Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nobel Laureate in Economics 2005 (Robert Aumann)
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Vietnamese Chat
SoCal
http://www.saigontimes.com.vn/daily/detail...2746&SoTT=5

Nobel Laureate says education key to Vietnam’s world integration

Nobel Laureate in Economics in 2005, Rovbert Aumann
By MINH NGOC

(SGT-HANOI) The visiting Nobel Laureate in Economics in 2005, Robert Aumann, said yesterday that education was key to Vietnam’s global integration and that the country would need to boost educational cooperation with other countries.

“Vietnamese students in mathematics are excellent and it is essential for economic development,” Aumann said, adding that the Government should facilitate this trend.

The 76-year-old economist was awarded the 2005 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for enhancing the understanding of conflict and cooperation, or war and peace through game-theory analysis. He shared the prize with Thomas Schelling.

Before delivering a speech at the seventh international public economic conference yesterday, Aumann met Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, who shared the guest’s proposal that Vietnam and Israel should strengthen cooperation in the education sector.

In his hour-long speech at the conference attended by around 300 international scholars and scientists, Aumann interpreted his theory of repeated games, which are situations in which players encounter the same situation over and over again.

His theory proved that war is rational and people cannot avoid war but have to understand to address it.

Peace is a process and all players need patience to get peace, he said. “If you want peace now, you can’t get peace.”

Regarding to the current conflict in Lebanon, Aumann said Israel is impatient. “They (Israel) want peace but they are impatient,” said Aumann, who was born in Germany and is holding Israeli and U.S. citizenship.

PervertBurger
Kinda obvious.

I don't see how him saying this is any different from a dedicated school teacher in VN having the same understanding.
etalkishere
QUOTE(SoCal @ Aug 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]2124444[/snapback]

Nobel Laureate says education key to Vietnam’s world integration

IMHO, the urgent thing to do now: The educational ministry needs to put in place a campaign to validate suspicious advanced degree holders, and toughly prosecute them. The best place to start is in state-owned enterprises. That way, it will serve as good example to deter others from faking their degrees. That would be a good start to deal with this dangerous epidemic. It makes VNese education system look very bad.

===================================================
Heal the educational epidemic in Vietnam: scholar

Vietnam’s education system has been decimated by fake certificates and diplomas, which arise from the fact that they are prerequisites for promotion in state agencies.

Veteran columnist Tran Bach Dang, author of many revolutionary stories on society’s burning issues, shares some of his insights in local Tuoi Tre newspaper. Excerpts:

Many opinions in the press and conferences consider the traditional respect for academic titles and diplomas as one of the causes to invent doctorate diplomas and professorships in Vietnam.

Unusual results

For many years now, graduation results in primary, secondary and high schools have shown unusual trends of 98-100 percent.

It’s clear that the results are not authentic, and rather than being a positive aspect, they shoot down both the human dignity and the nation’s educational quality.

An incumbent provincial leader told me that his son, who was quite illiterate, passed every exam he took.

Asked why he didn’t tell the universities to disqualify him from receiving certificates, he smiled and said, “It would make my son miserable!”

Recent graduation exams at high schools in northern Ha Tay and southern An Giang province have exposed such rampant cheating that newly-elected Minister of Education hastily arrived there to attempt to solve the matter.

Self-learning rather than indignant diplomas

I have read letters written by numerous doctors, whose writings were fraught with spelling mistakes and disorganization, rendering them nearly incomprehensible.

The problem is deepened by the party’s regulations which require academic diplomas as prerequisites for promotion.

The situation, at a national level, is exhibiting a serious lack of respect for self-learning, which had long been lauded during the times of feudalism, under French colonialism, and in the revolutionary period.

Self-learning to improve personal knowledge is the burning desire of true scholars, who work on their own in libraries to supplement their knowledge and skills.

In daily life, there are countless people that are without academic titles, but still make immense contributions to the society, the party and the nation. Some, even our top leaders, have revealed a talent for leadership.

I have a special affinity for a true example of self study by An Chi, author of “East stories, West stories” in Kien Thuc Ngay Nay (Contemporary knowledge) Magazine.

Chi, who taught at the primary school and is self taught, having never set foot on a university campus.

The country needs more responsible men, who fulfill tasks, not those who fake doctorates and have no competent ability.

Of course, people should study if they have the chance, but I think the party central committee should change the regulations.

Certificates and diplomas are only one form of measure in a learned society, but taking these as rules for ability or promotion is a non-revolutionary act, out of line with civilizations worldwide.
Heavenandearth
"His theory proved that war is rational and people cannot avoid war but have to understand to address it."

Sure it is rational when they say they bring democracy, they brought bombs, poisions, murders and rapes. When they worship a guy as a father of the nation, they all ignore that he welcomed or helped to open the gate of never seen hell.

Very rational, nicely put because it is all great for these extremists, murderers and rapists and they're still chanting that freedom and waving that 3lashes or Hoho jinxed flag around. Very rational!
shortfused
QUOTE(SoCal @ Aug 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]2124444[/snapback]

Nobel Laureate in Economics in 2005, Rovbert Aumann

Is this guy jewish?
supernovasp
QUOTE(shortfused @ Aug 3 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]2126272[/snapback]

Is this guy jewish?

of course embarassedlaugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aumann
etalkishere
I know it's out of scope for this forum, but let's just take a quick look at Israel accomplishments. I heard a lot about the fact that many geniuses or Nobel Laureates around the world are Jewish, but never actually spend time to confirm.

Well, I just did a search, for the first time, on the WWW, and found this webpage: Israel Science and Technology Homepage. Take a look, you'll see why they are called "God's People". I'm just shocked:

# of Jewish Laureates of Nobel Prize in Biomedical Sciences = 48
# of Jewish Laureates of Nobel Prize in Chemistry = 26
# of Jewish Laureates of Nobel Prize in Economics = 20
# of Jewish Laureates of Nobel Prize in Physic = 44
# of Jewish Laureates of Nobel Prize in Literature = 12

Total: 150

You see Albert Einstein got Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.

Holly Cow!!! bowdown.gif
SoCal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize#_note-0

As of November 2005, a total of 776 Nobel Prizes have been awarded (758 to individuals and 18 to organizations).[1]

The percentage of Jewish is 150 / 776 = 19.33.

It is almost 20%.

Thanks, E Talk.
landsknechts
I thought this topic is about Vietnam, why are you guys talking about Jews or Korean like in the other thread? Get back to topic please
SoCal
landsknechts:

We learn much by learning from others.
etalkishere
QUOTE(SoCal @ Aug 3 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]2126470[/snapback]

landsknechts:

We learn much by learning from others.

You can read people's minds biggthumpup.gif

QUOTE(landsknechts @ Aug 3 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]2126439[/snapback]

I thought this topic is about Vietnam, why are you guys talking about Jews or Korean like in the other thread? Get back to topic please

landsknechts:

Sorry, if my post offended you. So, there was no Korean-related discussion in Vietnamese forums before?
LaniKai
QUOTE(shortfused @ Aug 3 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]2126272[/snapback]

Is this guy jewish?

Yes , Nobel was probably a Jew ; Swedish-Jew .
landsknechts
Back to topic. Considering only 40-45% of the 80 millions Vietnamese attend high schools, we need to invest more in education
SoCal
There are many Viet Kieu educators who are teaching abroad.

Vietnam should invite Viet Kieu educators to work with other Vietnamese educators in Vietnam during their summer vacations or Sabbatical Leaves.
supernovasp
QUOTE(landsknechts @ Aug 3 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]2126611[/snapback]

Back to topic. Considering only 40-45% of the 80 millions Vietnamese attend high schools, we need to invest more in education

it's because it's so expensive to buy all the books and pay the school's fees. sure.gif
shortfused
QUOTE(landsknechts @ Aug 3 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]2126611[/snapback]

and listen to jews icon_smile.gif
TrashCleaner
I learnt about "Game Theory" before in first year economic at university. It is quite rational and easy to understand. Our lecturer said that he is kind of suprise because something so easy to understand like that could not be proposed earlier.
blacklight
QUOTE(shortfused @ Aug 4 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]2126963[/snapback]

Funny. The Jews in America also emulate successful Asians including Vietnamese. What goes around comes around.
LaniKai
QUOTE(shortfused @ Aug 3 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]2126963[/snapback]

Karl Mordechai Marx was , for sure ; but Lenin might possibly not 100% Russian , thus a Russian-Jew
SoCal
http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/poj.htm

"In his book Ethnic America, Dr. Thomas Sowell, an African-American economist and senior fellow at the Hoover Institute, created a point-scale index that graphed Jewish economic success compared with that of other ethnic groups:"

ETHNIC HOUSEHOLD INCOME

(U.S. Average = 100)

JEWISH -- 172

JAPANESE -- 132

POLISH -- 115

CHINESE & ITALIAN -- 112

ANGLO-SAXON & German -- 107

IRISH -- 103

U.S. AVG. -- 100

FILIPINO -- 99

WEST INDIAN -- 94

MEXICAN -- 76

PUERTO RICAN -- 63

BLACK -- 62

NATIVE AMERICAN -- 60

LaniKai
QUOTE(PervertBurger @ Aug 3 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]2124509[/snapback]

Kinda obvious.

I don't see how him saying this is any different from a dedicated school teacher in VN having the same understanding.
Well , he did not say Karl Marx bring the world to an Utopia ; in it VN is the greatest .
TINMAN
Just out of curiosity but does anyone know anything about VN science and biomedical education? Are there science laboratories in high school or college? Any scientific research or publications coming out of VN?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.