For old timers : Hollywood began filming in the Philippines way back in 1905 !http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-movies-sho...m/1AHDDRD9PU17H
The Advent of Cinema in the Philippines
During the last decade of the 19th century, in 1896, a Spaniard by the name of Pertierra, prepared to launch his first movie show in Manila at Christmas Time. The venue was to be at Salon de Pertierra, which he established nine months earlier as the Phonograph Parlor on the ground floor of the Casino Espanol at Calle Perez, off the Escolta. But for some reasons still unknown to this writing, Pertierra failed to make his presentation despite several published announcements to this effect. The show kept being postponed until the New Year.
Finally, on January 1, 1897, the first four movies namely, Un Homme Au Chapeau (Man with a Hat), Une scene de danse Japonaise (Scene from a Japanese Dance), Les Boxers (The Boxers), and La Place de L' Opera (The Place L' Opera), were shown via 60mm Gaumont Chrono-photograph projector at the Salon de Pertierra at no. 12 Escolta.
Other countries, such as France, England, and Germany have their claims to the introduction of publicly projected motion picture but the corresponding credit should have been given to Mr. Pertierra and the centennial anniversary of the first movie shown in the Philippines should have been commemorated on January 1, 1997
The Arrival of Lumiere Cinematograph
Antonio Ramos, a Spanish soldier from Alhama de Aragon, who had arrived earlier in the year with the "Batallon de Cazadores" (Hunter's Batallion), which had been sent to quell the Philippine revolution, was able to import a Lumiere Cinematograph from Paris. With it he bought 30 film titles. He did the acquisition with his savings, and evidently, with the financial backing of Liebman and Peritz.
By August, 1897, Liebman and Peritz presented the first movies on the Lumiere Cinematograph in Manila. The new cine was set up at Escolta, corner San Jacinto, the hall formerly occupied by the Ullman Jewelry shop. A test preview was presented to a limited number of guests on August 28. The inaugural show was presented to the general public the next day, August 29, 1897.
During the first three weeks, Ramos had a selection of ten different films to show, but by the fourth week, he was forced to shuffle the 30 films in various combinations to produce new programs. These were four viewing sessions, every hour on the hour, from 6:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. After three months, attendance began to slacken for failure to show any new feature. They transferred the viewing hall to a warehouse in Plaza Goiti and reduced the admission fees. By the end of November, the movie hall closed down.
The First Movie Shot in the Philippines
Impelled desperately to attract patronage and as a matter of survival, Ramos, using the Lumiere as a camera, locally filmed Panorama de Manila (Manila landscape), Fiesta de Quiapo (Quiapo Fiesta), Puwente de Espaņa (Bridge of Spain), and Esceņas Callejeras (Street scenes), in 1898. Notwithstanding the possibility that some cameramen aboard an ocean liner or naval expedition might have earlier filmed the enchanting panorama of Manila, Antonio Ramos thus became the first motion picture producer in the Philippines.
Among the pioneers who left documentary evidences of their visits to the Philippines were: Burton Holmes, father of the "Travelogue" who made the first of several visits in 1899; and made the Battle of Baliwag; Kimwood Peters who shot the Banawe Rice Terraces and Raymond Ackerman of American Biography and Mutoscope who filmed Filipino Cockfight and the Battle of Mt. Arayat.
In 1905, Herbert Wyndham, shot scenes at the Manila Fire Department; Albert Yearsly shot the Rizal Day Celebration in Luneta 1909; in 1910, the Manila Carnival; in 1911, the Eruption of Mayon Volcano; the first Airplane Flight Over Manila by Bud Mars and the Fires of Tondo, Pandacan and Paco; and, in 1912, the Departure of the Igorots to Barcelona and the Typhoon in Cebu.
Filmmakers, indeed, covered wide ranges of the Philippines: Zamboanga children diving for coins thrown from the ship's deck; Muslim ladies ogling at the camera; fiestas, carabao races, fluvial parades, religious processions, panoramic shots of Philippine cities and towns; gold mining in Paracale; concerts at the Luneta, or the construction of the Manila Hotel on land reclaimed from the Manila Bay.
The Establishment of Movie Houses
Film showing was not resumed until 1900. The man who opened the first hall exclusively for movie viewing that year was a British named Walgrah who naturally called his establishment Cine Walgrah, located at No. 60 Calle Santa Rosa in Intramuros. The second movie house was opened in 1902 by a Spanish entrepreneur, Samuel Rebarber, who called his building, Gran Cinematografo Parisien, located at No. 80, Calle Crespo, Quiapo. In 1903, Jose Jimenez, a stage backdrop painter, set up the first Filipino-owned movie theater, the Cinematograpo Rizal. This was located on Azcarraga street, in front of Tutuban Train Station
The assurance of abundant and continuous supply of films at cheap introductory prices brought a landslide of movie theaters. The first of these was Cine Anda which opened on August 8, 1909, operated by two American Manila Policemen, Frank H. Goulette and Eddie Teague, others followed: It, Paz, Cabildo, Empire, Majestic, Comedis, Apollo, Ideal, Luz and Gaity appeared between 1909 and 1911. Zorilla, the vanguard of zarzuela and opera presentations, switched to showing films in late 1909, while Grand Opera House began to include movies in-between vaudeville number in 1910. Likewise, moviehouses mushroomed in the Provinces which had electricity . To date, among Asean countries, the Philippines has myriad moviehouses established from the urban to the remotest rura
See the link:http://www.ncca.gov.ph/about_cultarts/coma...hp?artcl_Id=115