Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Common filipino surnames
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Filipino Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Sonofvisayas
I was just wondering if us Filipinos have common surnames, i always see de la cruz, cruz ,lopez, Gonzales, Ramos etc.. What do you think are the most common surnames in the Philippines?

BTW mine is Geronimo same as Sarah laugh.gif
santoloco
santos, sotto, de los santos, marquez, .......etc
Sirikittong
Tan, Lim, Sanchez and Cruz.
santoloco
pineda, domingo.
kristleh
QUOTE(Sonofvisayas @ Sep 3 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]2250399[/snapback]

BTW mine is Geronimo same as Sarah laugh.gif

naku kelangan ko ng masanay na tawag sa akin mrs. geronimo. hmmm... maganda sa tenga. hahaha laugh.gif
ham_let
de los Santos
Santos
de la Cruz
Cruz

those are the surnames that were given to all christian converts before the time when everyone was given a surname.

my apelyido is ham icon_redface.gif
kristleh
QUOTE(ham_let @ Sep 3 2006, 05:27 AM) [snapback]2250487[/snapback]

hahaha. dapat apelyido ko MAI buti na lang hindi natuloy... icon_wink.gif weird nga eh... hmmm... expected ko ong, lee, or lim eh hindi MAI hahaha ... joke time ang kong ko.. mwahahaha laugh.gif
pulu-pulu
Estoque, is that common?
jokean
QUOTE(ham_let @ Sep 2 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]2250487[/snapback]

I have this classmate before... his name was 'Ham'.
santoloco
mendoza
jokean
- Santiago
- De Guzman
- De Jesus
- Ramos
- Ocampo
- Reyes
- Corpuz
- Quizon
jhonnz
cruz, tan, lim
flipcombatmedic
batumbakal, pangilinan, castillo, cagampang...
HutFlip
Reyes, Yap, Gonzales etc...
santoloco
de castro

sarmiento
flipcombatmedic
magdangal, go, cojuanco, chua
Pulotan_Master
i always hear of cruz's, santos'
ham_let
QUOTE(jokean @ Sep 2 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]2250542[/snapback]

I have this classmate before... his name was 'Ham'.
OMG COOL! LOL. all the asian hams i know are relatives -__-
Torete_ako_sa_yo
de la cruz, del rosario, bautista, del los santos,
Sonofvisayas
QUOTE(kristleh @ Sep 2 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]2250475[/snapback]

naku kelangan ko ng masanay na tawag sa akin mrs. geronimo. hmmm... maganda sa tenga. hahaha laugh.gif

Oo dapat masanay ka na, ila bang gusto mong anak baby? kiss.gif

QUOTE(pulu-pulu @ Sep 2 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]2250514[/snapback]

Estoque, is that common?

Hmmm noo never heard of it lolz this is the first time, sounds good though

My distant relatives has surnames like Piokid, Ochando, Pronton, Custodio, Teodosio, Javedra etc they sound cool.. icon_smile.gif
k3n5i
isn't there a REAL filipino surname that is common? i mean a tagalog surname rather than chinese/spanish ones
queenmary
QUOTE(k3n5i @ Sep 3 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]2252061[/snapback]

isn't there a REAL filipino surname that is common? i mean a tagalog surname rather than chinese/spanish ones

Magdangal
Magdalo
Saguisag (?)

Does anyone know any Gulle around here?
lucky_me_noodle
Dela Cruz.... I always hear it all the time..
The-Foreigner
QUOTE(Sirikittong @ Sep 2 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]2250433[/snapback]

Tan, Lim, Sanchez and Cruz.

Sanchez, i have to admit is a rather cool sounding SN but ofcourse im gonna be biased biggrin.gif
crinovski
Condez/Condes
flipcombatmedic
jaworski?
Sonofvisayas
QUOTE(flipcombatmedic @ Sep 3 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]2252912[/snapback]

jaworski?

hahha that sounds russian laugh.gif
lucky_me_noodle
^ It sounds like some famous person but I just can't figure out who. shrug.gif
Sonofvisayas
QUOTE(lucky_me_noodle @ Sep 3 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]2253650[/snapback]

^ It sounds like some famous person but I just can't figure out who. shrug.gif

Robert Jaworski ? PBA legend, one of idols biggthumpup.gif
lucky_me_noodle
^ YEah [^o^] that's the name... Gezeers... victory.gif

I think... confused.gif
queenmary
Jawo became a senator..

Jawo became a senator..
greenrice88
i always hear reyes. and according to a game show, it is one of the commonest surnames. cute noh.

mine is villanueva. it's also common.
dennisaur
Mine is Gallardo.. not very common both in the Philippines and in Spanish-speaking countries. lol It's funny, though, because one of my classmates is of Cuban descent and she lives in the same neighborhood as me. She's the only other non-related person I've met who has the same family name as me. Everyone thinks we're related once they learn that we have the same family name. laugh.gif

QUOTE(k3n5i @ Sep 2 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]2252061[/snapback]

I hear Manalo from time to time.
ham_let
i tihnk we can all agree that dela cruz is the most common surname eh?

b/c whenever they want to say John Smith they put Juan Dela Cruz...
Forumwalker
jaworski sounds german. and he's half fil right?

anyway, mine's lim so i guess we're common... and i know some who also bear my name Michael, i.e. Michael Lim. it's good to know i have 3 firstnames icon_smile.gif

im posting "commonly-heard" prominent names known for their large businesses:
Gokongwei, Ayala, Lopez, Aboitiz, Cuneta, Araneta, Tan

food for thought
these are list of prominent families that started in the Visayas:
Lopez (Iloilo) - owner of ABS-CBN, Maynilad Water, Meralco
Gokongwei (Cebu) - business magnate
Sulplicio (Cebu) - owner of cargo and passenger ferry company Sulplicio Lines
Cokaliong (Cebu) - owner of Cokaliong Shipping Lines
Aboitiz (Cebu) - owner of Cebu Ferries, SuperFerries, and fastcraft company SuperCat, owns WG&A
Lucio Tan - started in Cebu
Go - owner of Penshoppe, started in Cebu
Gothong - owner of Gothong Lines (Cebu), part owner of WG&A, shares sold to Aboitiz
Robina Corporation - started in Cebu with Robinson's Place Cebu as first mall.
anothercool
Para sa akin..

Bautista
Lim
runawaychick

gomez

dela cruz

lim

lee
worlddomination
Santos
flipcombatmedic
recto, agoncillo, saplan (ilocano clan)
Jc2
It's a shame most "Filipino surnames" are of Spanish and to a lesser extent Chinese origin. My surname is Dizon which is of Fukien Chinese origin and is a common last name in Pampanga.
C@RL
Ablaza
Skulls&Bones
QUOTE(Jc2 @ Sep 5 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]2261865[/snapback]

It's a shame most "Filipino surnames" are of Spanish and to a lesser extent Chinese origin. My surname is Dizon which is of Fukien Chinese origin and is a common last name in Pampanga.

If u got chinese surname, ur most likely to have chinese blood in you..lolz
hi im new
Razgriz
-> Santos
-> Dela Cruz
-> and the list goes on...
-> embarassedlaugh.gif
azrach187
My mother's maiden name is Lontoc (pure bred Pinoy) very common in Laguna and Cavite area.
anothercool
QUOTE(Skulls&Bones @ Sep 5 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]2262101[/snapback]

If u got chinese surname, ur most likely to have chinese blood in you..lolz
hi im new

How is Dizon of Chinese origin? Just curious. confused.gif
Forumwalker
QUOTE(azrach187 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]2263599[/snapback]

My mother's maiden name is Lontoc (pure bred Pinoy) very common in Laguna and Cavite area.

is there such thing as a pure bred pinoy? unless some pure-bred pinoy gives me his ancestral lineage from the pre-hispanic era, i believe im a purebred pinoy** too. and besides, family names of Filipinos were added during the Spanish regime. and to think Laguna and Cavite is in close proximity to the seat of the Spanish regime in the Philippines.

**my definition of a purebred pinoy is someone whose proud of being Filipino regardless of his blood lineage... coz in the first place, Filipinos are of mixed-blood. i mean, is there such a person who is purebred american or french or german? they all got mixed somehow. ^_^
azrach187
QUOTE(Forumwalker @ Sep 7 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]2267809[/snapback]

is there such thing as a pure bred pinoy? unless some pure-bred pinoy gives me his ancestral lineage from the pre-hispanic era, i believe im a purebred pinoy** too. and besides, family names of Filipinos were added during the Spanish regime. and to think Laguna and Cavite is in close proximity to the seat of the Spanish regime in the Philippines.

**my definition of a purebred pinoy is someone whose proud of being Filipino regardless of his blood lineage... coz in the first place, Filipinos are of mixed-blood. i mean, is there such a person who is purebred american or french or german? they all got mixed somehow. ^_^

Exactly. But be aware that my family is very stout in the belief that pride is the basis of our blood. We never dwelled in the fact that my grandmother's last name is Buenconsejo since she told us that it was the last name given to her family by a Spaniard landowner (sugar cane) having enjoyed my maternal grandmother's Filipino grandfather's planting advice. It stands for good advice. No it doesn't exist anywhere else other than Leyte and Cebu, and quite possibly, my grandmother is the last one, since most were killed in WWII.

The Lontocs of Cavite and Laguna have had success as one of the prominent political names ever since (after) 1898, fairly traceable as freedom fighters from Spanish-era, to the insurection and WWII.
ham_let
QUOTE(anothercool @ Sep 6 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]2265094[/snapback]

How is Dizon of Chinese origin? Just curious. confused.gif

dizon = 'second grandson' in hokkien, just written with spanish orthography.

Tuazon = eldest grandson
Samson = 3rd grandson
Sison = 4th
Gozon = 5th grandson
Lacson = 6th

i'm guessing the ones after that would be Chitson, Pueson, Gauson etc.. then again my chinese is so bad... embarassedlaugh.gif

EDIT: and i read a link that said that a large portion of people who have these names are from pampanga because pampanga is where the chinese fled to escape being massacred by early spanish colonists or something.
device01
My last name is: Castillo and my Fiance is Roque?
claudia
Hi Guys, that wasn't Philippines surenames but SPANISH & POSTUGISH same to LATIN countries.
A long time ago when the Dutch helped Minahasan people in Indonesia by get rid of Spain & portugis because they're a bit hard & parently raped women if the women didn't want to be their slaves. Then they're moved to Philippine & be there for long time even know they have been in Minahasa for more than 100 yrs & they're Captain married with Minahasan girl from Tomohon region & thay're son became a King of Manado that time.
Also lots of spanish & postugish surename can be found here, example: PAUNER, HEIDERMAN & much more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.