Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miss Philippines is Miss International 2005 !
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Filipino Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Ek-ek

Miss International winner Precious Lara Quigaman from the Philippines waves after winning at the Miss International beauty pageant in Tokyo September 26, 2005. Quigaman was chosen as Miss International among the 52 contestants who participated. In the background first runner-up Miss Dominican Republic Yadira Geara is seen. REUTERS/Toru Hanai

(UPDATE) MISS Philippines Precious Lara Quigaman was crowned Miss International 2005 on Monday, coming out first among contestants from 52 countries and regions in the beauty pageant held in Tokyo.

Quigaman, a 22-year-old fashion model, cried for joy as her victory was announced at the audience at a concert hall in downtown Tokyo, where she beat 11 other finalists.

Contestants paraded in their national costumes, as well as bikinis and evening dresses to compete in the beauty contest, organized by Japan's International Cultural Association.

Yadira Geara Cury, 19, of the Dominican Republic came in second, followed by Susanna Laine, 23, of Finland.

Quigaman is the eldest of four children of Princesita Quigaman, a registered nurse in Bristol, United Kingdom, and the late Nelson Quigaman. She grew up in Biñan, Laguna.

A freelance web writer, Quigaman is a graduate of NVQ Media Production and Communications at Filton College in the United Kingdom. She also took up Bachelor of Arts in Childhood and Youth Studies at Bristol UK.

Miss International 2005: Philippines, Precious Lara Quigaman
1st Runner-up: Dominican Republic, Yadira Geara
2nd Runner-up: Finland, Susanna Laine

Top 12 Semifinalists:
Brazil, Ariane Colombo
Colombia, Diana P. Arbelaez
France, Cynthia Tevere
Japan, Naomi Ishizaka
Peru, Vanessa López
Serbia & Montenegro, Sanja Miljanic
Turkey, Sebnem Azade
Ukraine, Maria Zhukova
Venezuela, Andrea Gomez

Miss Friendship: Hongkong, Queenie Chu
Best in National Costume, Tanzania, Margareth Wilson Chacha

She is the fourth Filipino to be crowned Miss International. Philippines has produced three Miss International titleholders--Gemma Cruz, Aurora Pijuan and Melanie Marquez.

President Arroyo congratulated Quigaman. In a statement Monday night she said: "On behalf of all Fiipinos, I congratulate Precious Lara Quigaman for winning the Miss International title. She joins a long list of Filipinas who have brought our country honor and prestige, not only for their beauty, but also for their intelligence, charm and grace."

Mrs. Arroyo said Quigaman should serve as a responsible role model for young women in our country.
sheila
Oh yeah! I just read the news in inq7.net =)
filipinoy

TO MISS PHILIPPINES!

QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Sep 26 2005, 07:59 PM)

^are those armpit hair or libageek.gif^ , lol
toki
QUOTE (filipinoy @ Sep 26 2005, 09:54 PM)

TO MISS PHILIPPINES!

^are those armpit hair or libag eek.gif , lol

embarassedlaugh.gif2 embarassedlaugh.gif2 lets hope its not hair..
pilipinas_kong_mahal
QUOTE (toki @ Sep 26 2005, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (filipinoy @ Sep 26 2005, 09:54 PM)

TO MISS PHILIPPINES!

^are those armpit hair or libag eek.gif , lol

embarassedlaugh.gif2 embarassedlaugh.gif2 lets hope its not hair..

let's hope also that it is not libag embarassedlaugh.gif2 ... maybe it is sunburn, let's think that way embarassedlaugh.gif2 . CONGRATULATIONS MS. PHILIPPINES.[I]
filipinoy
lol, u dont get sunburns on ur armpits, & sunburns dont look like that
Ek-ek
confused.gif I think it is just shadows

Precious Lara Quigaman in Pineapple inspired costume. According to earlier report , the costume is one of the top ten favorites of the preliminary judges.

Pictures from Bellezavenezolana.net

biggthumpup.gif For more informations try this link:Pawee's Kiss and Tell forum

Binibining Pilipinas Binibining Pilipinas
toki
me like pineapples. however i get allergic if i eat too much acidy fruits especially tropical ones. eek.gif icon_confused.gif
Ek-ek
love2.gif See the Precious Lara Quigaman gallery courtesy of Binibining Pilipinas

Binibining Pilipinas

Binibining Pilipinas-International

Precious Lara Quigaman
The union of the late Nelson Quigaman and Princesita Quigaman, a registered nurse in Bristol , United Kingdom , produced four siblings and Precious is the eldest. She was born on January 3, 1983 and now resides at Ususan in Taguig, Metro Manila.

Precious grew up in Binan, Laguna until grade 1. She continued studying at Indian School in Bahrain from Grade 2 to 6, and returned to Binan where she completed her high school at La Consolacion College.

Like other young girls her age, Precious loves eating chocolate, watching TV, surfing the net, sketching, and web writing during her free time.

Freelance Web writer and Model, Precious is a graduate of NVQ Media Production and Communications at Filton College in the United Kingdom . She took up a course in BA Childhood and Youth Studies at Bristol UK . She has also experienced being a Sales Adviser for Marks & Spencer PLC and Supporting Artiste for BBC's Casualty.

Performing brilliantly in the Q & A segment, she managed to stand tall and proud of her achievement even as she won the Bb. Pilipinas-International title in the recent 2005 Bb. Pilipinas Beauty Pageant held last March 19 th.
The 2005 Bb. Pilipinas Beauty Pageant was presented by the following sponsors, donors and service partners: Gateway Mall, Araneta Center Inc., Avon

Colors, Philippine Airlines, Sta. Lucia Realty & Department Store, Smart Communications, Inc., Pizza Hut, Allied Bank, GMA 7, Cumbia at Gateway, Davids Salon, Manila Bulletin, The Richmonde Hotel, Eacomm, Dale Carnegie Training, Berlitz Language Center, Partas Bus Lines, SGV, and the Department Of Tourism.

The 2005 Miss International Beauty Pageant is set to commence in Tokyo , Japan on September 26 th , having 52 official delegates from different countries all over the world. Part of the 18 day activity; a courtesy call to Mr. Ishihara Governor of Tokyo City, visit to the ancient city of Kamakura; the Yuri Takano Charity Golf Competition and Jewelry Show Reception; Travel to Aichi for the Aichi Expo event, and visit to Toyota Factory. Then back to Tokyo for the shopping tour, pageant rehearsals and the grand coronation night.

biggthumpup.gif From previous thread:Precious Lara Quigaman
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (filipinoy @ Sep 26 2005, 07:54 PM)

TO MISS PHILIPPINES!

^are those armpit hair or libageek.gif^ , lol

libag or no-libag, she still won the crown. lol.
Ek-ek
biggthumpup.gif Here is the list of the 4 Miss Iternational winners from the Philippines and their courts.

United States (2nd), Brazil (3rd), Philippines (winner), England (4th) & Finland (5th)
1964 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Gemma Teresa (Mimi) Guerrero Cruz
2 UNITED STATES - Linda Ann Taylor
3 BRAZIL - Vera Lúcia Couto dos Santos
4 ENGLAND - Tracy Ingram
5 FINLAND - Maila Maria Östring

New Zealand (5th), Australia (3rd), Philippines (winner), Argentina (2nd) & Japan (4th)
1970 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Aurora (Au-Au) McKenny Pijuan
2 ARGENTINA - Margarita Marta Briese
3 AUSTRALIA - Karen Patricia Papworth
4 JAPAN - Toshie Suda
5 NEW ZEALAND - Susan Frances Greaves

Front Austria (3rd), Philippines (winner) & United States (2nd)
Back Japan (5th) & Finland (4th)
1979 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Mimilanie (Nene) Laurel Marquez
2 UNITED STATES - Anna Maria Rapagna
3 AUSTRIA - Elisabeth Schmidt
4 FINLAND - Kate Elizabeth Nyberg
5 JAPAN - Hideko Haba

2005 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Precious Lara San Agustin Quigaman
2 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Yadira Geara Cury
3 FINLAND - Susanna Laine
Suijen
She's cute.
filipinoy
QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Sep 26 2005, 09:46 PM)

WOW!!! love2.gif , this is better than that BritneySpears/Madonna/Christina Aguilera kiss kiss.gif biggthumpup.gif

.....lol i'm just messin' w/da pics icon_wink.gif
Cristiano_Ronaldo
^ LOL. Madonna/Christina/Britney threesome wasn't even hot.

Anyway, I saw an interview with her on TFC. She's even more gorgreous on TV than those pictures love2.gif
Ek-ek
biggthumpup.gif Huge welcome readied for Miss International 2005
From Manila Bulletin website:

By ROBERT R. REQUINTINA

When Miss Philippines Precious Lara Quigaman, winner of the prestigious 2005 Miss International beauty pageant, returns to the country sometime next week, a big welcome awaits her.

Officials of the Bb. Pilipinas Charities Inc. (BPCI) said that preparations are under way to welcome Quigaman, the fourth Filipina to win the international contest which was held in Tokyo, Japan last Monday night.

Unconfirmed reports said that a motorcade is being planned from the airport to the Araneta Center in Cubao, Quezon City, home of the Bb. Pilipinas, during the arrival of Quigaman. Sources also said that Quigaman will pay a courtesy call on President Arroyo on her arrival.

Other sources said that the international beauty may arrive in the country either Sunday or Monday.

Quigaman, 22, won the Bb. Pilipinas-International title in March, earning her the right to represent the country in the Miss International beauty contest in Tokyo.

But it wasn’t the first time Quigaman joined the Bb. Pilipinas beauty pageant. Ronald Rodriguez of the Fuentes Publicity, the company that handled the local pageant’s coronation event, said that Quigaman first joined the same contest in 2001. "She never won any awards."

"But she really wanted to become a beauty queen. That’s why she joined the contest again," Rodriguez said.

Quigaman is the fourth Filipina to win the Miss International title. The first was Gemma Cruz in 1965, followed by Aurora Pijuan in 1970, and Melanie Marquez in 1979.

Armando de San Agustin, 74, grandfather of Quigaman, said his granddaughter grew up in Ususan, Taguig. San Agustin is the father of Lara’s mother, Precisita.

San Agustin, jeepney driver, said that they learned about his granddaughter’s triumph through the beauty queen’s best friend.

"Lara’s high school best friend joined her in Tokyo, along with her mother and younger brother Ariel. When Lara made it to the semi-finals of the contest, she called the house. And when Lara finally made it, she called again."

Members of the San Agustin household cheered Quigaman’s victory.

San Agustin described Quigaman as simple and quiet while she was growing up. Quigaman spent her teenage days in Biñan, Laguna, where she attended high school at La Consolacion College Biñan, he said.

Later, Quigaman went to London and studied at Filton College.

Quigaman is listed in her portfolio as a freelance web writer before concentrating on modeling. At 5’5 tall, the beauty titlist weighs 100 lbs. and measures 33-23-34.

GMA 7’s "24 Oras" said Quigaman impressed the judges with her answer on kids welfare. Quigaman said she hopes to raise funds for children and give them free education, not only in the Philippines but also around the world. She said that her plans will promote friendship among nations.

Quigaman also said that she misses her father a lot who died in a vehicular accident in May. Interviewed by news anchor Karen Davila, Quigaman cried and said: "Dad, miss na miss na kita. I know you’ve always believed in me. I know you can hear me and see me. Thank you for praying for me. You will always be in my heart."

In a statement, President Arroyo extended her and the Filipino people’s felicitations to Quigaman.

"On behalf of all Filipinos, I congratulate Precious Lara Quigaman for winning the Miss International title. She joins a long list of Filipinas who have brought our country honor and prestige, not only for their beauty, but also for their intelligence, charm and grace," the President said in a statement released by Malacañang immediately after the crowning ceremonies in Tokyo.

Arroyo added: "May she serve as a responsible role model for young women in our country."

Senate Majority Leader Kiko Pangilinan saluted Quigaman’s victory. The senator said: "Precious Lara Quigaman’s victory is a welcome respite for the whole nation. After the triumphs of Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao and two other compatriots, Ms. Quigaman’s success in the pageant reiterates the innate inability of Filipinos to conquer the world. She will surely be an inspiration to our nation and I am elated to hear that she is also an advocate of children’s rights herself."
dalawapo
QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Sep 27 2005, 05:36 PM)
biggthumpup.gif Here is the list of the 4 Miss Iternational winners from the Philippines and their courts.

United States (2nd), Brazil (3rd), Philippines (winner), England (4th) & Finland (5th)
1964 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Gemma Teresa (Mimi) Guerrero Cruz
2 UNITED STATES - Linda Ann Taylor
3 BRAZIL - Vera Lúcia Couto dos Santos
4 ENGLAND - Tracy Ingram
5 FINLAND - Maila Maria Östring

New Zealand (5th), Australia (3rd), Philippines (winner), Argentina (2nd) & Japan (4th)
1970 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Aurora (Au-Au) McKenny Pijuan
2 ARGENTINA - Margarita Marta Briese
3 AUSTRALIA - Karen Patricia Papworth
4 JAPAN - Toshie Suda
5 NEW ZEALAND - Susan Frances Greaves

Front Austria (3rd), Philippines (winner) & United States (2nd)
Back Japan (5th) & Finland (4th)
1979 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Mimilanie (Nene) Laurel Marquez
2 UNITED STATES - Anna Maria Rapagna
3 AUSTRIA - Elisabeth Schmidt
4 FINLAND - Kate Elizabeth Nyberg
5 JAPAN - Hideko Haba

2005 Miss International
1 PHILIPPINES - Precious Lara San Agustin Quigaman
2 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Yadira Geara Cury
3 FINLAND - Susanna Laine

mimi, au-au, nene, and now pepe? embarassedlaugh.gif LMAOOOOOOOo
j_diddy

Miss Philippines PreciousLara Quigaman,
second from right, and Miss Singapore Catherine Tan,
right, examine small digital camera
at a camera goods discount shop in Tokyo
Saturday, Sept.24, 2005.
The final of the annual beauty pageant

beerchug.gif
j_diddy

j_diddy

EMERALDRAGON7
Whooptie doo...another pagaent winner, too bad her winning it still doesn't help the starving, poor Filipino back home.
Cristiano_Ronaldo
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 27 2005, 10:46 PM)
Whooptie doo...another pagaent winner, too bad her winning it still doesn't help the starving, poor Filipino back home.

Why is it that when Filipinos are succeeding, there HAS to be idiots like you? icon_rolleyes.gif
EMERALDRAGON7
QUOTE (Cristiano_Ronaldo @ Sep 27 2005, 10:50 PM)

Why is it that when Filipinos are succeeding, there HAS to be idiots like you? icon_rolleyes.gif

Why is it when something as superficial as that, there has to be $hit FOR BRAINS like yourself that can think hard enough that it DOESN'T benefit our country. sure.gif
Cristiano_Ronaldo
Why do you DRAG 'what benefits' our country into this? This is just a fu-king a pageant and you become so tense icon_rolleyes.gif A pageant is just a pageant. Incorporating economics, $h!t that our country deals with and pageants are unnecessary. icon_rolleyes.gif
malaccan
LOL! Not one, and I mean not one beauty pageant that involves Miss Philippines winning the title would pass unnoticed by Ek-ek!
Nice one biggthumpup.gif
EMERALDRAGON7
QUOTE (Cristiano_Ronaldo @ Sep 27 2005, 11:36 PM)
Why do you DRAG 'what benefits' our country into this? This is just a fu-king a pageant and you become so tense icon_rolleyes.gif A pageant is just a pageant. Incorporating economics, $h!t that our country deals with and pageants are unnecessary. icon_rolleyes.gif

Imagine your a poor unemployed Filipino back home trying to find the evenings meal and worry about tommorows meal, would you even care? I don't think so.
I wouldn't...because peep this, if you knew how to think real hard, it is only beneficial to our image for a temporary time only. I don't see those beauty pagaent winners building a country! Thats the problem with so many Filipinos today, all shobiz and glamor it becomes A-PATHETIC. But when it comes to questioning that glitz and glamor shiet, people like you who take it as a piece of real pride, freeze on the spot. I'll be proud when an entrepreneur sets up in the Phil. and becomes successful enought to make jobs for the people back home, now thats somthing to be trully proud about. Fukk the beauty pagaent to bring national pride, today it's economics that bring prominence to nations. Money talks bullshiet walks, which one are you? icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lame.gif
dalawapo
delete
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 27 2005, 08:46 PM)

You moron. Why did you think that winning a beauty pageant can help the starving, poor Filipinos? What's the connection? How can you even relate winning a beauty pageant with helping in the hunger problem? Plain and simple, you are an idiot.
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 27 2005, 09:02 PM)

Why is it when something as superficial as that, there has to be $hit FOR BRAINS like yourself that can think hard enough that it DOESN'T benefit our country. sure.gif

EMERALDRAGON7, you're the biggest idiot. What's the correlation between winning a beauty pageant and helping out (or providing solution - as hopefuly you would mean) in the starvation issue?
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 28 2005, 12:36 AM)
Imagine your a poor unemployed Filipino back home trying to find the evenings meal and worry about tommorows meal, would you even care? I don't think so.
I wouldn't...because peep this, if you knew how to think real hard, it is only beneficial to our image for a temporary time only. I don't see those beauty pagaent winners building a country! Thats the problem with so many Filipinos today, all shobiz and glamor it becomes A-PATHETIC.  But when it comes to questioning that glitz and glamor shiet, people like you who take it as a piece of real pride, freeze on the spot. I'll be proud when an entrepreneur sets up in the Phil. and becomes successful enought to make jobs for the people back home, now thats somthing to be trully proud about. Fukk the beauty pagaent to bring national pride, today it's economics that bring prominence to nations. Money talks bullshiet walks, which one are you? icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_lame.gif

^You are the biggest idiot EMERALDRAGON7. You said: "I don't see those beauty pagaent winners building a country! Thats the problem with so many Filipinos today, all shobiz and glamor it becomes A-PATHETIC.".

You expect beauty pageant winners to build a country? Are you stupid? A beauty pageant is mostly for entertainment, socialization and building close ties with other countries... similar to joining the Olympics. And why? Do you also believe that Olympic winners should build a country too? You fu-king imbecile!

You piece of ordure went on to say: "But when it comes to questioning that glitz and glamor shiet, people like you who take it as a piece of real pride, freeze on the spot."

There is real pride in winning a beauty pageant, my golly what's wrong with being proud when our candidate won the Miss International title?

You retard went on to say: "I'll be proud when an entrepreneur sets up in the Phil. and becomes successful enought to make jobs for the people back home, now thats somthing to be trully proud about."

What? Aren't we talking about beauty pageant here? fu-k you - you are off-topic you stupid mother-fu-king @$$hole son of a b!tch.

You pea-brain said: "Fukk the beauty pagaent to bring national pride, today it's economics that bring prominence to nations. Money talks bullshiet walks, which one are you?"

Why? You wanna abolish all the beauty pageants because all you get out of them is a non-real pride? fu-k you again, beauty pageants have their own purpose and I don't think bolstering the economy is one of them. But you, you low-life worm, thinks that beauty pageants are supposed to bring economic growth and rake more money to beaf-up the Philippine economy - WHAAATTTT? I'm so fu-king amused by your idiotic remarks... I am laughing, rolling on the floor.
baolao18
miss phillipines and miss thailand are always beautiful
Cristiano_Ronaldo
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 28 2005, 02:36 AM)
QUOTE (Cristiano_Ronaldo @ Sep 27 2005, 11:36 PM)

I wouldn't...because peep this, if you knew how to think real hard, it is only beneficial to our image for a temporary time only. I don't see those beauty pagaent winners building a country! Thats the problem with so many Filipinos today, all shobiz and glamor it becomes A-PATHETIC. But when it comes to questioning that glitz and glamor shiet, people like you who take it as a piece of real pride, freeze on the spot. I'll be proud when an entrepreneur sets up in the Phil. and becomes successful enought to make jobs for the people back home, now thats somthing to be trully proud about. Fukk the beauty pagaent to bring national pride, today it's economics that bring prominence to nations. Money talks bullshiet walks, which one are you? icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lame.gif

Yeah, very well said JML cause this fu-king paradigm of ignorance is the one talking so much bull$h!t. What's so fatuous about your ENTIRE bull$h!t of a paragraph is the FACT that you relentlessly speak as if these pageant winners are some sort of dieties who can ease the suffering that our country is undergoing? I have never seen a half-wit who have compared a pageant to a country's condition icon_rolleyes.gif Why do you think we have pageants? It was created for entertainment and for these individuals to display pride in representing their respectable countries. Please enunciate why you bring up our country's situation when this is merely entertainment news. What you're saying sounds so unrealistic and you strayed WAY OFF topic. If you don't feel that this is nothing for Filipinos to be proud of, then just say nothing at all because you seem so conspicuously stupid. It's these kind of things that can actually consolidate our spirits when all is gloomy. Please don't bring up economy and pageants EVER AGAIN.

WTF.gif poster_spam.gif
TakTAk-Boy
its just a beuty pageant nothing more it neither helps nor hinder the Philippines as a country. hump.gif
filipinoy
^wats up wid da "hump smilie"?
TakTAk-Boy
QUOTE (filipinoy @ Sep 29 2005, 01:15 AM)
^wats up wid da "hump smilie"?

cuz it matches my avatar. cool30.gif
filipinoy
ohhh, i tot it was 4 da beauty pageants u mentioned... hump.gif
TakTAk-Boy
i'm too much of a gentlemen to do that. jb.gif
sarutobi
^ LoL!

you can say dat again

a total idiot! isa't kalahating ungas! haha

CODE
stupid
stupid adj. 1 dull, not intelligent: tanga, gunggong, hangal, estupido, gago/a, ungas 2 not interesting, ab- surd, unreasonable: walang kuwenta, walang saysay, nakababagot
JMAC
QUOTE (Cristiano_Ronaldo @ Sep 27 2005, 11:50 PM)

while both of you have very good points...we really dont need anymore crab mentality thats been plaguing our society...
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (JMAC @ Sep 29 2005, 09:30 AM)

while both of you have very good points...we really dont need anymore crab mentality thats been plaguing our society...

JMAC, you're one helluva nice guy (so far) but I beg to disagree when you said "while both of you have very good points..." - referring to both Cristiano Ronaldo and EMERALDRAGON7. While Cristiano only tried to "smack" the idiot EMERALD,... the latter - is an idiot when he/she tried to correlate a simple beauty pageant with helping in the philippine starvation problem. EMERALDRAGON7 said: "Whooptie doo...another pagaent winner, too bad her winning it still doesn't help the starving, poor Filipino back home." - and by saying that he has promoted himself to be the biggest idiot I've ever seen.
RL33
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 27 2005, 07:46 PM)

I used to be like you...but really the more you think about it the angrier you will get.

I say if you feel that bad why dont you go home and help out the masa huh?
Ek-ek
biggthumpup.gif Here Are some trivias about Miss International winners:

Meanwhile, let’s allow Lara savor her victory as the new Miss International. Miss International Honor Roll

1960: Maria Stella Marquez Zawadzky – Colombia

1961: Stam (Stanny) Van Baer – Holland

1962: Tania Verstak – Australia

1963: Gudrun Bjarnadottir – Iceland

1964: Gemma Teresa Guerrero Cruz – Philippines

1965: Ingrid Finger – Germany

1966: NO PAGEANT

1967: Mirta Teresita Massa – Argentina

1968: Maria da Gloria Carvalho – Brazil

1969: Valerie Susan Holmes – England

1970: Aurora McKenny Pijuan – Philippines

1971: Jane Cheryl Hansen – New Zealand

1972: Linda Hooks – England

1973: Tuula Anneli Bjorkling – Finland

1974: Karen Brucene Smith – USA

1975: Ladija Vera Manic – Yugoslavia

1976: Sophie Sonia Perin – France

1977: Pilar Medina Canadell – Spain

1978: Katherine Patricia Ruth – USA

1979: Mimilanie Laurel Marquez – Philippines

1980: Lorna Marlene Chavez – Costa Rica

1981: Jenny Annette Derek – Australia

1982: Christie Ellen Claridge – USA

1983: Gidget Sandoval – Costa Rica

1984: Ilma Julieta Urrutia Chang – Guatemala

1985: Alejandrina "Nina" Sicilia Hernandez – Venezuela

1986: Helen Fairbrother – England

1987: Laurie Tamara Simpson – Puerto Rico

1988: Catherine Alexandra Gude – Norway

1989: Iris Klein – Germany

1990: Silvia de Esteban Niubo – Spain

1991: Agnieszka Kotlarska – Poland

1992: Kirsten Marise Davidson – Australia

1993: Agnieszka Pachalko – Poland

1994: Christina Lekka – Greece

1995: Anne Lena Hansen – Norway

1996: Fernanda Alves – Portugal

1997: Consuelo Adler Hernández – Venezuela

1998: Lía Victoria Borrero González – Panama

1999: Paulina Margarita Gálvez Pineda – Colombia

2000: Vivian Inés Urdaneta Rincón – Venezuela

2001: Magorzata Rozniecka – Poland

2002: Christina Sawaya – Lebanon

2003: Goizeder Victoria Azúa Barríos – Venezuela

2004: Jeimi (Yeymmy) Paola Vargas Gómez – Colombia

2005: Precious Lara Quigaman - Philippines

biggthumpup.gif Philippine representative to Miss International pageant and How do they fare:
1960 Edita Resureccion Vital – semi-finalist
• 1961 Pilar Arciaga
• 1962 Cynthia Lucero Ugalde – fourth runner-up in the Photogenic Division
• 1963 Monina Medenilla Yllana – semi-finalist
• 1964 Gemma Teresa Guerrero Cruz – Winner
• 1965 Isabelle Barnett Santos
• 1966 no pageant
• 1967 Margarita Lebumfacil Romualdez
• 1968 Nenita Tuazon Ramos – semi-finalist
• 1969 Margaret Rose Orbe Montinola – semi-finalist
• 1970 Aurora McKenny Pijuan – Winner
• 1971 Evelyn Santos Camus – second runner-up
• 1972 Yolanda Adriatico Dominguez – second runner-up, Best in National Costume
• 1973 Mari Elena Suarez Ojeda – fourth runner-up
• 1974 Erlynne Reyes Bernardez
• 1975 Jaye Antonio Murphy – semi-finalist
• 1976 Maria Dolores Suarez Ascalon – semi-finalist, Best in National Costume
• 1977 Ma. Cristina Valentina dela Rosa Alberto – withdrew
• 1978 Luz dela Cruz Policarpio
• 1979 Mimilanie Laurel Marquez – Winner, Best in National Costume, Miss Kumamoto , Miss Elegance
• 1980 Diana Jeanne Christina Alegarme Chiong
• 1981 Alice Veronica Fernandez Sacasas – semi-finalist
• 1982 Ma. Lisa Adela Gingerich Manibog
• 1983 Flor Eden Guano Pastrana
• 1984 Ma. Bella dela Peña Nachor
• 1985 Sabrina Simonette Marie Roig Artadi
• 1986 Jessie Alice Salones Dixson – semi-finalist
• 1987 Ma. Lourdes Dizon Enriquez
• 1988 Ma. Anthea Oreta Robles
• 1989 Lilia Eloisa Marfori Andanar -Miss Friendship
• 1990 Jennifer Perez Pingree
• 1991 Ma. Patricia Guzman Betita – semi-finalist
• 1992 Joanne Timotea Babiera Alivio
• 1993 Shiela May Capili Santarin
• 1994 Alma Carvajal Concepcion – semi-finalist, Miss Friendship
• 1995 Gladys Andre Dinsay Duenas – semi-finalist
• 1996 Yedda Marie Mendoza Kittilsvedt – semi-finalist
• 1997 Susan Jane Juan Ritter – semi-finalist
• 1998 Colette Centeno Glazer – semi -finalist
• 1999 Georgina Anne dela Paz Sandico
• 2000 Joanna Maria Mijares Peñaloza
• 2001 Maricarl Canlas Tolosa
• 2002 Kristin Reyes Alzar
• 2003 Jhezarie Gamez Javier
• 2004 Margaret Ann Awitan Bayot
• 2005 Precious Lara Quigaman - Winner
poknat
beerchug.gif biggthumpup.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Congratulations to Precious Lara Quigaman !

biggthumpup.gif Maan Bayot- 2004 is also one of the semifinalist in Miss International

biggrin.gif The country's former international beauty pageant titlists are heaping praises on newly crowned Miss International Precious Lara Quigaman.

"She's elegant, intelligent and focused. I'm so happy for her and for the country," Ruffa Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez, the 1993 Miss World Second Princess, said she plans of inviting Quigaman to appear on her very own Fashion TV Turkey. The 10-year-old station dedicated to fashion in Turkey was recently purchased by Gutierrez's Turkish husband Yilmas Bektas and he named her as its new president

"I wanna bring [Quigaman] there. She can do a lot on Fashion TV along with other Filipino designers I want to invite. I want to see her before I leave," she said.

Gutierrez arrived early this month in Manila from Istanbul for a month-long visit.

Gemma Cruz-Araneta, the first Filipina to win the Miss International title, meanwhile, said she sees herself in 22-year-old Quigaman.

Araneta said that her victory took place during the presidency of President Arroyo's father Diosdado and it was a time as highly political as the present.

"By coincidence, I won under the Macapagal administration. We had merienda in Malacañan and President Macapagal gave me a golden heart presidential medal and Gloria (Macapagal-Arroyo) helped him pin it on me," she said.

Quigaman's speech about her goal to raise funds for children won the judges' nods.

Araneta shares the same concern for the young ones.

"Congress passed a resolution exempting me from paying taxes because I donated my prize of $10,000 to Boys Town," she said.

When asked what advice she would give Quigaman, the once activist and former tourism secretary said that indeed, a beauty queen has a big social responsibility.

"First of all, show your love of country above anything else. And obey your mother," Araneta said.

Quigaman bested 52 other delegates for the prestigious international beauty title also previously won for the country by Aurora Pijuan and Melanie Marquez.

She is the daughter of Princesita Quigaman, a registered nurse in Bristol, United Kingdom and Nelson, who died in May in a car accident.

She graduated with a degree in Media Production and Communications at Filton College in Bristol. She also took a Bachelor of Arts in Childhood and Youth Studies at Bristol University.

- from ABS-CBN Interactive
JMAC
QUOTE (JuliusMariaLourdes @ Sep 29 2005, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (JMAC @ Sep 29 2005, 09:30 AM)

JMAC, you're one helluva nice guy (so far) but I beg to disagree when you said "while both of you have very good points..." - referring to both Cristiano Ronaldo and EMERALDRAGON7. While Cristiano only tried to "smack" the idiot EMERALD,... the latter - is an idiot when he/she tried to correlate a simple beauty pageant with helping in the philippine starvation problem. EMERALDRAGON7 said: "Whooptie doo...another pagaent winner, too bad her winning it still doesn't help the starving, poor Filipino back home." - and by saying that he has promoted himself to be the biggest idiot I've ever seen.

Look, I know the beauty pageant has nothing to do with it but seriously, poverty is very hard to ignore in the Philippines, its an issue to be put on priority.

But its not the best practice to bash other Filipino success so I agree with Christiano...crab mentality is all over..
Ek-ek
QUOTE (poknat @ Sep 30 2005, 06:47 AM)
beerchug.gif  biggthumpup.gif  embarassedlaugh.gif Congratulations to Precious Lara Quigaman !

biggthumpup.gif Maan Bayot- 2004 is also one of the semifinalist in Miss International

biggrin.gif The country's former international beauty pageant titlists are heaping praises on newly crowned Miss International Precious Lara Quigaman.

"She's elegant, intelligent and focused. I'm so happy for her and for the country," Ruffa Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez, the 1993 Miss World Second Princess, said she plans of inviting Quigaman to appear on her very own Fashion TV Turkey. The 10-year-old station dedicated to fashion in Turkey was recently purchased by Gutierrez's Turkish husband Yilmas Bektas and he named her as its new president

"I wanna bring [Quigaman] there. She can do a lot on Fashion TV along with other Filipino designers I want to invite. I want to see her before I leave," she said.

Gutierrez arrived early this month in Manila from Istanbul for a month-long visit.

Gemma Cruz-Araneta, the first Filipina to win the Miss International title, meanwhile, said she sees herself in 22-year-old Quigaman.

Araneta said that her victory took place during the presidency of President Arroyo's father Diosdado and it was a time as highly political as the present.

"By coincidence, I won under the Macapagal administration. We had merienda in Malacañan and President Macapagal gave me a golden heart presidential medal and Gloria (Macapagal-Arroyo) helped him pin it on me," she said.

Quigaman's speech about her goal to raise funds for children won the judges' nods.

Araneta shares the same concern for the young ones.

"Congress passed a resolution exempting me from paying taxes because I donated my prize of $10,000 to Boys Town," she said.

When asked what advice she would give Quigaman, the once activist and former tourism secretary said that indeed, a beauty queen has a big social responsibility.

"First of all, show your love of country above anything else. And obey your mother," Araneta said.

Quigaman bested 52 other delegates for the prestigious international beauty title also previously won for the country by Aurora Pijuan and Melanie Marquez.

She is the daughter of Princesita Quigaman, a registered nurse in Bristol, United Kingdom and Nelson, who died in May in a car accident.

She graduated with a degree in Media Production and Communications at Filton College in Bristol. She also took a Bachelor of Arts in Childhood and Youth Studies at Bristol University.

- from ABS-CBN Interactive

Talktohand.gif Thanks for the corrections!
I think winning the pageant may not totally or even fully eradicate poverty in the Philippines but it could help give some attention to the plight of the people like street children , in the article above: When Gemma Cruz won the 1964 Miss International she donated $10,000 to the Boys Town a place where indigent and out of school youth are housed (That was way back in 1964)

biggrin.gif Precious Lara Quigaman even said in an interview she was not able to hold that much money and attention. She plans to donate 10% of her prize to the church and some charity institutions, aside from planning to organize a foundation to help the street children not only in Japan but also the Philippines.
She is a rich girl but somehow by winning the Miss International pageant , her life had somehow changed.

beerchug.gif What is important is people who gives the country the honor whether men or women alike. It is like winning an Olympic gold !
mofo
i've always wanted to marry a beauty queen
JuliusMariaLourdes
QUOTE (Ek-ek @ Sep 29 2005, 06:30 PM)
Talktohand.gif  Thanks for the corrections!
I think winning the pageant may not totally or even fully eradicate poverty in the Philippines but it could help give some attention to the plight of the people like street children , in the article above: When Gemma Cruz won the 1964 Miss International she donated $10,000 to the Boys Town a place where indigent and out of school youth are housed (That was way back in 1964)

biggrin.gif Precious Lara Quigaman even said in an interview she was not able to hold that much money and attention. She plans to donate 10% of her prize to the church and some charity institutions, aside from planning to organize a foundation to help the street children not only in Japan  but also the Philippines.
She is a rich girl but somehow by winning the Miss International pageant , her life had somehow changed.

beerchug.gif What is important is people who gives the country the honor whether men or women alike. It is like winning an Olympic gold !

Yep... but that turd EMERALDRAGON7 insisted that winning a beauty pageant should solve national hunger. What can we do? L O L. embarassedlaugh.gif2
time360
T-R-O-L-L sure.gif
filipinoy
QUOTE (time360 @ Sep 30 2005, 01:03 AM)
especially the wannabe faggot Brazilian Cristiano Estupido.

No, he said he's a
FOB

:Fresh Off Brazil....lol
Ek-ek
biggthumpup.gif Here are some facts from Miss International:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Maria Stella Araneta Márquez, born Maria Stella Márquez Zawadzky and now simply known as Madame Stella Araneta, is a national pageant director and former international beauty queen.

Araneta was Miss Colombia in 1959 and was therefore able to compete in the first Miss International beauty pageant held in Long Beach, California, USA. She won that competition by half a point, becoming the very first Miss International, and the first Latina Miss International.

She later married a Filipino man, and now is an organizer the most prestigious beauty pageant in the Philippines, Binibining Pilipinas (Miss Philippines), which sends its winners to Miss Universe, Miss World, and Miss International.

August 11, 1960

On the final night of preliminary judging, Miss Greece through Miss Paraguay competed in evening gown; Miss Peru through Miss Venezuela competed in playsuit; and Miss Argentina through Miss Germany competed in national costume and speech. The divisional winners? Miss Norway, Lise Hammer, recovering from an infected foot, won the evening gown division. Miss U.S.A., Charlene Lundberg won the playsuit division; and Miss Ceylon, Yvonne Eileen Gunawardene, won the national costume and speech division.

One final preliminary award was given out this day, as well. It was the Miss Friendship Award, won by Miss British Guiana, Julia Ann Adamson.

After all these awards, and an entertaining “divertissement,” emcee Byron Palmer announced the 15 semifinalists, based on their total points received in each round of preliminary competition.

The semifinalists were, in alphabetical order by country:

AUSTRIA - Elizabeth Hodacs
COLOMBIA - Maria Stella Márquez Zawadzky
ENGLAND - Joyce Kay
GERMANY - Helga Kirsch
ICELAND - Sigridur Geirsdottir
INDIA - Iona Pinto
ISRAEL - Lili Dajani
ITALY - Maria Grazia Jacomelli
JAPAN - Michiko Takagi
PARAGUAY - Gretel Hedger Carvallo
PHILIPPINES - Edita Resurreccion Vital
POLAND - Marzena Malinowska
SINGAPORE - Christl D’Cruz
U.S.A. - Charlene Lundberg
VENEZUELA - Gladys (Laly) Ascanio Arredondo
By Half A Point

The final 5 stood on stage, in their evening gowns again, as the judges made their final marks and the auditors tallied the scores. The women were kept on stage ten minutes longer than planned for the judges to finish their deliberations. And the final results were:

4th runner-up - U.S.A, Charlene Lundberg
3rd runner-up - ENGLAND, Joyce Kay
2nd runner-up - ICELAND, Sigridur Geirsdottir
1st runner-up - INDIA, Iona Pinto
Miss International Beauty of 1961 - COLOMBIA, Maria Stella Márquez Zawadzky
Emcee Byron Palmer crowned the first Miss International and she took her victory walk, pausing to nod to and thank the judges.

The Los Angeles Times, in their front-page Saturday story, noted how cool, calm, and collected the final 5 were as the results were announced. The paper hinted that the results had leaked out from backstage. The Times declared the final moments of the contest as "probably the most unemotional climax of any of the Long Beach beauty pageants." (referring to the previous 8 Miss Universe Pageants that Long Beach hosted).

And what about the extra ten minutes the final 5 had to stand on stage? The Times reported that Miss Colombia won by a half a point over Miss India. Miss India, Iona Pinto, confirmed this fact in the book PRIDE OF INDIA by Persis Khambatta, and explained how she happened to loose the half a point.

In the book, which pays tribute to former Miss Indias, Miss Pinto says that after the contest, the top 5 were introduced to the judges. The Dean of the Judges, Vincent Trotta, told Miss Pinto, “Miss India, I hope you keep smiling...because you stopped smiling you lost half a point to Miss Colombia.” Miss Pinto goes on to say that during the ten minutes extra they stood on stage for the final voting, the judges waited for one of them to do something wrong. And she, Miss India, stopped smiling.

Top 5 at Miss International 1960.
From left to right: 3rd runner-up, Miss England, Joyce Kay; 1st runner-up, Miss India, Iona Pinto; Miss International Beauty of 1961, Miss Colombia, Stella Marquez; 2nd runner-up, Miss Iceland, Sigridur Geirsdottir; and 4th runner-up, Miss U.S.A., Charlene Lundberg.

“The Finale of A Happy Dream”
"The finale of a happy dream" - this is what the first Miss International had to say about her victory. Newspaper reports described her as “striking...dazzling” and with a “fascinating figure and flashing smile.” A language and psychology student at Marymount College in New York, the new Miss International had also attended the University of California at Los Angeles. In a press conference after her victory, she declared that she was the “ugly duckling” of the family and that her two younger sisters were prettier than she was.

On Saturday, the day after Miss Colombia’s victory, the contestants spent the day saying farewell to the community of Long Beach. One of these farewells was a “Wedding of the Waters,” in which 14 contestants from coastal cities poured waters from their countries into the Long Beach Harbor. That evening, 1,000 people - each and everyone in formal attire - attended the gala coronation ball at the Lafayette Hotel. White-uniformed naval officers with crew cuts escorted the 52 pageant delegates.

For winning the crown of Miss International Beauty of 1961, Miss Colombia collected a $10,000 cash prize. Miss India, the first runner-up collected $4,000; Miss Iceland, the second runner-up, was awarded $2,500; Miss England, third runner-up, received $2,500; and Miss U.S.A., fourth runner-up, $1,000. All of the 15 semifinalists received $200 cash and all 52 received $100. It is important to note that these cash awards were provided by the City and Port of Long Beach, not by commercial, corporate sponsors.

Miss International 1960
EMERALDRAGON7
QUOTE (RL33 @ Sep 29 2005, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (EMERALDRAGON7 @ Sep 27 2005, 07:46 PM)

I used to be like you...but really the more you think about it the angrier you will get.

I say if you feel that bad why dont you go home and help out the masa huh?

Thats what I'm planning to do this month. I'm going back to the Phil. to help out an orphanage organize with new books. It's a step. I use my anger in two ways, challenge and use it contructively for the kids back home, because they are Philippines future. Not the damn adults who should know better. biggthumpup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.