Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cambodia to offer US$20,000 to US hurricane relief
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
bam
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-09/...ent_3470604.htm

PHNOM PENH, Sept. 10 (Xinhuanet) -- The Cambodian government decided to donate 20,000 US dollars to the United States to help with emergency relief efforts in the wake of hurricane Katrina, local newspaper reported on Saturday.

The sum was approved by the Council of Ministers on Friday, according to Information Minister Khieu Kanharith.

Though Cambodia is still largely dependent on foreign aid, the Council of Ministers agreed to the donation at its weekly meeting,Khieu Kanharith was quoted on Saturday by The Cambodia Daily as saying.

"This is our small, heartfelt contribution to join with Americans in offering condolences to those killed in the Katrina disaster," Khieu said.

Nations everywhere, when faced with natural disasters, should be united in solidarity as the American people have been united since the disaster, the minister said. Enditem
Nung1
thats great! biggthumpup.gif
TaiTanIc
why not use that money to help ur own people? i mean cambodain people needed it more biggrin.gif ..i rather help my own people before others
Suijen
^ It shows how generous and thoughtful Cambodia is. It's easier to give bread to yourself than to someone else.
TaiTanIc
QUOTE (Suijen @ Sep 10 2005, 11:50 PM)
^ It shows how generous and thoughtful Cambodia is.  It's easier to give bread to yourself than to someone else.

not really...if other nation needed help would they give that country money?
transtic
Didn't Cambodia donate some amount to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia after the tsunami?
TaiTanIc
QUOTE (transtic @ Sep 11 2005, 12:04 AM)
Didn't Cambodia donate some amount to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia after the tsunami?

my bad i am wrong then.. beerchug.gif
siambear50
They should use those money for their own country. Moreover $20000 cant help anything. Maybe enough to buy a standard car in the State.
transtic
Cambodia should help the world by helping itself out, instead of relying on foreign aid so much. Still, a nice gesture.
crew
I find it ironic that a corrupt government who pocketed foreign aid is giving it away back to its donor country. But all in all, it was an act of kindness.
sbatina
stupidd.. like america helps cambodia
siambear50
Help yourselves Cambodia.
Bulldogg
This is nice, but when have the U.S.A helped Cambodia?

crazy.gif
chanthhha
Sometimes, its not so hard to understand the world politics.
If anybody actually thought that prime minister Hun Sen contributed those wast money, you're surely needed to rethink again. In case, if the money was contribute into the victims of New Orlean, I am quite sure that it would passed indirectly or to somewhere else.

$20,000 could off built few schools, small infrastructure, and probably a few jobs for rural or remote areas. However, as I said before, its a world of politics. The voice people cries out for helps, the politcians ignores them.

It could be his lies intention, because I have heard he and his colleagues recently travelling to New York and Paris to debate about consparicy developing and reforming of Cambodia.

Poor Cambodians inadequated in terms of......... I means everythings.
Forget the world, focuses more on our issues.
Suijen
^ If we took that advice, there would be no such thing as foreign aid.
mythoslegend
QUOTE (Bulldogg @ Sep 11 2005, 09:03 AM)
This is nice, but when have the U.S.A helped Cambodia?

crazy.gif

They didn't. They were the ones that let the genocide continue.
chanthhha
QUOTE (Suijen @ Sep 11 2005, 02:18 PM)

What are you talking about? foreign aid for Cambodia, is it what you mean?
Which countries aid Cambodia, anyway?
Suijen
QUOTE (chanthhha @ Sep 11 2005, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (Suijen @ Sep 11 2005, 02:18 PM)

What are you talking about? foreign aid for Cambodia, is it what you mean?
Which countries aid Cambodia, anyway?

I meant if all countries adopted the "take care of ourselves before taking care of others" no one would ever give to others, since there will always be a poor family out there.
chanthhha
I meant if all countries adopted the "take care of ourselves before taking care of others" no one would ever give to others, since there will always be a poor family out there.

[/quote]

I like the look of our principle, however do you actually think the concepts make sense to us?
Sammy Mac
That is very generous n thoughtful of the Cambodian government. When Cambodia is recovering from the years of war from that evil pol pot. I recall my khmer friend parents telling me about how it was..

Sammy
Suijen
^ Well, it is not the most practical, but then stuff like honor and pride are not practical either.
juwanFromTaiwan
I agree this is a nice gesture. But Cambodia clearly needs to help its own people with that money.. 20 thousand dollars buys alot of food.
Suijen
I guess Cambodians are lean more towards honor than practicality.
chanthhha
Prime Minister Hun Sen institutionalization pretty much so called dictatorship.
His accomplishment in terms of:

-Increasing more terrorism, abadoned all law and regulation,
-Highly increased more and more corrupted officials
-Development great policies for land grabber
-Anybody whose against him shall be disappear, acccording to his commandment.
-Convert the beauty into the darkness society
-Wealthy and individual return.

Majority of the population against his policy of action. In Cambodia, there is no such law and order, basically Prime Minister uses military power to enforce the people unlawfully to votes for him.

If Cambodia has a system of justice and fair institutions. I guranteed that Cambodia has and will be higher level of running the country.

Back to the topic, by any western standard $20,000 does not counted for $hit.
Krypt!c
Cambodia isn't trying 2 rebuild New Orlean. 20 gran isn't alot, but it's something.
junglestars
it's not about the money here, it's about the idea of giving and doing your part.

$20K can help several families survive until they get on their feets. it's alot of money to some people.

QUOTE (siambear50 @ Sep 10 2005, 09:19 PM)
They should use those money for their own country. Moreover $20000 cant help anything. Maybe enough to buy a standard car in the State.
junglestars
i am sorry you feel that way....maybe you need to readjust your mindset. like i said, it's not about the amount here don't you get it?

QUOTE (chanthhha @ Sep 14 2005, 04:23 PM)
Prime Minister Hun Sen institutionalization pretty much so called dictatorship.
His accomplishment in terms of:

-Increasing more terrorism, abadoned all law and regulation,
-Highly increased more and more corrupted officials
-Development great policies for land grabber
-Anybody whose against him shall be disappear, acccording to his commandment.
-Convert the beauty into the darkness society
-Wealthy and individual return.

Majority of the population against his policy of action. In Cambodia, there is no such law and order, basically Prime Minister uses military power to enforce the people unlawfully to votes for him.

If Cambodia has a system of justice and fair institutions. I guranteed that Cambodia has and will be higher  level of running the country.

Back to the topic, by any western standard $20,000 does not counted for $hit.
chanthhha
[QUOTE][quote=junglestars,Sep 14 2005, 07:20 PM]
i am sorry you feel that way....maybe you need to readjust your mindset. like i said, it's not about the amount here don't you get it?[/QUOTE]

If you thoughts that Prime Minister Hun Sen is geniuse and so called special vision/strategy, please help me to undersdtand your intentional.

I am waiting!
crew
QUOTE (Suijen @ Sep 14 2005, 03:28 PM)
I guess Cambodians are lean more towards honor than practicality.

I think it's a combination of both honor and practicality. The government are kissing up to the US in a way to show honor as America has also helped Cambodia in donating (millions) more than just a scanty $20,000. I'm also sure that the government saw that it could be put to good use because although the sum isn't that impressive, it can surely help save a good number of lives. All in all, I think it is good image for Cambodia.
Point_Dexter
HAhaha funny... Cambodia faces floods every year.

Cambodians needs to teach Americans how to build houses on stilts.
transtic
^ houses on stilts aren't practical in a hurricane. They're worse :P.
JMAC
its just a symbolic gesture, just like how Philippines sent like 50 troops in Iraq to show support... embarassedlaugh.gif
khamara
That's great ! It's doesn't make any different, Cambodians,Americans, We're all Human being. How do you felt, You come to this Country as a refugee,and NOW you're refugee again. You lost everything that you own , You work so hard to support your family the last twenty something year
all gone...... Now you start all over again, Have a heart ,would you ?
soro_i
beerchug.gif ... Excellent showing of goodwill... and I hate it, but I must say it's a brilliant move in world stage.

QUOTE (transtic @ Sep 15 2005, 01:43 PM)
^ houses on stilts aren't practical in a hurricane. They're worse :P.

Actually building on "stilts" is a way to hurricane / typhoon proof a structure. Since there are less surface space to stop the force of wave. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.