Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Legend Of Neang Kong Rei
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Cambodian / Khmer Chat
ChassNong
When I was young, I travelled from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by big passenger boat (ship?). It was getting dark, so it rested overnight at Kompong Chnang port. I slept on the rooftop of the boat looking at stars and getting biten by mosquitoes. When I looked across the river, I saw this mountain shaped like a woman resting on her side. Then, I realized this is phnom Neang Kong Rei. I got goose bumps when I recalled the story my grandma had told me about her. Here I was face to face with Neang Kang Rey the legend! She was huge! (Duh, she's a mountain!). At that young age, I totally believed in the legend..like children here believe in Santa Claus. I just stared at her all night long, hoping she would not get up!

Anyway, her legend is such a tragic one. She personified an ideal Khmer woman, forever faithful till her last breath.

Has anyone here seen the movie about her and Rithisen? What do you think about her?
starangels81
i haven't heard the story, i remember watching the movie when i was very small.............. could not remember.......... could you please tell me her story.. i'm very interested
ChassNong
QUOTE (starangels81 @ Jun 7 2004, 12:36 AM)
i haven't heard the story, i remember watching the movie when i was very small.............. could not remember.......... could you please tell me her story.. i'm very interested

Gosh, it's a long story and I'm not a good story teller! Here is snippet start:

A poor couple with 12 daughters could no longer afford to feed them all. Thus, the couple abandoned them deep in forest. A lady Giant or Ogress found them, took them home to be eaten later after she fatten them up a little bit! This Ogress always presented herself as lovely human lady during her dealing with the 12 girls. They escaped when they found out about the Ogress's intention with the help of a white rat. They were found once again by a King out hunting in the jungle. They looked good with new clothes, so the king took them 12 as his wives.
(Lucky bastard love2.gif I should have been the one beerchug.gif )

Does this sound familiar to you?
SaMai
Gosh..that is really interesting, tell me more!
ChassNong
More story coming...

Here some pics:

DVD cover

Neang Kong Rei

Mount Kong Rei

I remember the mountain was much more imposing to a little kid than this pic!
chhaii
i remember the story... it is truly sad, and very romantic
ChassNong
After the 12 girls escaped, the Ogress went to visit her former magic teacher (Preah Ei So? or Ei Sei?). Her mentor was dying and his last request was for the Ogress to raise a little girl called Kong Rei that he had found in a flower(?). She took Kong Rei to her country and adopted her as her own daughter.

At Racha Borei, the 12 girls all got pregnant. The king called forth a fortuneteller to foresee his future offspring. The fortuneteller said that the 11 elder sisters would have daughters and the youngest girl would have a son. The king named his son Rithi Sen. This news enraged the Ogress who felt betrayed by the 12 girls, thus, she embarked on mission to destroy those 12. She transformed herself into a hottie named KeiSor Nimol and put a spell on the king and also the fortuneteller. The king nominated her as his new queen. KeiSor Nimol started munching on the king's palace quards. The fortuneteller accused the 12 as the transformed Ogresses who ate the guards. So, the Mr dimwit king jailed the 12 former wives in a dark cave. The Ogress as KeiSor Nimol removed all the eye balls of the girls leaving youngest one with one eye and sent those 23 eyes balls back to her country to be used later to make her immortal. (The reason youngest girl was left with one eye is attributed to karma. When they were young, the older 11 sisters each removed both eye balls of fishes for fun and the youngest girl only remove one side of her fish's!!)
starangels81
SO THAT'S THE MOVIE....... I WILL GOT GET IT LATER AND WATCH THE WHOLE STORY........ I STILL DONT' REMEMBER IT.... I HEARD OF THE MOVIE....
ChassNong
Shall I continue? This thing requires more details as I type. I'll try to make it short:

In the cave, the 12 girls were so starved they became cannibals. Each time one of them delivered a baby, they would split the baby into 12 pieces to be shared among them. Naturally, the youngest sister with one eye sight was in charge of the sharing. However, she saved all her shares. When she delivered a baby boy, Rithi Sen, she hid her baby, gave her saved shares for her 11 older sisters to eat (yuck! they complained why her baby's flesh tasted rotten! I don't remember what the youngest sister's response was....maybe something witty like "I have a stillbirth?". She's supposed to be the smartest of them all).

Rithi Sen (or Rethi Sen?) grew up to be a smart young boy. He won many c@ck fighting contests and asked only for food as his prize to feed his 11 aunties and his mother. One the king's generals recognized Rethi Sen as the king's own son, thus, he took Rethi Sen under his wing and secretly taught him literature, warfare, kung fu etc.... Rethi Sen the boy became the man and made his way into the king inner circles of people. Keisor Nimol, the transfomed Ogress, found out about Rethi Sen's origin and concocted plan to kill him. She ordered Rethi Sen to carry a message her country. The message instructed her adopted daughter Kong Rei to eat him right away. On the trip, Preah En or (TevDa?) altered the message when Rethi Sen was asleep. Instead of eating him right away, marry him on the day or night that Rethi Sen got there!

Sorry, I need to go to eat..hope that rotten flesh didn't ruin my appetite!
ChassNong
Rethi Sen and Kong Rei became husband and wife. He learned all the secrets of the Ogress palace including several different magic trees and the hiding place of his anties and mother's eye balls through neang Kong Rei. One night, he used magic leave to hipnotized Kong Rei, and escaped with the eye balls. Kong Rei later awoke and followed him. Rethi Sen used another leave to make his horse fly and one more to create a river between him and Kong Rei causing her to commit suicide. Later, he defeated the Ogress and returned the eye balls back to their owners. The king, no longer under the magic spell of the Ogress, apologized to his 12 wives and invited them back to the palace against. The End!!!!! beerchug.gif

Legendary notes:

Kong Rei body became the mountain... so, Mount Neang Kong Rei.

The legend also mentioned that Kong Rei's **** hair became ma orm (a short, weed-like plant that grows in rice field and people use this plant as seasoning in somlor ma choo. Here, in the States, we only have dried plants brought here from Srok Khmer.) Just ask your parents or any older people the origin of ma orm, they should know!!!

Final thought:

Although neang Kong Rei takes all the limelight, I think the youngest sister should be the main heroine of this story. She managed to keep the hero alive in that dire situation, but she did not even get a name of her own.
chhaii
good job in telling the story!!!!
Jotmaimamoreaj

Here is a movie that was remade and directed by my cousin.
ChassNong
QUOTE (Jotmaimamoreaj @ Jun 9 2004, 07:22 PM)

Really?!!!! I have this very DVD! Your cousin is good! I like this movie, it's well made. Say, can you hook me up? I can be the star embarassedlaugh.gif ! J/K

The actor for that Yakk Srey (Ogress) is a man.?.
siina
Ohh I have thst DvD neang kong rei... thats a good movie..witht he 12 sisters and the king and stuff and that lady who can turn into people and stufff yeahh isnt't it like she wants the 12 girls eye balls for power or something? i dunno but I belive in it cuz my mom said its true and my mom never lies haha
starangels81

how come you're not in the movie............... when will we get to see you making a movie? so that way i can tell my friend i know you.... beerchug.gif
ChassNong
QUOTE (starangels81 @ Jun 9 2004, 08:45 PM)

Here is a movie that was remade  and directed by my cousin.

how come you're not in the movie............... when will we get to see you making a movie? so that way i can tell my friend i know you.... beerchug.gif

I agree with starangels81. Make me proud, man! It does not have to be the main character! Some minor role would be cool too beerchug.gif
Sokha
This is probably one of my favorite story. My grandma use to tell me it all the time when I was little. Even though I prefer my grandma telling the story, the dvd is great.
Jotmaimamoreaj

These are the movie he directed. Except Thon Chey was directed by my uncle.
Lompong reachea, I give a two thumbs down all the way down.
I didn't want to break any camera. My uncle Asked me to be in a movie. I refused. I enjoyed watching them making movies though.
Menikani
That's a nice signature Jot.
Jotmaimamoreaj
I always fallen inlove with khmer culture.
starangels81

i just got this movie.... i was looking for it everywhere at the video store..... none of them have it, cause it's been out awhile ago.... anyway i finally got it. so i watch it last night it's pretty good...... i really like it. but i didn't like the fact they cut out so many scene.... my mom told me the old verison was really long... and she mention some part that they didn't do..... it was good i enjoy watching it.. beerchug.gif
Jotmaimamoreaj
Have you seen Pka dos ler Thmor? He directed also. I heard people said it was good. I hadn't seen it yet.

I will help improve khmer cinema when I have a chance. For now I have too much personal problems to take care of.
starangels81
no i haven't seen that one yet.... i heard it's good also.... my friend told me the storyline...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.