Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Khmer Script
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mushrooms
Chanti is spelled ចន្ទី
But I've also seen ចន្ថី
Goombaking209
hey dara, you wanna edit or create some pages for khmer wikipedia? although my khmer is not that great, i see lots of mistakes like editors leaving out the រ​in certain words and such ..
mushrooms
Heheh. I would love to, but my Khmer is not good enough. Yeah, I know how to read and write words and stuff, but I barely understand composition in Khmer...as mentioned in your other thread. :] So if I contribute anything, it would have to be with technical things like categorization, tag editing, checking for spelling errors, ...stuff like that.
Bhaskara
Hey, I'm all for it!Any contributions will greatly appreciated, I'm sure. i hope my Cambodian sisters and brothers will strive to preserve the Khmer Script! beerchug.gif

Btw, what's up with ur account, dara?
Goombaking209
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Dec 20 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback]2588717[/snapback]

Heheh. I would love to, but my Khmer is not good enough. Yeah, I know how to read and write words and stuff, but I barely understand composition in Khmer...as mentioned in your other thread. :] So if I contribute anything, it would have to be with technical things like categorization, tag editing, checking for spelling errors, ...stuff like that.

that's exactly what im doing.. embarassedlaugh.gif
ham_let
is there a certain stroke order i need to follow? i wasn't sure so i kinda just winged it... lol.

http://h1.ripway.com/hamstarr/FOTOS%20DE%20MIM/ham_lert.gif

icon_redface.gif
Goombaking209
^ here is where you can see the correct strokes, but i always write them my own way

http://www.ilearnkhmer.com/ilearnkhmer.htm
ham_let
hmm. site isn't working for me right now. i'll try later.

lol my chinese friends always make fun of me b/c i can't even write my own surname properly. 19 strokes! Talktohand.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
mushrooms
QUOTE(ham_let @ Dec 26 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]2603066[/snapback]

is there a certain stroke order i need to follow? i wasn't sure so i kinda just winged it... lol.

http://h1.ripway.com/hamstarr/FOTOS%20DE%20MIM/ham_lert.gif

icon_redface.gif

That's very nice Hamlet. And funny too...haha.

See this hehe...
http://artpad.art.com/?jazaucud2rs
ham_let
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Dec 28 2006, 05:10 AM) [snapback]2606169[/snapback]

See this hehe...

is the second one the really fancy version? it looks nice ^__^
Goombaking209
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Dec 28 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]2606169[/snapback]

See this hehe...

it's spelled ហាលិត instead of ហាមលិត
Sovann
http://artpad.art.com/?jb05t5ma508

check it out hamlet
ham_let
QUOTE(Sovann @ Dec 28 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]2607000[/snapback]

thanks beerchug.gif
Goombaking209
QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Dec 25 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]2599218[/snapback]

Hey, I'm all for it!Any contributions will greatly appreciated, I'm sure. i hope my Cambodian sisters and brothers will strive to preserve the Khmer Script! beerchug.gif

cambodians had a Vision some time ago that developed into a dream and now to reality.
Goombaking209
After thoroughly rereading the 1st page where all the wierd readings and exceptions are, i am a bit confused about 1st series/2nd series dominance and which will affect the way in which each word is supposed to be read correctly.

if 1st series អាក្ស is dominant and determines the vowels, how come fish is written as ទ្រី and it's not prounced as Thrii (R rolled in the word three) .

abd also, what the heck is this and what words is this vowel used in? i'll use អ as an X

អ៊ើ
mushrooms
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Dec 30 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]2613207[/snapback]

After thoroughly rereading the 1st page where all the wierd readings and exceptions are, i am a bit confused about 1st series/2nd series dominance and which will affect the way in which each word is supposed to be read correctly.

if 1st series អាក្ស is dominant and determines the vowels, how come fish is written as ទ្រី and it's not prounced as Thrii (R rolled in the word three) .

abd also, what the heck is this and what words is this vowel used in? i'll use អ as an X

អ៊ើ

Fish is written as ត្រី (trei)

អ៊ + ើ =អ៊ើ
Using the treysawp, shows that the pronunciation belongs to the second series.

អ៊ើ never occurs anywhere to my knowledge, អើយ is supposed to be written as អ៊ើយ if you consider it's pronunciation. Hypothetically, you would use it where there is no second series equivalent of a certain consonant. Such as អ (អ៊) or ប (ប៊). អ៊ើន

Alternatively, in the case of where there is no first series equivalent of a consonant, such as ម រ វ ង, etc. You would use the musikaton. For example to write maeun (not sure if this is a real word or not) you would type:
ម៉ + ើ + ន = ម៉ើន (maeun) ..............compare to មើន (meurn).

Btw, it's spelled អក្សរ
Bhaskara
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Dec 29 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]2607595[/snapback]

cambodians had a Vision some time ago that developed into a dream and now to reality.

I've just opened the link, and I have to say congratulation for Cambodians. This way, the Khmer script will be well-preserved icon_wink.gif
So ur name is Chanti, Goomba?What's the meaning of "Chanti"?There are a lot of Indonesians named "Santi" but I don't know what it means embarassedlaugh.gif
Goombaking209
no, my name isnt chanti - that's my friend's name - kinda off topic, but he doesnt really like the name . he thinks it's girly for some reason .. and my sis's bf doesnt like his name either .. sodavy doesnt sound girly .. the only area of concern i would be worrying about is if a man calls himself bopah (some kind of flower) or a boy name neari (young woman) .. embarassedlaugh.gif

anyway, my name is sokhom. im not sure what it means LOL
Bhaskara
Well, here we use "Santi" as a girl's name too, I dunno why though...
Anyway, nice name, Sokhom!U should ask ur parents and find out the meaning. I think of a name as a prayer and hope from the parents for their child icon_wink.gif
khamara
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Jan 2 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]2619079[/snapback]

anyway, my name is sokhom. im not sure what it means LOL

sokhom derived from sok as (in sok sabay not sick,or ill) you should thank your parent for naming you that. Traditionally in my village parents always name their kids wierd name(ie. prak,meas,kmov,arch thear,and so on) so that they(kids) won't get sick.If you think I'm kidding just ask your parent,they'll tell you...
ham_let
what programs do cambodians with interenet access use? (i mean people who actually live and do business in cambodia) are they the same as the ones being used in this thread? and, are there khmer keyboards? i like looking at keyboards from around the world. i myself kind of want/need a portuguese keyboard to make typing faster. (typing 'alt+0227' every 3 seconds and 'alt+0245' every 5 seconds gets annoying) when i was in HK i wanted to buy a chinese keyboard just because it looked cool...
mushrooms
I think most of them still used hacked fonts: Limon. Those are fonts that still have Latin coding to them, but the images are replaced with Khmer letters. Sort of how the Wing Ding fonts are. And they set their keyboard to international I think. Some goverment sites still do this.

The Unicode keyboard from KhmerOS (and there is no standard one yet) is based on the Limon keyboard layout. It coordinates Khmer letters to the most resembling Latin letter. So it's pretty easy to learn if you are used to typing with the Qwerty.

K/k is ក/គ
Q/q is ឆ/ឈ
I/i is ិ/ី and etc.
ham_let
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Jan 3 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]2622232[/snapback]

I think most of them still used hacked fonts: Limon. Those are fonts that still have Latin coding to them, but the images are replaced with Khmer letters. Sort of how the Wing Ding fonts are. And they set their keyboard to international I think. Some goverment sites still do this.
The Unicode keyboard from KhmerOS (and there is no standard one yet) is based on the Limon keyboard layout. It coordinates Khmer letters to the most resembling Latin letter. So it's pretty easy to learn if you are used to typing with the Qwerty.

K/k is ក/គ
Q/q is ឆ/ឈ
I/i is ិ/ី and etc.

ah i see. that's how inuktitut fonts work as well i think. (yea i dabbled a bit into that as well too and then gave up lol)EDIT: can't spell ¬¬`
Goombaking209
IPB Image

this is the key layout to the nida standard of khmer unicode (the unicode dara and I are using)

i recall seeing an actual keyboard that looks like this too .. i'll find it in an old thread ..

okay here's the link .. just scroll down to the third pix and you'll see an upclose pix of a khmer keyboard

http://rak3k.wordpress.com/tag/%e1%9e%81%e...9f%92%e1%9e%8f/

QUOTE(khamara @ Jan 3 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]2622101[/snapback]

sokhom derived from sok as (in sok sabay not sick,or ill) you should thank your parent for naming you that. Traditionally in my village parents always name their kids wierd name(ie. prak,meas,kmov,arch thear,and so on) so that they(kids) won't get sick.If you think I'm kidding just ask your parent,they'll tell you...

LOL i feel sorta blessed not being named prak ... i dont see why they couldnt just use the word sovann(a) .. and is kmov - 'black'? arch ther - duck poop? lol ..
khamara
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Jan 3 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]2622473[/snapback]

and is kmov - 'black'? arch ther - duck poop? lol ..

kmov - 'black' arch ther - duck poop = you're corrected !
mushrooms
Actually, if it is spelled like សុខុម (Sukhuma), then this is probably a different word, which means refined/subtle/pure.
Goombaking209
hmm i dont know which meaning my dad intended, but i would write it as

សុឃម្ម
mushrooms
Well, I doubt he intended it to mean this, but if you translate that from Pali, SuGhamma would mean 'very hot.' Heheh.
Goombaking209
shifty.gif why would you doubt that? embarassedlaugh.gif
Bhaskara
Hmm.."Sukma" means "Soul" or "Spirit" here in Indonesia....
Mon-khmer
i'm a little teapot, short and stout. <(^_^)>!!!!
cooldude2k6
Khao-I-Dang Khmer Learning Book #1
Released on: 1/28/07

IPB Image

It's finally done! I hope you guys will use it to learn Khmer, enjoy! laugh.gif

-=DOWNLOAD LINK=- (15.5 MB - 93 Page Book - .PDF file)
Goombaking209
YAY!! ^ is kao i dang better than the UN published khmer textbooks?
mushrooms
UNHCR is a sector of the UN....heheh.
Goombaking209
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Jan 30 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]2691023[/snapback]
UNHCR is a sector of the UN....heheh.
if i can recall correctly, that's the book i used to teach myself how to read/write in khmer
cooldude2k6
The link for the khmer learning book expired so I re-uploaded it. Enjoy icon_smile.gif
Goombaking209
this is wierd ... i've never seen these consonants before

ហ្គហ្គ៊ហ្សហ្ស៊

what khmer words use these consonants?
mushrooms
ហ្គ​ and ហ្ស are reserved for French loanwords, mainly country names like អាល់ហ្សេរី (Algeria), អាហ៊្សែរបែហ្សង (Azerbaijan) or គៀរហ្គីស្តង (Kiergistan).

ហ្ស can represent z or j or the soft-g. And I remember seeing it in the Khmer spelling for the word 'bougie' (but I forgot the spelling).
ហ្គ​ represents the hard-g.

I may want to add that even though ហ្ស is used to write Z, it is a lot of times pronounce like a J or soft-G. I remember Norodom Sihanouk saying bulldozer like bool-do-jér in one of his movies. And for French loanwords in Khmer, even though it uses ស, the ស​ is sometimes pronounced like a Z.

Didn't I already over go this once before?hehe
Goombaking209
nope, you havent -- im very active with this thread, so unless i missed or overlooked something then maybe
mushrooms
http://www.khmerculture.com/ <dictionary site. search in english and get results in both english and khmer unicode
Goombaking209
អរគុណច្រើនបងដារា។វចនានុក្រមខ្ញុំអត់ល្អទេ។
cooldude2k6
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Feb 15 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]2727665[/snapback]

អរគុណច្រើនបងដារា។វចនានុក្រមខ្ញុំអត់ល្អទេ។

Hmm, I think you spelled Dara wrong. It should be spelt like this laugh.gif :

តារា

It's kinda weird I know, it should sound like Tara; But it changes to Dara in this case. Its kind of like Taev-da:

ទេវតា
Goombaking209
^ i was thinking hard about how to write dara and i came up with these:

ដារ៉ា
ឌារ៉ា
since reading ដារា would sound like ដារៀ

btw, is it that funny to misspell khmer words? icon_confused.gif
cooldude2k6
QUOTE(Goombaking209 @ Feb 16 2007, 01:21 AM) [snapback]2728756[/snapback]

^ i was thinking hard about how to write dara and i came up with these:

ដារ៉ា
ឌារ៉ា
since reading ដារា would sound like ដារៀ

btw, is it that funny to misspell khmer words? icon_confused.gif

No, its not funny to misspell words. I was laughing at myself, because I made the same mistake before. icon_redface.gif
Sorry If I offended you.
mushrooms
ដារា/តារា​ are both correct.

Actually, the original and ancient spelling is តារា (because that's how they use to say it: Tara), but the pronunciation shifted to "Dara," so they added an alternative spelling; ដារា. But the new spelling is mainly used for the name while the word for "star" is still spelled like "tara" (តារា).

And រា​ is not pronounced like រៀ because ត or ដ has dominance in this situation.

តារា = dara
តារាង = tarang
This is a rare situation, but it happens.

And if you want to see how commonly ដារា is used for the name, just Google that word and you will see.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ដារា
cooldude2k6
Dara, I have a question. In some karaoke videos I've seen Sralanh is spelled two different ways; one with Law and one with Loa, which one is the correct way?

ស្រឡាញ់

or

ស្រលាញ់
mushrooms
Both are commonly used so it's okay to use either. However ស្រឡាញ់ is in the dictionary so it's better to use that.

The noun form is spelled with ល (សម្លាញ់ or សំលាញ់). So my guess is that ស្រឡាញ់ is the standardized spelling and ស្រលាញ់ maybe a relic of when spelling was not standardized before Samdech Juon Nat. ស្រលាញ់ may have been the original spelling. When spelling of Khmer words was standardized, some words took on the later versions. For example, the antique spelling of ស្ដេច used ជ instead of ច.
cooldude2k6
QUOTE(mushrooms @ Feb 17 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]2732648[/snapback]

Both are commonly used so it's okay to use either. However ស្រឡាញ់ is in the dictionary so it's better to use that.

The noun form is spelled with ល (សម្លាញ់ or សំលាញ់). So my guess is that ស្រឡាញ់ is the standardized spelling and ស្រលាញ់ maybe a relic of when spelling was not standardized before Samdech Juon Nat. ស្រលាញ់ may have been the original spelling. When spelling of Khmer words was standardized, some words took on the later versions. For example, the antique spelling of ស្ដេច used ជ instead of ច.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me Dara! icon_smile.gif
Bhaskara
Hey, hey..can u make my name in Khmer script? My name is Ari. Pleaaase? It'd be sooo cool!

But my computer couldn't read all the writings in this thread... icon_sad.gif
mushrooms
Hey Bhaskara! Awesome siggy! biggrin.gif:D:D

How do you pronounce your name? Are-Ree or Ah-Ree?

IPB Image

If you want to make your own graphics with your Khmerized name, go here for fonts.

The one that sounds like "Are-Ree" is spelled with the letters "GrI".
The other that sounds more like "Ah-Ree" uses the letters "GarI". (It's case sensitive)

To make it safe, you could use "GrIu" or "GarIu" instead since the ones above might be read as "areiy" or even "awq-ree" (since the origin is ambiguous, the reading rules will be ambiguous too...it's complicated). These will appear to have a subscript vowel in the second syllable cluster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.