Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vietnam developing
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Vietnamese Chat
TrashCleaner
Just check the Chinese forum embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
Anyway, dont really care about that.

Vietnamese members, pls post picture of vietnam developing to see how our cities will look like in the future.
And dont make similar thread to this one. Well, you can copy some from skyscrapercity.com and whereever you like. Cheers biggthumpup.gif

china flatface
fjiodfjosfjosjf
TrashCleaner
For example, Hanoi is developing very quickly
IPB Image

IPB Image

Saigon is developing even quicker
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I think in terms of infrastructure, we will catch up with other ASEAN countries very soon, because there are so many development planned for the next 10-20 years. love2.gif love2.gif
china flatface
What city looks like China? Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?
TrashCleaner
Just ignore china flatface, guys.
xyz
QUOTE(china flatface @ Apr 18 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]1765285[/snapback]

What city looks like China? Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?

Beijing and Shanghai certainly look like China. lol.
china flatface
i like boys.
uRugly
^
stupid troll sure.gif
TrashCleaner
I like Vietnam to develop infrastructure in a more organised manner. For example, if you plant trees beside the road, then plant one type of tree only; if you build asian style houses, then build it all over one surburb. Not mixed up everything. Japan did this very well. Japan----love2.gif, love
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
StephenDedalusFromAsia
I agree. There needs to be consistency. Vietnamese cities need to lighten up on the colorful pastels as well.

My hopes is for Vietnam to

a) get their act together and start building architecture that looks like the renderings, not half-@$$ attempts

b) accurately and lovingly restore monumental sites in Hue, and around Vietnam

c) choose tasteful designs for new skyscrapers and buildings. Don't go though the same path China took with ugly, gaudy, obnoxious, colorful skyscapers. China is on the right path now, but Vietnam seems to be making the same mistake with that bixelo tower or whatever in SG.

d) less motorcycles and don't encourage more car usage. heavy rail is the way to go!
TrashCleaner
Both Saigon and Hanoi have just actually started to develop again during the last 10-15 years, the transformation is already amazing. I cant wait to see it in the next 20 years.

With regard to the design of buildings and infrastructure, it is always a difficult issue. If we get it right, then we dont have to redo it which will cost money. But if we try to go our way, then there might not be enough FDI for it.

- Road: if less cars and motobikes, then how can you mobilize the work force. Public transport just wont do it as good for now. And it cost big bucks to do it too. If we encourage people using cars, then pollution will be crazy. road is currently too narrow, it will be a disaster if we do so. Mopeds and buses are still the choice because they are cheaper for poor people and allow them to go to the city to work (so quickly increase rate of urbanisation, good or bad??? i dont know)

- Traditional architecture: French-inspired or Chinese-inspired??? traditional viet architecture is not really impressive due to our turbulent history (it is rather an adoptive version of Chinese architecture in my opinion, im vietnamese myself but i still think it is the case). We have to pick carefully. The easiest is to go with ultra-modern because it is the trends nowadays. However, we are in Asia, our culture is definitely East Asian, so we should we follow the east asian architecture.

- Building materials, geological conditions, climates: our country topography has a lot of limestone and clay. However, limestone + clay is only good for concrete and earth buildings. We need sandstone and marble if we really want impressive looking buildings like those in Western countries. Our climate is mostly sub-tropical, so many weeds and trees will grow out of control. It is very difficult to plant one type of tree like those in Korea or Japan. However, we have palm trees which is very abundant in the South. It is special but the trees themselves dont look good with houses; not much shade from them either. They should only be planted along the beach. The best looking tree for tropical climate is either eucalyptus or some pine trees like what is planted in Central Vietnam. For the north, climate is colder, we could plant alot of bamboos and some maples as well.

tutu2000
QUOTE(TrashCleaner @ Apr 18 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]1765332[/snapback]

I like Vietnam to develop infrastructure in a more organised manner. For example, if you plant trees beside the road, then plant one type of tree only; if you build asian style houses, then build it all over one surburb. Not mixed up everything. Japan did this very well. Japan----love2.gif, love
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The Japanese seem to have the best aesthetic taste. Everything is so simple, yet elegent and beautiful. They pay attention to the tiny details on everything. Unlike us, we have the similar elements or if they give us their stuff, our architects will find a way to find away to mess it up badly.
xyz
QUOTE(StephenDedalusFromAsia @ Apr 18 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]1765365[/snapback]

I agree. There needs to be consistency. Vietnamese cities need to lighten up on the colorful pastels as well.
My hopes is for Vietnam to

a) get their act together and start building architecture that looks like the renderings, not half-@$$ attempts

b) accurately and lovingly restore monumental sites in Hue, and around Vietnam

c) choose tasteful designs for new skyscrapers and buildings. Don't go though the same path China took with ugly, gaudy, obnoxious, colorful skyscapers. China is on the right path now, but Vietnam seems to be making the same mistake with that bixelo tower or whatever in SG.

d) less motorcycles and don't encourage more car usage. heavy rail is the way to go!

I agree. Vietnamese cities look kind of ugly with all the motorcycles running around in a not very orderly fashion. More buses and public transportation systems like electric trains, sub-ways... are needed as soon as Vietnam can afford them to improve Vietnam's image as a civilized, orderly, well-mannered society.

Buildings should be more uniform, well designed and regulated by city regulations and architecture experts, not on the personnal desire and self serving thought of :" well, I have the money. I can do whatever I like with my house. I don't care what others think." Vietnam should be more mature in cultivating a public image.
StephenDedalusFromAsia
QUOTE(TrashCleaner @ Apr 18 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]1765458[/snapback]

- Traditional architecture: French-inspired or Chinese-inspired??? traditional viet architecture is not really impressive due to our turbulent history (it is rather an adoptive version of Chinese architecture in my opinion, im vietnamese myself but i still think it is the case). We have to pick carefully. The easiest is to go with ultra-modern because it is the trends nowadays. However, we are in Asia, our culture is definitely East Asian, so we should we follow the east asian architecture.

Both. There are many French looking projects planned in Hanoi and stuff, but the execution of them looks clumsy and terrible.

Japanese architecture is austere, plain, lacking in detail yet still elegant and beautiful. Japan isn't afraid of having naked unpainted wood like Vietnam, unlike China and Korea.

The monuments of Hue are very impressive. I do really like some pics of temples i've seen online. Brown unpainted wood temples with those shingled roofs with tropical palm trees and plants everywhere. Very Vietnam.

StephenDedalusFromAsia
Some of this stuff kicks major @$$

http://gilkergu.club.fr/chua/thay/thay19.htm

http://gilkergu.club.fr/chua/thay/thay6.htm

If you have the right aesethetic philosophy, you don't need a fortune to create something beautiful. The setting, the plants, and buildings make this beautiful.

Same with the one pillar pagoda in Hanoi. But I can't stand how the pillar is made of concrete...
TrashCleaner
in Saigon
IPB Image

Thu Thiem area in Saigon (current in construction)
IPB Image

Saigon will look like this very soon, but i dont like it
IPB Image
supernovasp
^^ that's Dubai not Saigon. I wish saigon would look all modern like that haha, but goodness saigon's planning is such a mess.
TrashCleaner
I know, but i said it will look like that soon (20+ years). I hate that kinda city, no shade or open area.
TrashCleaner
Hanoi is also gearing up. (it has to because there is so limited office space in hanoi). I think all those big concrete chunks should be moved out of the main city area.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

only 20 years? according to that site super linked me before, it'll take us 195 years

the picture of that metropolis is basically on par with singapore, anyway.

No, you will be suprised if you look at picture of shangai just 20 years ago, even less developed than hcm city now.

All can be achieved with good planning and good flow of investment. A 20 storey house can take less than 2 years to be completed. 20+ is quite ok.
send2toonie
these photos are interesting, i've never been there but i hope to go real soon.
VOTAMVOTU
vietnam should improve its road first, then do something about people selling everything on the streets. then worry about all the buildings and $hit. oh yeah yall see all the streams in saigon. they all turned black, they need to cover that up or clean it up somehow
send2toonie
I was just wondering is there any famous/important/historic buildings in Vietnam?
StephenDedalusFromAsia
of course there are!!!

The royal palace and tombs in Hue, temples here and there, Cham ruins.
send2toonie
QUOTE(StephenDedalusFromAsia @ Apr 19 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]1767274[/snapback]

of course there are!!!
The royal palace and tombs in Hue, temples here and there, Cham ruins.

i was unsure cause the country's been war ridden for so long, don't know if any existed or maybe possibly destroyed. shrug.gif

well just shows how clueless i am about my own origins. *adding seeing all of that to things to do before i die.
MyManD
QUOTE(send2toonie @ Apr 19 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1767370[/snapback]

i was unsure cause the country's been war ridden for so long, don't know if any existed or maybe possibly destroyed. shrug.gif

well just shows how clueless i am about my own origins. *adding seeing all of that to things to do before i die.

Go and visit Ho Chi Minhs corpse. Its as if he's just taking a nap. I wanted to touch him but the armed guards with machine guns gave me menacing looks.
StephenDedalusFromAsia
QUOTE(send2toonie @ Apr 19 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1767370[/snapback]

To be honest, they don't look very impressive in pictures. Alot of them have been damaged because of the war.

If I travel to Vietnam, the main reason wouldn't be for the historical monuments. More like the people and the culture and food.
hoang_1989
...some pics I have taken last summer of the new site...Hanoi shouldn´t become like Shanghai...just a half and keep traditional looking and many green stuff...Hanoi and Saigon will rise fast like stars to the other big cities in asia beerchug.gif
So, do you guys think that we can catch up with cities like Manila or Jakarta soon?

a future skyline jsut for fun...
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Bergamot
In aspiring to be modern, I hope Vietnamese urban centres don't become too sterile eg Singapore, Dubai etc. Those cities just don't capture the imagination.

When I think of romatic (not in the lovey dovey sense but in the capturing of imagination sense of the word) cities, I think of cities with real character, with something cultural to offer, cities that are steeped in history and tradition.

In Australia, where I live, there exists townhouses in the inner city which used to be cheap accomodation for labourers early last century. These homes were for the working class, they were cramp and filthy. However, these homes in last few decades have been acquired by genteels and have been restored. I feel they really add character to those part of the city and connects us with the past.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we shouldn't be aspiring to be like new world cities. We should look to continental Europe, especially Italy, where they respect their cultural/artchitectural heritage.

Also, I know those tube homes of the noveau riche in VN seem tacky and Liberace -ish, but they reflect a period where Vietnam is becoming more affluent and experimenting with consumerism/lifestyle etc and I hope they don't all disappear.

StephenDedalusFromAsia
You can't build 17th century Italian architecture in 2006. That is not economically viable. It will cost the same amount of money to create a three story European-styled building to consruct a skyscraper that can house hundreds of people and businesses.

Plus, modern architecture is nonethnic.

Vietnam needs to take care of its temples, old quarter in Hanoi, Hoian, build higher quality more sophisicated tube houses and modern architecture.

TrashCleaner
No, i hate tube house icon_twisted.gif icon_twisted.gif ugly ugly embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif i rather they look similar than look so colorful with all french and chinese and russian and greek influences and possible combinations in between. ugky.

If i am gonna be town planner, i will make sure city planning from the top be correctly followed to the most ridiculous details. Some Vietnamese are just hard-headed, already being given enough money and they still not remove their illegal houses for the planning. This is a system rooted problem. Planning and laws are always good at the macro-level, but never followed correctly. Just terrible. The whole culture of law and respect of the law in Vietnam have got to somehow be improved dramatically if we want to be competitive and build good cities.

Of course we allow people to build their houses but we should have regulations to make sure no environmental problems posed by building the house, no historical value being lost. For example, get some best architectural firms to do research and list out certain types of houses for citizens to build (good with respect to social, environmental and economic aspects), and provide incentives for them to do so; and punish those who break the law without any hesistant (education must be given first, yes).
NTV
QUOTE(StephenDedalusFromAsia @ Apr 21 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]1773199[/snapback]

You can't build 17th century Italian architecture in 2006. That is not economically viable. It will cost the same amount of money to create a three story European-styled building to consruct a skyscraper that can house hundreds of people and businesses.

Vietnam needs to take care of its temples, old quarter in Hanoi, Hoian, build higher quality more sophisicated tube houses and modern architecture.

True. Though standards must be set for tube houses. Some of them are down right eye-soring and look so unsafe to occupy.
Bergamot
QUOTE(StephenDedalusFromAsia @ Apr 21 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1773199[/snapback]

I'm not advocating the rebuilding of ancient buildings. I meant to say that respect for cultural traditions must be maintained, and we shouldn't bull doze everything in our rush to modernise.

I understand your preference for modern architecture is based on its nonethnicity, but this is my gripe with it. Cultural traditions and motiffs should be incorporated into modern buildings.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.