Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where were you born? Where did you move to?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Chinese Chat > Chinese Serious Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
WarEngineer
I'm just really curious of all the chinese people in here.
I see that most of you speak fluent english, writing at least. Yet, you are all chinese. This means that lots of you probably dont live in mainland China.

You must have gotten your education somewhere else, thus making me to think that most of you have moved to a different country or was born in a different country.

So, the point here is for you to tell us where you were born, what's your chinese background like. Where you live, and how you learned english so well.

For a starter, i'm gonna tell my story.

So, I was born in ShenYang, China. I lived there for 12 years, both my parents worked in an university. So, they were interested in seeking higher education abroad.
So, I ended up moving to Lund, Sweden when I was 12. I learned to speak swedish and lived there for 2 years.
After that, I moved to Massachusetts in the States. Lived there for a year, and learned to speak English better.
After that, I moved to Toronto, Canada. I lived here for almost 4 years now. I am now studying at the University of Toronto.

now that's my story in a nutshell.

so, all of you who have an interesting life story, please share!
white_lotus27
^ i c that ur english is fluent also. same thing with everyone here. beerchug.gif
chilli21
many of us here are overseas. born in HK but came to Aus around 10 years ago. i was still a small kid and knew not much of english back then.
white_lotus27
i know english when i was 1. embarassedlaugh.gif
chilli21
QUOTE (white_lotus27 @ Feb 26 2006, 08:54 AM)
i know english when i was 1. embarassedlaugh.gif

you were born in the US?
white_lotus27
^ yup.

I was lucky enough to born in the US. Cuz my parents just came here 1 year before I was born. beerchug.gif
Actually, it's 5 months before I was born. icon_smile.gif
Magic Night
I was born in HK, then moved to Toronto, while summer comes I go back to HK to visit my family and relatives, after I travel back to Toronto.
scarecrow!
My parents moved to Los Angeles, CA from Hong Kong about three years before I was born for business opportunities.
We moved to Austin, Texas about a year later, also for business opportunities.

I've been back to Hong Kong about six times since then, and I've been going back every summer for 2 months since I was 14.
phoenix0115
Born in Taiwan, came to America when I was 3...learned my Chinese by watching Chinese soap operas/dramas...so when I speak...people can't tell where I'm from...I used to have a really heavy Mainland accent after watching Huan Zhu Ge Ge too many times...LoL...nah other series also...and ever since I've went back to Taiwan for vacation 2 or 3 times, my accent's not that mainland anymore...but I can still do it if I want to...
**J.I.S**
Born in Taipei,lived till 16 yrs,moved to LA,been here since.

I do know a little bit of English before I moved to US though, cause I used to travel to Europe and US every summer to visit relatives.
But still the first two years in US my English pretty much just sucked......its not until college that I can finally say I'm bilingual. icon_smile.gif
Chinese DesertFox
I was born in Xi'An, China. My parents, my sister, and I moved to the U.S. in the summer of 1989 (Right smack in the middle of Tiananmen).

We arrived on the east coast first, and settled in Storry, a small town in rural Connecticut. We then moved to Californian bay area in 1992, and I pretty much grew up in the White American suburbs.
C.Chen
QUOTE (WarEngineer @ Feb 24 2006, 07:15 PM)
So, I was born in ShenYang, China. I lived there for 12 years, both my parents worked in an university. So, they were interested in seeking higher education abroad.
So, I ended up moving to Lund, Sweden when I was 12. I learned to speak swedish and lived there for 2 years.
After that, I moved to Massachusetts in the States. Lived there for a year, and learned to speak English better.
After that, I moved to Toronto, Canada. I lived here for almost 4 years now. I am now studying at the University of Toronto.

now that's my story in a nutshell.

so, all of you who have an interesting life story, please share!

Sweden is a very nice country. I lived there for three years.

Anyway, I was born in Wuhan, China. I moved to Svalof(a town really close to Lund), Sweden when I was three and lived there for three years.

I subsequently moved back to China, where I developed my Chinese language skills and after about two years or so, I moved to Canada. I have currently resided in Saskatoon, SK for eight years. I'm 16.
Suijen
ABC.
Lee! OTL ...
CBC.
X_Dragon
CCC
Canto Chinese Canadian! beat that...hahaha

parents from HK

i was born in Bellville Canada, moved to Whitby when i was 1.. lived in Markham for 2 years.. went to HK for a year.. now back in WHITEby

lol i doubt anyone here know the places i just mentioned..
Suijen
QUOTE (X_Dragon @ Feb 25 2006, 05:13 PM)
CCC
parents from HK

i was born in canada

Most Chinese overseas are Cantonese.
n4ce12
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 25 2006, 06:49 PM)
ABC.

your knowledge of china is amazing

i was born in China, moved to Canada when I was 9-10
Hawaii
QUOTE (X_Dragon @ Feb 25 2006, 06:13 PM)
CCC
parents from HK

i was born in Bellville Canada, moved to Whitby when i was 1.. lived in Markham for 2 years.. went to HK for a year.. now back in WHITEby

lol i doubt anyone here know the places i just mentioned..

HBC and my dog is ABCD. Beat that! biggrin.gif
Ling7
My story's pretty boring compared to everyone else's here...

My grandparents were born in Guangzhou and when they were children, they left China for Vietnam in search for a better life. Hence, my parents were born in Vietnam and they can speak Vietnamese, Cantonese and Mandarin.
They left Vietnam because of the war and went to Australia, in one of those old boats. My mum described how scary it all was - sharks and stuff.
And well, that's it. I was born in Australia as were all my cousins. beerchug.gif
BigBenChow
I was born in HK.
Studied Graphic Design, majored in Advertising and Corporate Design.
Found a job at a design firm.
Working to make my first million...

The end...

QUOTE (**J.I.S** @ Feb 25 2006, 07:26 PM)
Born in Taipei,lived till 16 yrs,moved to LA,been here since.

I do know a little bit of English before I moved to US though, cause I used to travel to Europe and US every summer to visit relatives.
But still the first two years in US my English pretty much just sucked......its not until college that I can finally say I'm bilingual. icon_smile.gif

Nice..LA.
I was there for a business trip and almost went broke on Crome Hearts stuff. Nice.
white_lotus27
QUOTE (Ling7 @ Feb 25 2006, 07:51 PM)
My grandparents were born in Guangzhou.

Same with me, plus my parents and ancestors. biggrin.gif
LaoShare
Born in HK, at 5 moved to Indonesia, at 17 went to Australia. 30plus years ago settled in Vancouver Canada.
I have a beautiful wife; we have a girl and a boy, both are still in university.
WarEngineer
QUOTE (LaoShare @ Feb 26 2006, 02:12 AM)
Born in HK, at 5 moved to Indonesia, at 17 went to Australia. 30plus years ago settled in Vancouver Canada.
I have a beautiful wife; we have a girl and a boy, both are still in university.

wow LaoShare, you must be in your 50s? 60s?

biggthumpup.gif
**J.I.S**
^LaoShare is probably the eldest chinese member here.

QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 25 2006, 06:49 PM)
ABC.

Suijen you sure know alot about China for an ABC.
You're the only leftist ABC I know too embarassedlaugh.gif
white_lotus27
QUOTE (**J.I.S** @ Feb 26 2006, 02:52 PM)

i thought Suijen was an ABA (American born-American) embarassedlaugh.gif
Suijen
QUOTE (**J.I.S** @ Feb 26 2006, 02:52 PM)

My parents are from Fusan, Guangdong.

My Dad was a Redguard Captain. He has a poster of Mao in his office.

Ironically, he didn't really like Mao or the CCP when he was in China. It wasn't until after he came to the US did he really start to admire the Reds.

Most Chinese are not leftists because they come from HK.
**J.I.S**
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 26 2006, 04:55 PM)

My Dad was a Redguard Captain.  He has a poster of Mao in his office.

Ironically, he didn't really like Mao or the CCP when he was in China.  It wasn't until after he came to the US did he really start to admire the Reds. 

I know,that's why I say you're the only one I know. embarassedlaugh.gif
so you're cantonese icon_smile.gif
Adee
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 26 2006, 04:55 PM)
My parents are from Fusan, Guangdong

Ironically, he didn't really like Mao or the CCP when he was in China.  It wasn't until after he came to the US did he really start to admire the Reds. 

Am I right to say that's where Wong Fei Hung used to live?

Myself I was born in the UK but my parents came from Hong Kong.
Suijen
^ 100% Right. My grandma lives 5 houses away from the Wong Fei Hung museum.
vtecKiller
born in china, moved to canada and lived there for about 6month
moved to sydney, lived there for 3 years
now in L.A. for lil over 1 year
almost 17
do ur own calculation for when i moved where
cuz i forgot :P
Zezei
my parents are rich
white_lotus27
QUOTE (**J.I.S** @ Feb 26 2006, 02:57 PM)
I know,that's why I say you're the only one I know. embarassedlaugh.gif
so you're cantonese icon_smile.gif

that's a miracle to hear! eek.gif
SUIJEN IS CANTONESE!!!! yahoo.gif
Suijen
I must have mentioned it several times by now.
Adee
^He said it loadsa times.
QUOTE (Zezei @ Feb 26 2006, 07:01 PM)
my parents are rich

Hah we know. You spoilt brat. biggrin.gif
white_lotus27
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 26 2006, 05:04 PM)
I must have mentioned it several times by now.

haha... first time ever hearing it straight from you.
or seeing the words from you. biggrin.gif
Jasel
I thought LaoShare was 15 or 16 embarassedlaugh.gif
Ling7
QUOTE (white_lotus27 @ Feb 26 2006, 02:16 PM)
Same with me, plus my parents and ancestors. biggrin.gif

That's cool! beerchug.gif Will you be going back there? I hope to visit my grandmother's birthplace - Panyu to be exact, and check it out. biggrin.gif
LOVEWHIZ
hardknock streets of Shanghai.
shashoujian
Beijing.
WarEngineer
QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 26 2006, 05:55 PM)

lol, i thought you were some hardcore nationalistic mainlander in beijing or something. I thought so cuz your sig pic. It's so hilarious, PLA at the presidential suite. May I ask how old you are?

I'm surprised, lots of you who are born elsewhere do have a strong feeling about china. That makes me want to bawling.gif hahah just joking. embarassedlaugh.gif2

biggthumpup.gif

QUOTE (Zezei @ Feb 26 2006, 08:01 PM)
my parents are rich

i'm poor, wanna spare me some food? cash will do...a house would be nice too, possibly with a pool and 2 jags/beamer/merc/lambo in the garage.
ChanDaMan
I was born in Hong Kong, but my parents moved to Los Angeles when I was only a few months old.
LaoShare
QUOTE (WarEngineer @ Feb 26 2006, 09:02 PM)
I'm surprised, lots of you who are born elsewhere do have a strong feeling about china. That makes me want to  bawling.gif  hahah just joking.  embarassedlaugh.gifbiggthumpup.gif

很受感动?
cabbit
Beijing > US East Coast > US South.
Suijen
QUOTE (WarEngineer @ Feb 26 2006, 09:02 PM)
May I ask how old you are?

I'm surprised, lots of you who are born elsewhere do have a strong feeling about china. That makes me want to  bawling.gif  hahah just joking.  embarassedlaugh.gif2

Home is where the heart is at.
Ling7
I guess the fact that I have never set foot in China (nor is anything about China taught here) makes me try even harder to learn about the culture.
So, next step? Fly to Hong Kong next semester to study. biggrin.gif
WarEngineer
QUOTE (LaoShare @ Feb 27 2006, 12:51 PM)
很受感动?

definitely. It's a good thing that lots chinese people are still attached to China unlike lots of japanese and koreans have become bananas.

QUOTE (Suijen @ Feb 27 2006, 02:12 PM)

Home is where the heart is at.

that's sweet, i'm 18, almost 19. didnt know we are the same age.
funny, we have many things in common.
Suijen
^ The nationalism of the last century has made all Chinese of reasonably one mentality. We all want the best for China. What we define as the best varies from person to person, but our goals are still the same.
WarEngineer
we've all been humiliated by our history and our weaknesses. Only way to overcome it is not to hide it by changing myself pretending to be something else, but to make a difference by representing your people as a strong nation with strong people.
I know one thing for sure.
My chinese face represent all the chinese faces in this world, and i'm gonna bear my chinese face with pride and let everyone know about it.

lol....when did i become so patriotic. biggrin.gif
mIcKy MoUsE
I was born in Lansing, Michigan, USA. When I was two months old, my family moved back to Taipei, Taiwan, ROC and I grew up there until I was 14. My mother, my sister and I moved to San Diego, California and I attended high school there for four years. Now I'm studying in Wisconsin.
Suijen
^ All Chinese are patriotic, it just how patriotic which is relative. We still face a great peril, though this enemy is faceless, it still exists. The March of the Volunteers isn't outdated just yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.