Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 31 Viet-Ams graduated as Valedictorian or Salutorian in Houston
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Vietnamese Chat
Pages: 1, 2
supernovasp
eek.gif Out of 61 high schools in Houston and outer suburban areas, 31 Vietnamese americans graduated as either Valedictorian or Salutorian

Here's the biography of all of them (scroll down to the middle of the pdf file)

http://www.vhkhvn.org/vhkh/youth/images/VV...rogram_Book.pdf

beerchug.gif

Pictures
http://truongky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334

At least 2-3 of them will be attending harvard.
blacklight
Nice work. As usual, the best of our best are a match for anyone - Chinese, Indian, Koreans. We don't just beat the competition, we wipe it out.

On the other hand, let's not forget to lend a helping, tutoring hand to those of our students who are struggling, so that they in turn can shoot up like rockets.

When we get act our together and we get going, we are almost impossible to beat.
supernovasp
^^ there are a lot of viet gangsters in Houston as well.. ahh Vietnamese people are full of contradictory embarassedlaugh.gif
blacklight
QUOTE(supernovasp @ Aug 15 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]2177765[/snapback]

^^ there are a lot of viet gangsters in Houston as well.. ahh Vietnamese people are full of contradictory embarassedlaugh.gif

Yeah, either we do extraordinarily well or we screw up bad. There is no middle ground. I would rather that we do extremely well.
Byron
QUOTE(supernovasp @ Aug 15 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]2177765[/snapback]

There are plenty of gangsters and criminals of any ethnicity. The only reason why there are lots of Vietnamese gangsters around is because Vietnam is like one of 3 countries that doesn't have a deportation agreement with the US.

Gangsters of other immigrants are pretty much deported.
supernovasp
QUOTE(blacklight @ Aug 15 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]2177774[/snapback]

Yeah, either we do extraordinarily well or we screw up bad. There is no middle ground. I would rather that we do extremely well.

I'm so impressed with these people, if you read their achievement lists kiss.gif
Tav6
they should go back to vn and help the mother land beerchug.gif
blacklight
QUOTE(Tav6 @ Aug 15 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]2178187[/snapback]

they should go back to vn and help the mother land beerchug.gif

They have to be well trained professionals first, with solid connections in the United States. Then they should help the motherland as organized groups. If they do so, their effectivenesss will be out of all proportion to their numbers. And other countries will be green with envy.
SoCal
Very impressive icon_smile.gif

Congratulations, Vietnamese Americans icon_smile.gif
blacklight
We are a small minority in the US, but we are showing again the power of quality over quantity.
SoCal
QUOTE(blacklight @ Aug 15 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]2178402[/snapback]

We are a small minority in the US, but we are showing again the power of quality over quantity.

By 2010, Vietnamese Americans will be the second largest in the Asian American Group after Chinese Americans.
blacklight
QUOTE(SoCal @ Aug 15 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]2178453[/snapback]

By 2010, Vietnamese Americans will be the second largest in the Asian American Group after Chinese Americans.

Our numbers in 2010 will still be chicken-$hit percentage-wise compared to the rest of the US.
LaiSteve66
Is anyone really surprised? The Valedictorian of my own graduating class eight years ago was Vietnamese.

Anyway, congrats to them.
Byron
Ok so Vietnamese are good at studying, but what about practical work? You saw the number of Vietnamese articles in journals. Just shows that book smarts doesn't necessarily translate to success.
supernovasp
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]2178518[/snapback]

Ok so Vietnamese are good at studying, but what about practical work? You saw the number of Vietnamese articles in journals. Just shows that book smarts doesn't necessarily translate to success.

Uhm if you have look at their biography, most of them are very well-rounded athletically (?), academically, and socially.
blacklight
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]2178518[/snapback]

Here is a small exercise for you: google these three terms at once - nguyen "high tech" founder. Then count the number of references (52700)
Byron
QUOTE(supernovasp @ Aug 15 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]2178531[/snapback]

Uhm if you have look at their biography, most of them are very well-rounded athletically (?), academically, and socially.

Well until I see large numbers of Vietnamese making practical inventions and research, I'm not gonna go out and say Vietnamese are just as good as other ethnicities.
LaiSteve66
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]2178545[/snapback]

Well until I see large numbers of Vietnamese making practical inventions and research, I'm not gonna go out and say Vietnamese are just as good as other ethnicities.

What? You mean other ethnicities are better?
Byron
QUOTE(LaiSteve66 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]2178553[/snapback]

better in terms of scientific and artistic accomplishment.
LaiSteve66
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]2178561[/snapback]

better in terms of scientific and artistic accomplishment.

At the University of Houston, there are many Vietnamese in science majors on the undergraduate, masters and PhD levels, so Vietnamese are involved in scientific research and they will accomplish something. Give it time.
Byron
Well how many Vietnamese billionaires are there in the world? 0.

I'm not trying to bash Vietnamese, but I'm just demonstrating that we still got a long way to go.
SoCal
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]2178626[/snapback]

I'm not trying to bash Vietnamese, but I'm just demonstrating that we still got a long way to go.

It is better to produce more Vietnamese millionaires than more Vietnamese billionaires.
Byron
QUOTE(SoCal @ Aug 15 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]2178689[/snapback]

It is better to produce more Vietnamese millionaires than more Vietnamese billionaires.

Why stop at millionaires? The sky's the limit, take advantage of it.
DisneyLandGangsta
There's tons of viets in Texas.
supernovasp
QUOTE(DisneyLandGangsta @ Aug 15 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]2178714[/snapback]

There's tons of viets in Texas.

Viet population in Houston and its vincinities are are only 6%-10%
shortfused
QUOTE(LaiSteve66 @ Aug 15 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]2178553[/snapback]

Yes, you ever heard of the jews?
TINMAN
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]2178626[/snapback]

I suppose you equate academic success with monetary rewards. If that is the case, then every VNese students should major in business instead and forget about science, engineering, law, fine arts, education, etc.

There is more to life than just the dollar signs.
etalkishere
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]2178518[/snapback]

Not sure if you aware, there is this VACETS (The Vietnamese Association for Computing, Engineering, Technology, and Science), which was originated in US. It hosted about 5 VTICs (VACETS Technical International Conference), and its members published quite a few technical letters and journals. I don't know how many of these publications actually got submitted and published onto big-name journals (IEEE, ASME, etc). Many of VACETS members are actually successful company founders or university professors/researchers, with advanced degrees (Masters/PhD). If we could get many of VACETS members serious on writing and publishing papers, I am sure the number of papers writtten by Vietnamese profesionnals, in US alone, will go up considerably.

I am sure there are other professional societies besides VACETS whose members could help contribute to the count. We just need a way to excite those professionals icon_smile.gif
neinei
QUOTE(supernovasp @ Aug 15 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]2178748[/snapback]

Viet population in Houston and its vincinities are are only 6%-10%

wow, only 6-10 percent of the population but still having that many validitorians, that is one amazing and high ratios beerchug.gif
canhong
QUOTE(etalkishere @ Aug 15 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]2179243[/snapback]

I am sure there are other professional societies besides VACETS whose members could help contribute to the count. We just need a way to excite those professionals icon_smile.gif

There are plenty of work by overseas Viets in every top-rated publications. You can check out for yourself. Simply going to the websites of high-impact journals (Nature, Science, Applied Physics, etc.) and search for authors with Viet last name.

Here is an example. A search on Nature turned up 318 papers with Viet authors or co-authors. We Viets still have a long way to go, but if we have access to research literature and equipment (such as the case of overseas Viets), we can make excellent researchers just like anybody else.

c...
supernovasp
QUOTE(neinei @ Aug 15 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]2179373[/snapback]

wow, only 6-10 percent of the population but still having that many validitorians, that is one amazing and high ratios beerchug.gif

Actually it's lesser than that embarassedlaugh.gif

Houston is a diverse and an international city, in part because of its many academic institutions and strong biomedical, energy, manufacturing and aerospace industries. According to the U.S. Census 2000, the racial makeup of the city was 49.27 percent White, 25.31 percent Black or African American, 0.44 percent Native American, 5.31 percent Asian, 0.06 percent Pacific Islander, 16.46 percent from other races, and 3.15 percent from two or more races. Thirty-seven percent of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

DisneyLandGangsta
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]2177796[/snapback]

There are plenty of gangsters and criminals of any ethnicity. The only reason why there are lots of Vietnamese gangsters around is because Vietnam is like one of 3 countries that doesn't have a deportation agreement with the US.

Gangsters of other immigrants are pretty much deported.

HAHAHAHAHAH, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

there's still going to be viet gangsters regardless of a deportation pact or not.
Asian gangsters who get deported are the ones who came under refugee status.

I don't see how this would effect Vietnamese,30+ years has elaspe since the Vietnamese war and usually they stop gangbanging at that age for obvious reasons either they are in jail or dead.
neinei
QUOTE(DisneyLandGangsta @ Aug 15 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]2179591[/snapback]

there's still going to be viet gangsters regardless of a deportation pact or not.

I don't see how this would effect Vietnamese,30+ years has elaspe since the Vietnamese war and usually they stop gangbanging at that age for obvious reasons either they are in jail or dead.

it is quite obvious vietnamese are mostly gangsters unlike cambodians, who are mostly validitorians, high scholoars, or winners of math olympics beerchug.gif
DisneyLandGangsta
QUOTE(neinei @ Aug 15 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]2179624[/snapback]

it is quite obvious vietnamese are mostly gangsters unlike cambodians, who are mostly validitorians beerchug.gif

lol, don't even twist my words around, I didn't even say that. I wish the Vietnamese well in their quest to be an academic powerhouse.

Talk to your boy byron, tell him to stop turning everything into Cambodian and Vietnamese comparison.
etalkishere
QUOTE(canhong @ Aug 15 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]2179394[/snapback]

There are plenty of work by overseas Viets in every top-rated publications. You can check out for yourself. Simply going to the websites of high-impact journals (Nature, Science, Applied Physics, etc.) and search for authors with Viet last name.

Here is an example. A search on Nature turned up 318 papers with Viet authors or co-authors. We Viets still have a long way to go, but if we have access to research literature and equipment (such as the case of overseas Viets), we can make excellent researchers just like anybody else.

c...

Impressive indeed on the Science front. In the Engineering front, IEEE in particular, I think we have only a handful. With so many members (thousands, I think) in VACETS worldwide, many of which hold advanced degrees, overseas Vietnamese should be more than equipped to publish technical papers in high-impact journals.
unattractiveguy
Good for them.

Vietnamese is among the fastest growing ethnicity in America. I forgot who was in second behind us.
canhong
QUOTE(etalkishere @ Aug 15 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]2179884[/snapback]

Impressive indeed on the Science front. In the Engineering front, IEEE in particular, I think we have only a handful. With so many members (thousands, I think) in VACETS worldwide, many of which hold advanced degrees, overseas Vietnamese should be more than equipped to publish technical papers in high-impact journals.

Etal, don't be modest! I think we're doing pretty well in Engineering front, probably more so than Science. I'm in ME/IE where I know there is a substantial amount of published research by Viets (overseas at least).

I won't pretend to know a lot about Viet scholars' work in EE/CS/CompE, but I have to believe they're not chopped livers. biggrin.gif Indeed, a quick search on IEEE website (using Nguyen as a search name for author) turned up over 3,000 papers out of a total of 1.3+ millions papers (edit to delete staggering 1.3+ millions papers. I should have read it more carefully, my bad!). Again, we're still behind in numbers (by a large margin) compared to others of Asian origins (esp. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc.) but provided with opportunities, we can research the heck out of anything. biggrin.gif

c...
bluelakedragon
In Houston areas, 31 students in 55 to 60 High Schools graduated either 1st or 2nd in their classs.
Even Pres. Bush recognized it. beerchug.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/vietnamese/vietnam/st..._students.shtml

my bad...SuperN beat to this:

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84658
BoostedDoGirl
^^ =) damn vietnamese nerds lol .. i kid =)

if we didnt get all a's u know what the parents gonna say.... "stoooopppidd""" lol
Byron
QUOTE(DisneyLandGangsta @ Aug 15 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]2179591[/snapback]

Uh you do know I meant the Ratio of gangsters would be signficantly reduced and not eliminated.

Talk to your boy byron, tell him to stop turning everything into Cambodian and Vietnamese comparison.

Yes please tell me where I even mentioned "Cambodian" in a previous post in this thread. And Neinei wouldn't even have to mention Cambodian in here if you didn't come into this Vietnamese thread.
etalkishere
QUOTE(canhong @ Aug 15 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]2180304[/snapback]

Etal, don't be modest! I think we're doing pretty well in Engineering front, probably more so than Science. I'm in ME/IE where I know there is a substantial amount of published research by Viets (overseas at least).

I won't pretend to know a lot about Viet scholars' work in EE/CS/CompE, but I have to believe they're not chopped livers. biggrin.gif Indeed, a quick search on IEEE website (using Nguyen as a search name for author) turned up over 3,000 papers out of a total of 1.3+ millions papers (edit to delete staggering 1.3+ millions papers. I should have read it more carefully, my bad!). Again, we're still behind in numbers (by a large margin) compared to others of Asian origins (esp. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc.) but provided with opportunities, we can research the heck out of anything. biggrin.gif

c...

If you look at the how many get published yearly from your search, you see what I mean, epsecially lately embarassedlaugh.gif That was more of my point, not the total. Of course, that's was just based on "Nguyen", but Nguyen has 50% or so representation in Vietnamese population. My area is in telecommunications/networking, and I used to subscribe IEEE Communications magazine, I don't recall we had many Vietnamese authors/co-authors. Your search yielded papers mostly in non- telecom/networking areas. If you look at what jintaon's post earlier, certainly it is very embarrassing compared to other ASEAN countries. I don't know his source, and don't think his count included Vietnamese overseas people. I think you and I, and many folks here agree that we still have a long way to go. And to your last point about being given opportunities, I am confident once Vietnam gets into WTO, the domestic count will very likely go up in large number in the next 5 years. At least, that's my hope given the increase in partnership/research opportunties between foreigners and domestic companies/universities.

Now, imagine if majority of Vietnamese overseas intellects come back and contribute to motherland biggthumpup.gif What a beautiful increase in quantity and quality, in terms of publications, it will be icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(jintaon @ Jul 27 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]2096905[/snapback]

JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY
China India Korea Japan Taiwan Hong Kong Singapore Vietnam
1955-2000 119 217 155 4,311 116 91 10 1
2001-2006 530 114 325 2,138 113 134 56 0

ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION
1955-2000 34 16 32 267 11 24 6 0
2001-2006 355 79 127 855 42 60 29 0

JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY
1955-2000 77 217 273 6,661 206 47 116 0
2001-2006 483 248 624 3,728 289 99 141 1

PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS
1955-2000 413 640 371 3,046 246 94 9 8
2001-2006 906 495 548 2,127 381 132 71 7

NATURE
China India Korea Japan Taiwan HongKong Singapore Vietnam
1955-2000 144 465 26 1,832 33 26 20 2
2001-2006 143 59 52 558 38 19 24 4

SCIENCE
China India Korea Japan Taiwan HongKong Singapore Vietnam
1955-2000 132 74 21 753 29 17 16 1
2001-2006 201 58 41 430 27 20 18 1
PervertBurger
QUOTE(BoostedDoGirl @ Aug 16 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]2181052[/snapback]

^^ =) damn vietnamese nerds lol .. i kid =)

if we didnt get all a's u know what the parents gonna say.... "stoooopppidd""" lol

poor tiffihenni laugh.gif
TheBoss
maybe they are bribing all the teachers there, like they do in Vietnam ??
justme
[quote name='Byron' date='Aug 15 2006, 03:40 PM' post='2178626']

actually, there's one: David Lam
google him out if you're curious

here's another one who would've made it: http://english.vietnamnet.vn/biz/2006/02/545582/

oh, and props to the hardworkers. i hope they would contribute much to society
blacklight
I think that jintaon was pulling a fast one: (1) he goes around hijacking successful Vietnamese scholars as Chinese; (2) he totally disregards overseas Vietnamese in his compilation of contributions.

I think that jintaon is hysterically funny, because my little brother alone wrote eight papers in four years as a PhD candidate in Electrical Engineering in New York while working full-time in Virginia (don't ask me stupid questions like "how did he do it?") - That's a few more papers than jintaon is reporting.

Conclusion: I think that jintaon is full of $hit. But jintaon will probably try to recover by hijacking my little bro as a Chinese, based on our partially Chinese ancestry. jintaon is a zob (that's the Arab word for "d!ck" - In the spirit of balance and impartiality, I'll ask one or my Jewish friends the Hebrew word for "d!ck" when I get the chance)
Confucianaire
How come some many Viet live in Texas?
etalkishere
QUOTE(blacklight @ Aug 16 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]2182415[/snapback]

I think that jintaon was pulling a fast one: (1) he goes around hijacking successful Vietnamese scholars as Chinese; (2) he totally disregards overseas Vietnamese in his compilation of contributions.

I think that jintaon is hysterically funny, because my little brother alone wrote eight papers in four years as a PhD candidate in Electrical Engineering in New York while working full-time in Virginia (don't ask me stupid questions like "how did he do it?") - That's a few more papers than jintaon is reporting.

Conclusion: I think that jintaon is full of $hit. But jintaon will probably try to recover by hijacking my little bro as a Chinese, based on our partially Chinese ancestry. jintaon is a zob (that's the Arab word for "d!ck" - In the spirit of balance and impartiality, I'll ask one or my Jewish friends the Hebrew word for "d!ck" when I get the chance)

Now, you mentioned it... Very likely, jintaon's stats are not true, and I DAMN hope that is the case. Assuming jintaon's stats are full of $hit, someone else, best a Vietnamese, needs to compile another list. If someone can do that, I will bowdown.gif to your highness icon_smile.gif
DisneyLandGangsta
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 16 2006, 05:27 AM) [snapback]2181528[/snapback]

Uh you do know I meant the Ratio of gangsters would be signficantly reduced and not eliminated.

lol No it wouldn't cause now that they are warned most of them went out and applied for citizenship and most of new gangster are born in the states.

Last time I checked there were only 111 deportees out of a few thousand that were suppose to go back.
blacklight
QUOTE(etalkishere @ Aug 16 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]2182566[/snapback]

Now, you mentioned it... Very likely, jintaon's stats are not true, and I DAMN hope that is the case.

Let's put it this way: the requirement for a PhD candidate in the Chemical Engineering Department at the School of Engineering at Columbia University is that he or she gets four papers published in order to graduate - and I believe this requirement is typical. The number of papers that jintaon attributes to Vietnamese is 1 or thereabouts. This means that we did not have a single successful PhD candidate in science and engineering anywhere in the world within the last six years - jintaon is obviously a lying fraud. And I almost forgot: I got one paper published in the late 80's, so if jintao is claiming that not a single paper was published by a Vietnamese before 2000, I can call him a liar based exclusively on what I did myself.
landsknechts
QUOTE(Byron @ Aug 15 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]2178626[/snapback]

There are two by the names of Trung Dung and Tran Dinh Truong and another potential one is Bill Nguyen who sold his company for $850 millions. I'm talking about these guys who have become billionare not in some third-world country but in a 1st world country like U.S where competition is much much tougher

Just ask member Johannjis, he personally knows several Vietnamese billionares in France.

Btw justme, David Lam is an ethnic Chinese, not Vietnamese and he was born in China.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.