Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pictures Of King Jayavaraman Vii
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
Menikani
Jayavarman VII was born around 1120 or 1125, son of King Dharanindravarman II (r. 1150 -1160) and queen Sri Jayarajacudamani. He married a very religious, strong-minded, and devote princess, Jayarajadevi.

angkorwat19
he was the last great angkorean king. after his death, the country just fell apart. do you have pictures of the queen? there are statues of her also. she was like a modern first lady.

He was one of the most forceful and productive kings of the Khmer Empire of Angkor. He expanded the empire to its greatest territorial extent and engaged in a building program that yielded numerous temple, highways, rest houses, and hospitals.

Though practically nothing is known of Jayavarman's childhood and youth, it is clear that during his late 30s and early 40s he settled in the neighboring kingdom of Champa, in what is now the central region of Vietnam.

When his father died, his brother or cousin - Yasovarman - appears to have claimed the throne, in which Jayavarman seems to renounce and to have gone on a voluntary exile to Champa. He left his wife and went to Champa alone.

In 1166 Tribhuvanadityavarman, a court official, usurped the throne of King Yasovarman. When Prince Jayavarman received word of a palace rebellion, he hastened to return to Cambodia - perhaps to support King Yasovarman II or to assert his own rights to the throne. But his was too late. When he arrived, Yasovarman was already dead and the usurper firmly seated on the throne. Jayavarman seemed unwilling to attempt to overthrow Tribhuvanadityavarman by force; instead he decided to remain in his homeland and to await an opportunity to assert his own claim to the throne.

Some 12 years later, when Jayavarman was in his late 50s, that opportunity came as a result of a Cham invasion in 1177, which brought about the demise of Tribhuvanadityavarman, the sacking of Angkor, and its subjection to foreign rule. In this situation Jayavarman organized a struggle for independence and in less than five years he succeeded in driving out the invaders and establishing his hegemony over all his Cambodian rivals.

Finally in 1181, at the age of 61, he was crowned a sole king of Khmer Empire and began a brilliant reign of more than 30 years, during which he brought the empire to its zenith, both in terms of territorial expansion and of royal architecture and construction.

Jayavarman VII was a warrior. The greatest military achievement of his reign - perhaps the greatest of the entire history of Cambodia - was the capture and sack of the capital of its rich and powerful neighbor, Champa, in 1190. His military activities also bringing southern Laos, portions of the Malay Peninsula and Burma under his control.

But increasingly he devoted his energies and organizational capacities to the kind of religious and religio-political construction projects that had been carried on by his royal predecessors. He built a large number of awesome new temples, including the Bayon, a distinctively Mahayana Buddhist central pyramid temple designed to serve as the primary locus of the royal cult and also as his own personal mausoleum; personal funerary temples of the Mahayana type, which were dedicated to his mother and father; and a series of provincial temples, which housed reduced replicas of the Royal Buddha. He rebuilt the city of Angkor Thom and rebuilt and extended the system of highways, which radiated outward from the Bayon and the royal palace and reached far into the provinces. In addition, he constructed 121 rest houses along these roads.

During his reign, the King built 102 hospitals, which he dispersed throughout his kingdom. Those hospitals were built in an attempt to improve conditions of the King's subject.

Jayavarman succeeded during his lifetime in creating a legacy that few monarchs in Khmer history have been able to equal. He was more than 90 years old when he died in around 1215.
Menikani
do you have pictures of the queen?

DaMo
Interesting. Do you have any more images of ancient Khmer royalty?
Menikani
QUOTE (DaMo @ Apr 26 2004, 01:10 AM)
Interesting. Do you have any more images of ancient Khmer royalty?

I only know of one more, not ancient though.

1688 Regent Queen Li of Samdach Brhat Bhagavathi Sri Parama Chakrapati Kshatriyi

Born as H.H. Princess (Brhat Anak Anga) Li, daughter of H.M. Brhat Bat Machas Brhat Dharmanath Prabhunatha Maha Upayuvaraja Parama Raja also known as Paramaraja VIII. First married her halfbrother King Pramaraja IX, who was killed in 1672, and secondly married to nephew, King Jaya Jatha III. She was granted the the rank of Queen with the title of Samdach Brhat Bhagavathi Sri Parama Chakrapati Kshatriyi in 1688, when she acted as regent for husband.
----------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure there are more images of ancient Khmer Kings.
starangels81
QUOTE (Menikani @ Apr 25 2004, 11:40 PM)
Jayavarman VII was born around 1120 or 1125, son of King Dharanindravarman II (r. 1150 -1160) and queen Sri Jayarajacudamani. He married a very religious, strong-minded, and devote princess, Jayarajadevi.

our king kinda look like Buddha (the one khmer people have in there house). I think Jayavaraman Vii is so handsome.
Menikani
I found a picture of King Suryavarman II(Suriyavaraman II) depicted with his Crown/War helmet sitting on the throne. Suryavarman II, son of Ksitindradity and Narendralakshmi, Khmer king renowned as a religious reformer and temple builder. Under his rule the temple of Angkor Wat, the world's largest religious structure, was constructed. Suryavarman II defeated rival claimants, Harshavarman III and Dharanindravarman I, to the throne and established sole rule over Cambodia, reuniting the country after more than 50 years of unrest. He was formally crowned in 1113, with his guru, the powerful priest Divakarapandita who was a Hindu Brahmin Chief Priest, presiding.

Jotmaimamoreaj
QUOTE (starangels81 @ Apr 29 2004, 09:30 PM)

our king kinda look like Buddha (the one khmer people have in there house). I think Jayavaraman Vii is so handsome.

Doesn't the khmer actor Kai braseth resemble King Jayarvarman?
starangels81
who is Kai Braseth? i don't remember the guy khmer name that much.
starangels81
QUOTE (Menikani @ Apr 29 2004, 09:41 PM)
I found a picture of King Suryavarman II(Suriyavaraman II) depicted with his Crown/War helmet sitting on the throne. Suryavarman II, son of Ksitindradity and Narendralakshmi, Khmer king renowned as a religious reformer and temple builder. Under his rule the temple of Angkor Wat, the world's largest religious structure, was constructed. Suryavarman II defeated rival claimants, Harshavarman III and Dharanindravarman I, to the throne and established sole rule over Cambodia, reuniting the country after more than 50 years of unrest. He was formally crowned in 1113, with his guru, the powerful priest Divakarapandita who was a Hindu Brahmin Chief Priest, presiding.

wow!!! Menikani where did you get those picture from? and how did you find it? Could you post up more khmer kings picture. thanks
Menikani
QUOTE (starangels81 @ Apr 29 2004, 10:38 PM)
wow!!! Menikani where did you get those picture from? and how did you find it? Could you post up more khmer kings picture. thanks

If I could find anymore pictures of Khmer Kings I'll post it. embarassedlaugh.gif
angkorwat19
menikani,
do you have photos of khmer inscriptions dating back during angkor era or pre-angkor era? i can only find sanskrit inscriptions but can't find any khmer inscriptions.
Menikani
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ Apr 30 2004, 01:25 AM)
do you have photos of khmer inscriptions dating back during angkor era or pre-angkor era?

I can't read Khmer so I would'nt know if it is in Sankirt or Khmer, maybe someone who could read Khmer could tell me if it is Khmer or Sanskirt. I was able to find these:

angkorwat19
i can't read khmer either embarassedlaugh.gif what a shame.. maybe dara knows this or kambolizhuz.
Menikani
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ Apr 30 2004, 01:37 AM)
i can't read khmer either embarassedlaugh.gif what a shame.. maybe dara knows this or kambolizhuz.

Wait I think those are Khmer script, look at how Sankrit looks like:

starangels81
those writing are very nice. wish i can transated for you, but can't.
angkorwat19
yea those are khmer inscriptions.
Menikani
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ Apr 30 2004, 09:27 PM)
menikani,
you sure that is sanskrit writing? sanskrit looks similar to khmer you know? that thing you posted up doesn't look like sanskrit. you got a link?

Actually it is Sanskrit, just search for "Sanskrit script" on google or Yahoo, and the script looks like that. Here is the Brahmi Script of India:

Here is link to Sanskrit Scripts:

http://www.ukindia.com/zip/zsan01.htm

I say that the Khmer script is unique to Khmer because it doesn't look like it's predecessor the Brahmi or Sanskirt scripts.
angkorwat19
those inscriptions you posted is khmer but my dad can't read it though because khmer script changed over time and my dad say it's pretty hard to try to read ancient khmer writing. sanskrit doesn't really look like khmer actually.

I say that the Khmer script is unique to Khmer because it doesn't look like it's predecessor the Brahmi or Sanskirt scripts.

true. khmer script descended from brahmi script but it doesn't look anything like khmer. khmer developed a script uniquely theirs.
Menikani
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ Apr 30 2004, 09:43 PM)
those inscriptions you posted is khmer but my dad can't read it though because khmer script changed over time and my dad say it's pretty hard to try to read ancient khmer writing. sanskrit doesn't really look like khmer actually.

No it dosen't since Khmer Script is the descendant of the Brahmi Script. Yes, I have read that Ancient Khmer script is wrote diffrently then current Khmer scripts, like the curnings etc. they seem more rounder.
Menikani
Someone on KC named Tpek made this.

Thay_
QUOTE (Menikani @ May 14 2004, 10:07 AM)

When is it going to come out?? Want to watch it! biggrin.gif
Menikani
QUOTE (Thay_ @ May 14 2004, 09:17 AM)

embarassedlaugh.gif I don't think that's a movie. It is just someone's artwork depicting a poster of a movie.
sailador
QUOTE (Menikani @ May 14 2004, 09:07 AM)

the dude in there kinda look like shaquille oneal..dont you guys think so?
starangels81
QUOTE (Menikani @ May 14 2004, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Thay_ @ May 14 2004, 09:17 AM)

embarassedlaugh.gif I don't think that's a movie. It is just someone's artwork depicting a poster of a movie.

well who ever made this poster, did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggthumpup.gif he should be an grapic/art design in making movie poster.............. biggrin.gif

Oh Man!!!!!! i thought it was a real movie..... hoping so see it. cry2.gif
Thay_
QUOTE (Menikani @ May 14 2004, 10:19 AM)

I got ditch!! biggrin.gif Nice graphic, look so real!!
starangels81
it could be real!!!!!!!! send it to DreamWork and let them take it from there. heheheheheheh j/k . i wish i can do that it would be great.
angkorwat19
that's a very nice poster that guy made. but instead of having angkor wat in the background, he should've had angkor thom(bayon faces) since jayavarman VII was the builder of it. is the guy on the poster khmer btw? he looks samoan or something.
dalawapo

wow that is a handsome bust of your king.
TheSoulTaker
Hi. I'm new and would like to say great pics.
dalawapo
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ May 14 2004, 12:37 PM)
that's a very nice poster that guy made. but instead of having angkor wat in the background, he should've had angkor thom(bayon faces) since jayavarman VII was the builder of it. is the guy on the poster khmer btw? he looks samoan or something.

AHAH that would be funny.... get a samoan or another pacific islander to play a khmer king!!!

its not like they never did it before... getting the rock to play the Egyptian scorpian king!! embarassedlaugh.gif
K2005

king Jayavarman VII look cool beerchug.gif
dalawapo
QUOTE (K2005 @ May 23 2004, 02:43 PM)

king Jayavarman VII look cool beerchug.gif

yeah he looks like he has a perfect face. beerchug.gif
angkorwat19
During his illustrious reign, King Jayavarman VII commissioned the construction of numerous hospitals, libraries, temples, rest houses, and reservoirs. He built bridges and paved roads within his empire that extended from Bangkok in present-day Thailand to Prey Nokor (Saigon) in present-day Vietnam. The Praptos bridge below was one such bridge that helped connect King Jayavarman's vast empire.

Spean Praptos constructed during the reign of Jayavarman VII (1181-1220)

Angkor Thom's gateway and road
TheSoulTaker
Awesome pics! Please display more pics.
RockHeart
The King Jayavarman was looked cool and had a strong face more than human been. But his knowledge was un-defeat the Princess's!!! How come????????? How is bout us, all Khmers in this generation???

RockHeart,

:genius:
angkorwat19
QUOTE (RockHeart @ May 25 2004, 07:53 AM)
The King Jayavarman was looked cool and had a strong face more than human been. But his knowledge was un-defeat the Princess's!!! How come????????? How is bout us, all Khmers in this generation???

RockHeart,

:genius:

i don't quite get what you mean there Rockheart. could you explain what you meant on your post?
dalawapo
^ wow that is true asian arcitecture! do cambodians traditionally work with stone or did they also frequently have structures of wood? if they did, are they no longer standing as the centuries pass? Japanese archieture use wood as a medium right? and since wood naturally detoriates and has a shorter life span then stone, the main way japanese presevere is to remember the process of building their temples right? so do the cambodians also prserve their old architecutural designs as well? or have they been modernized or replaced all together by new architectural forms etc.
Menikani
QUOTE (dalawapo @ May 25 2004, 09:58 PM)
^ wow that is true asian arcitecture! do cambodians traditionally work with stone or did they also frequently have structures of wood? if they did, are they no longer standing as the centuries pass? Japanese archieture use wood as a medium right? and since wood naturally detoriates and has a shorter life span then stone, the main way japanese presevere is to remember the process of building their temples right? so do the cambodians also prserve their old architecutural designs as well? or have they been modernized or replaced all together by new architectural forms etc.

Of course there were wood architectures. The ancient Khmers did not sleep inside the stone temples, unless you were a king(Who climbed up to sleep with a mythical snake, or so goes the story) or the keeper of the temples. The ancient Khmer architecture is similar to the rural Khmer architecture today. There were more elaborate designs, the roof similar to Khmer buddhist temples today. You can see some building designs on the Bayon temple.
Dara
Anyone know where that statue of him was found? I wonder where it was. icon_smile.gif

And about the script that Angkorwat posted, that is Khmer, but it's Old Khmer. I do recognize some letters. Though most of the letters look very different from modern Khmer and the vocabulary is also archaic. I wouldn't know what it means. Also there is no such thing as Sanskrit alphabet. Sanskrit is only a spoken language. The script that you see most often use to write down Sanskrit words is called Devanagari (meaning=Thep Nokor).
g0ldenchild
Vince
QUOTE (angkorwat19 @ May 25 2004, 02:38 AM)
During his illustrious reign, King Jayavarman VII commissioned the construction of numerous hospitals, libraries, temples, rest houses, and reservoirs. He built bridges and paved roads within his empire that extended from Bangkok in present-day Thailand to Prey Nokor (Saigon) in present-day Vietnam. The Praptos bridge below was one such bridge that helped connect King Jayavarman's vast empire.

All his works are amazing. Angkor Thom and other sites are just breathtaking. I was there 2 years ago and it was really some experience. After I came back I took a course in SE Asian Art History and learned a lot. But I wished I took it before I went there. It is much better when you understand the historical or art background of the things you see.

Anyway, wish to go back there someday. There are much more to learn icon_wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.