angkor wat? seem to know more about khmer history then some of the khmer here.

Don't let these pseudo-historian, Thai trolls get to you. They are just retaliating because Cambodian trolls made them butt-hurt. And well, that's sad and I feel ashamed of Cambodian trolls that spew out arrogant or false $hit. I am against trolling. But we don't need butt-hurt Thais to antagonize us back either, it just makes the problem worse. There are good Thai people out there like Peaceman, god bless you. lol But not these trolls.

Well, I believe our ancestors are the people of Angkor until Western historians start stating otherwise.

Even though our culture has come a long way and lost some aspects or gathered some influence from neighbors doesn't mean we did not descend from the people of the Khmer empire, wethere it be slaves, peasants, nobility, etc. Of course modern Cambodians includes other diaspora, but that is given in any nation in that region.

These Thai trolls are more than welcome to become historians and postulate that we modern Khmers and ancient Khmer aren't related at all and argue their story against Western historians, but I have yet to hear an unbias Western historian say we aren't descendants of the people of ancient Khmer. Hello? In academic field, they acknowledge the precursors to Khmer are middle Khmer and old Khmer (language of Angkor). Obviously there is a link between peoples as spoken language is matained by living peoples. There is no strong reason to say modern Cambodia is a nation that was created out of the blue and unrelated to the people of Angkor yet decided to claim Angkor as it's past. Dohoho.

ANd perhaps this pseudo-history they try to come up with about Khom is to disassociate their past history and culture involving modern Cambodians who they consider dark and inferior. I guess it makes some of their heads want to explode to know that all those Khmer cultural elements in their culture come from people with dark skin and living in a poor country. Yes, I'm pulling teh race card up. Thai society is somewhat racist and I wouldnt be surprised if the underlying reason for creating the Khom theory is the result of this racist mentality.
NoKhmen
QUOTE (mushrooms @ Oct 23 2011, 11:49 PM) *
Don't let these pseudo-historian, Thai trolls get to you. They are just retaliating because Cambodian trolls made them butt-hurt. And well, that's sad and I feel ashamed of Cambodian trolls that spew out arrogant or false $hit. I am against trolling. But we don't need butt-hurt Thais to antagonize us back either, it just makes the problem worse. There are good Thai people out there like Peaceman, god bless you. lol But not these trolls.

Well, I believe our ancestors are the people of Angkor until Western historians start stating otherwise.

Even though our culture has come a long way and lost some aspects or gathered some influence from neighbors doesn't mean we did not descend from the people of the Khmer empire, wethere it be slaves, peasants, nobility, etc. Of course modern Cambodians includes other diaspora, but that is given in any nation in that region.

These Thai trolls are more than welcome to become historians and postulate that we modern Khmers and ancient Khmer aren't related at all and argue their story against Western historians, but I have yet to hear an unbias Western historian say we aren't descendants of the people of ancient Khmer. Hello? In academic field, they acknowledge the precursors to Khmer are middle Khmer and old Khmer (language of Angkor). Obviously there is a link between peoples as spoken language is matained by living peoples. There is no strong reason to say modern Cambodia is a nation that was created out of the blue and unrelated to the people of Angkor yet decided to claim Angkor as it's past. Dohoho.

ANd perhaps this pseudo-history they try to come up with about Khom is to disassociate their past history and culture involving modern Cambodians who they consider dark and inferior. I guess it makes some of their heads want to explode to know that all those Khmer cultural elements in their culture come from people with dark skin and living in a poor country. Yes, I'm pulling teh race card up. Thai society is somewhat racist and I wouldnt be surprised if the underlying reason for creating the Khom theory is the result of this racist mentality.

Tell me if you are really direct descent of Angkorean. Why your current culture are not same as Angkor tradition but Siamese/Thai?

Language people spoken can be changed. Real ancestors of Khmer people today may spoke a different language from the langauge spoken in Angkor era (Khom language), Khom empire had Khom language as Lingua Franca, Khmer ancestors adopted Khom language as their own. It's possible. Karen people in Mynmar, are people of Austroasiatic (Mon-Khmer) people by genetics but due to their migration environment, they migrated to land of Tiberto-Burman speakers, so they adopted Tibeto-Burman language and became Karen language today. (Their true Karen language is AA but now they speak TB). Or just people in today Thailand, many ethnics drop their native languages, speak only Thai language, and this phenomenon happen in Cambodia, Laos, and other countries too. Khmer speak a language closed to Khom language doesn't mean they are Khom themselves. That's reason I talked to you that Khmer maybe Cham people becos they share many similarities.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.