Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I make money in Mongolia?
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Mongolian Chat > Mongolian Serious Talk
Airagyy
I am thinking about what can i do for my living? I am interested to start business, in mongolia.

Considering current situation in Mongolia, what is the promisable business? /Excluding to open cafes, bars or shops/

Any definite opinions or recomendations are appriciated.

For instance: Mongolia has enermous natural source of coal, precious metals etc. May be it's nice to biuld-up "coal to hydrocarbons" processing factory. Then sale it to China.

Please, write down what kind of business will you choose, if you were mongolian.
Buryadai
Natural sources industries suppose that you have large investments first. It would be difficult to launch such a business from 0.

I thought of sheep breeding business in northern Mongolia. Mongolia exports raw meat to Russia in considerable amount. I thought to buy a farm somewhere near Russo-Mongol border and start a bussiness with 5000 - 10 000 sheep. Meat has constant inelastic demand in Russia - ya know folks in Siberia are carnivor meat eaters laugh.gif .
Major challenge in this business is monopoly of several Russian importing companies such as Buryatmyasoprom and others. Also, it is difficult to clear raw meat and get permission to import from Mongolia due to Russian sanitary-epidemic regulations. Mongolia has too many diseases spread by those creatures... don't know in English - tarbagan.

Another interesting point that I have seen in Mongolia is milk produced in Russia. I thought that such a country like Mongolia would not have import milk from outside - but there many such produces like Сгущённое молоко and milk from Krasnoyarsk. Mongolia could have meet that demand by local resources, I guess. May be some expertise and equipment should be imported.
Anda
Russia is big meat market. Meat in Russia is expensive too..

You are right Buryadai. Milk processing technology should be improved. Mongolians should supply its own market without any foreign import
danoc
QUOTE(Buryadai @ Sep 21 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]2319093[/snapback]

Natural sources industries suppose that you have large investments first. It would be difficult to launch such a business from 0.

I thought of sheep breeding business in northern Mongolia. Mongolia exports raw meat to Russia in considerable amount. I thought to buy a farm somewhere near Russo-Mongol border and start a bussiness with 5000 - 10 000 sheep. Meat has constant inelastic demand in Russia - ya know folks in Siberia are carnivor meat eaters laugh.gif .
Major challenge in this business is monopoly of several Russian importing companies such as Buryatmyasoprom and others. Also, it is difficult to clear raw meat and get permission to import from Mongolia due to Russian sanitary-epidemic regulations. Mongolia has too many diseases spread by those creatures... don't know in English - tarbagan.

Another interesting point that I have seen in Mongolia is milk produced in Russia. I thought that such a country like Mongolia would not have import milk from outside - but there many such produces like Сгущённое молоко and milk from Krasnoyarsk. Mongolia could have meet that demand by local resources, I guess. May be some expertise and equipment should be imported.

make swiss or ukraian cheese and sell it into RF.

icon_wink.gif
silla
if mongolia were to follow in korea, japan, taiwan's footsteps in industrializing, the mongolian gov't would identify key industries they wish to excel in such as chemical, farming, steel processing, tourism etc... and then provide tax breaks, incentives, funding for people who want to go into that industry. i imagine korea and japan and taiwan would have been taken over by foreigners and permanently crippled in all industries if the government did not incubate and direct its economy.
Erdene
What about organic foodstuffs.....everyone in the west are crazy for organic foods. I mean we grow everything organically basically because we can't afford fertilizers. The simple stuff like carrots, potatoes...etc
Jt (mongolian)
hey how about exporting some airags cuz in usa they always want new and healthy stuff so it might work though but you need a lot of money though icon_sad.gif
Anda
QUOTE(Erdene @ Sep 22 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]2320601[/snapback]

What about organic foodstuffs.....everyone in the west are crazy for organic foods. I mean we grow everything organically basically because we can't afford fertilizers. The simple stuff like carrots, potatoes...etc

Organic meat is expenisive in Europe ,
Buryadai
QUOTE(Erdene @ Sep 22 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]2320601[/snapback]

In Mongolia, you guys have 2 obstacles - scarcity of expertise and trained staff and remoteness from potential markets.

Transportation of any commodity produced in Mongolia would be expensive unless its China or Russia. Remoteness raises costs considerably and down turn competetiveness.

If one has handled transportation costs many things could be realized in Mongolia.
ABC in NYC
Open a brothel--- oldest business in the world. biggthumpup.gif
Anda
QUOTE(Buryadai @ Sep 22 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]2320844[/snapback]

If one has handled transportation costs many things could be realized in Mongolia.

Then we need extensive railway system -

1st existing railway line-from Sukhbaatar- to Zamyn Ud (North-South)

2 railway line is desperately needed - from Khovdo to Choibalsan (West-East)

And additional 3-4 th lines (north and south)
GotMilk?
Just open a few dollar stores full of cheap Chinese goods in Mongolia. You will make money. Asian people running 99 cents stroes in NYC are making tons of money.....there are always poor people around the world. Just fill in the demand, u will make money.

Buryadai
QUOTE(Anda @ Sep 22 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]2320865[/snapback]

Then we need extensive railway system -

1st existing railway line-from Sukhbaatar- to Zamyn Ud (North-South)

2 railway line is desperately needed - from Khovdo to Choibalsan (West-East)

And additional 3-4 th lines (north and south)

You really do need extensive infrastructure tied to UB from all parts of the country. It is of economic as well as of geopolitical interest to the Mongol state.

Such a vast country do need extensive railway system. It is convenient and fast. Also, I believe its should be cheaper than developing TIR transportation. When you transport industrial goods its ok to send them via large trucks - but trucks need pavement ways, gasoline and maintenance - it won't work in predominantly rural economy.

Another important concern is Mongolia's landlocked location. Mongolia in any case remains dependent on transportation system of the 2 neghbors. If Mongolia manages to develop domestic milk or meat processing facilities it will need to trade and transport it somewhere via Russia. Russian railway and customs systems are messy, i.e. that make potential S.Korean and Japanese companies opt to send goods to Europe by sea rather than through Trans-Siberian railway.
Buryadai
QUOTE(silla @ Sep 22 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]2320519[/snapback]

if mongolia were to follow in korea, japan, taiwan's footsteps in industrializing, the mongolian gov't would identify key industries they wish to excel in such as chemical, farming, steel processing, tourism etc... and then provide tax breaks, incentives, funding for people who want to go into that industry. i imagine korea and japan and taiwan would have been taken over by foreigners and permanently crippled in all industries if the government did not incubate and direct its economy.

Farming and tourism are developing in Mongolia. However, it is not feasible to build export oriented capital or labour intensive industries either like Eastern Tigers did. Reasons are very low manpower availability (total pop. 2.7 mil) and remoteness from the markets, let alone its difficult to compete with China nowadays.
kunomchu
go find oil
mongolhuu
buying & selling land..
Airagyy
QUOTE(Buryadai @ Sep 21 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]2319093[/snapback]

mmm daaa. I wonder why our country of milk don't produce moloko. May there is special technology?

QUOTE(GotMilk? @ Sep 22 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]2321147[/snapback]

Just open a few dollar stores full of cheap Chinese goods in Mongolia. You will make money. Asian people running 99 cents stroes in NYC are making tons of money.....there are always poor people around the world. Just fill in the demand, u will make money.

This one started early as 10 years ago. Hundreds of people selling cheap chinese goods in the market.

QUOTE(Jt (mongolian) @ Sep 22 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]2320622[/snapback]

hey how about exporting some airags cuz in usa they always want new and healthy stuff so it might work though but you need a lot of money though icon_sad.gif

You have to find some additive which keeps airag fresh. Then bottle it and have to sell.

I think there is already bottled airag in the market. But I don't how long keeps fresh.
Airagyy
What do you think about sugar production.
Buryadai
QUOTE(Airagyy @ Sep 22 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]2322007[/snapback]

What do you think about sugar production.

Whatever you suggest do you plan to get rich by producing and trading domestically? Think of the local market - its tiny. You will certainly make some money, but not that much. Mongolia fortune lies in exporting farming and cattle breeding products in first place (except minerals and fossil fuels). Its good cause it do no harm to the nature and keeps population employed locally. Then, think what Mongol products may compete to take over markets abroad.

GotMilk?
Maybe Mongolians can start a few joint ventures with people in the inner mongolia. Inner mongolia has built a few famous brands within Chinese market. Inner mongolia is a leader in dairy products and wool products in China.
moviez
Anything about Chingkis Khan will sell like hotcakes. For an example, Chingkis Khan posters, Toys, Clothes, Calendar, Wallpaper etc.

They will sell like hotcakes because Mongolian worship Chingkis Khan.
London
Once read a book on Russian economics. Author says that Russia's average year temperature is about -15 C, when in other coldest countries (Norway, Canada) it is about +5C. It's the same with Mongolia.
Temperature is a strong factor. For building, roads, just survival.
mongolhuu
some of the richest people in mongolia have their own construction company.
tujue
Horse breeding and than sell em

But u need skills for that
Erdene
Buy land and dig for natural resources.
Hantulga
Night Club is one of the successful and easy business to create in Mongolia. However i won't recommend it to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.