Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Indonesians, NOT Indons"
Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Asian Culture > Malaysian Chat > Malaysian Serious Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Crystallised Dream
Taken from the Borneo Post (Sunday, Oct. 22).

KUCHING: Acting consul general of the Consulate General of Indonesia here, Rubaya Talib, is appealing to Malaysians not to call Indonesians "Indons" but Indonesians.

"Please, call us 'Indonesians' and not 'Indons'", he said, adding that 'Indons' did not have any meaning at all.

"It seems very common for Malaysians, including those in Sarawak, to call Indonesians 'Indons' whereas even among Indonesians the word is not familiar at all, more so among us back in our country," Rubaya said.

"Those working here may have to bear with it but, generally, they are not happy with the use of 'Indons' to describe them," he told reporters at the breaking of fast dinner with the local media on Friday.

He said, in fact, many Indonesians, especially intellectuals back home, were also complaining and not happy with the word 'Indon' or 'Indons' because it was not right, therefore, a degradation to Indonesian dignity.

He also wished Malaysians would understand that not all Indonesians were bad people simply because a few were found to have committed crimes.

---

So what do you think? Do you see anything wrong with the term 'Indons'? The term has been around for such a long time that it's quite natural for us Malaysians to refer to our Indonesian brethren as Indons.

I see the usage of the term "Indons" more as a convenient 'shortcut' to the term "Indonesians" than as a deliberate way to degrade Indonesian dignity. But if it upsets the Indonesian people, then I feel that we should stop using the term.
SantaKlaws
If the term "Indons" was often used as a derogatory term towards Indonesians, I believe its use is inappropriate.
samheisfl
QUOTE(SantaKlaws @ Oct 25 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]2423797[/snapback]

If the term "Indons" was often used as a derogatory term towards Indonesians, I believe its use is inappropriate.

Hmm.. not really actually.. almost everything that related to Indonesian wll be addressed as Indons.. from something bad to something good, the Indons terms have been synonyms to Indonesians.. icon_redface.gif
Lint
Personally I tend to use Indos, is that derogatory too?
Astromantic
Indos are fine. Indons are not, makes all of the Indonesians look like maids or TKIs. And for samheisfl, if you think using Indons is fine then we'd better create something worse for you Malaysians.
samheisfl
QUOTE(Astromantic @ Oct 28 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]2431740[/snapback]

Indos are fine. Indons are not, makes all of the Indonesians look like maids or TKIs. And for samheisfl, if you think using Indons is fine then we'd better create something worse for you Malaysians.

Did i said that using Indons are better..? confused.gif
You see, if you come here to Malaysia, everything about indonesia mostly is called indon.. e.g, in our newspaper, the Indonesian's stock exchange is sometimes called Indon Stock Exchange.. it doesn't make you become a maid or TKIs..
And you are most welcome to create something worse for Malaysians.. yeah.. be my guest!! biggthumpup.gif
i ain't supporting the Indon words usage though.. sure.gif
jason76

Spot on dude!
ricochet
QUOTE(jason76 @ Oct 28 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]2432272[/snapback]

Spot on dude!

Glutony will vouch that we dont use Indons in SG, we usually address them as indonesian - the full name to be honest. And I find a bit ackward to address them as indons...sounds funny

I dunno abt you guys in MY...when you mention indonesian or indon or indos....we always have this mindset that they are rich....haha. Walk into orchard road bro....5 in 10 chinese you see are indonesian.
Betongan
Hey, I rather called Indonesian "Indons" because it is part malaysian languange not indonesian languange. Pls don't tell us what to called other people. We have our own languange and we just used them. Indon seem fine to me
e_vaholic
^it may seem fine to your ears, but it may not seem fine to indonesian's ears.
we do have to tell someone what to call us,, a good name.
you can't call someone with bad name right??
what will you feel if we ,indonesians, call you, malaysians as MALAS sia..
think that..!!
Betong
QUOTE(e_vaholic @ Nov 11 2006, 04:07 AM) [snapback]2472169[/snapback]

^it may seem fine to your ears, but it may not seem fine to indonesian's ears.
we do have to tell someone what to call us,, a good name.
you can't call someone with bad name right??
what will you feel if we ,indonesians, call you, malaysians as MALAS sia..
think that..!!

Wow, new name for Malaysian.....

Keep up your stupid work!!!!!
purple
QUOTE(samheisfl @ Oct 29 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]2432261[/snapback]

And you are most welcome to create something worse for Malaysians.. yeah.. be my guest!! biggthumpup.gif
i ain't supporting the Indon words usage though.. sure.gif

we are gonna call the malays ugly toilet faces!

QUOTE(Betongan @ Oct 31 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]2437512[/snapback]

Hey, I rather called Indonesian "Indons" because it is part malaysian languange not indonesian languange. Pls don't tell us what to called other people. We have our own languange and we just used them. Indon seem fine to me

how about ugly toilet face?? huh u like that?
Betong
QUOTE(purple @ Nov 12 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]2476513[/snapback]

we are gonna call the malays ugly toilet faces!
how about ugly toilet face?? huh u like that?

Tooooo loooooong toooooo remeeeembbeeeer!!!!!! embarassedlaugh.gif
swingdoctor
QUOTE(Betongan @ Oct 30 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]2437512[/snapback]

We should respect their wishes, besides as far as I understand Bahasa Malaysia has only 4 original words, the others were adapted from other languages particularly Bahasa Indonesia, or maybe I am wrong.

There are many instances where calling a race by a name is not acceptable, eg N*gga.
Betong
QUOTE(swingdoctor @ Nov 12 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]2476752[/snapback]

We should respect their wishes, besides as far as I understand Bahasa Malaysia has only 4 original words, the others were adapted from other languages particularly Bahasa Indonesia, or maybe I am wrong.

oic. Pls tell me those 4 origanal words?? Thats new claim to me..
swingdoctor
QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 12 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]2476773[/snapback]

oic. Pls tell me those 4 origanal words?? Thats new claim to me..

I can't remember what they are now but my Bahasa teacher told me way back in Secondary School
e_vaholic
QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 12 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]2476486[/snapback]

Wow, new name for Malaysian.....

Keep up your stupid work!!!!!

nah,, you're mad when we call malaysian with bad names huh??
that's what we feel when you call us "indon"
that means, don't call someone with bad names if you don't wanna be called with bad names.
that's fair.
Betong
QUOTE(swingdoctor @ Nov 12 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]2477006[/snapback]

I can't remember what they are now but my Bahasa teacher told me way back in Secondary School

Sorry, but I think your Bahasa teacher maybe wrong here.

According to wikipedia

"The Malay language, also known locally as Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Malaysia, is an Austronesian language spoken by the Malay people who reside in the Malay Peninsula, southern Thailand, the Philippines, Singapore, central eastern Sumatra, the Riau islands, and parts of the coast of Borneo.
It is an official language of Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore. It is also used as a working language in East Timor. It is very similar to Indonesian, known locally as Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia. The official standard for Malay, as agreed upon by Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei, is the form spoken in the Riau Islands just south of Singapore, long considered the birthplace of the Malay language.
"

So why Indonesia used Malay languange too instead Javanese or Sundanese or Minangkabau or Balinese???
I just dunno. I believed Bahasa Melayu used as lingua franca dated in Srivijaya times and enrich in Malacca Sultanate Empire.

So it was rather wrong to claim that Bahasa Melayu adapt from Bahasa Indonesian. What is right was Bahasa Melayu was derived language from language spoken from past Malay empire such Malaccan Sultanate and Johor-Riau Empire. And so do bahasa Indonesian
e_vaholic
^becoz bahasa melayu is the easiest language in indonesia.
as you know we have more than 500 dialects here.
anyway, we do absorb words from our dialects. something that we can't find in bahasa melayu.
Betong
^^^ Lingua franca.
Easier and more famous

QUOTE(e_vaholic @ Nov 12 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]2477100[/snapback]

that means, don't call someone with bad names if you don't wanna be called with bad names.
that's fair.

no, I never mad with your. Why would I? Ok, let called ya'all Indonesian.
beerchug.gif
e_vaholic
^good boy laugh.gif beerchug.gif
samheisfl
Interesting.. even the Indonesia's newspaper use the word.. icon_redface.gif

destoyasoy
Aduhh Booo Capek Deeeh........................ icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif
e_vaholic
^ yeah,,, those people are just trying to make sensation, i think.
Majapahitans
QUOTE(samheisfl @ Nov 14 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]2481077[/snapback]

Interesting.. even the Indonesia's newspaper use the word.. icon_redface.gif

In Indonesian media....? silly
That's an online discussion forum, anybody (from malaysia I suspect) can type indon like he did.....
Betong
Belive me, its not Malaysian intention to degrading Indonesian.. And I suggest all Malaysian forumner must carefully used word "Indon" in the future.

If you say it Malaysian who do that how about this link?

http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=23265

http://www.indonesia.go.id/en/index.php/co...t/view/882/692/

http://www.bkpm.go.id/bkpm/news.php?mode=b...mp;info_id=4759

Company name

http://bpod.bandung.go.id/bisnisdetail.php...id=135911469986
Bhaskara
QUOTE(e_vaholic @ Nov 13 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]2477100[/snapback]

that's fair.

Agreed. You certainly have your own name that u'd like poeple to respect, and not calling u names that u dont like. Respect is the keyword!

QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 13 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]2477138[/snapback]

According to wikipedia

"The Malay language, also known locally as Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Malaysia, is an Austronesian language spoken by the Malay people who reside in the Malay Peninsula, southern Thailand, the Philippines, Singapore, central eastern Sumatra, the Riau islands, and parts of the coast of Borneo.
It is an official language of Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore. It is also used as a working language in East Timor. It is very similar to Indonesian, known locally as Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia. The official standard for Malay, as agreed upon by Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei, is the form spoken in the Riau Islands just south of Singapore, long considered the birthplace of the Malay language.
"

So why Indonesia used Malay languange too instead Javanese or Sundanese or Minangkabau or Balinese???
I just dunno. I believed Bahasa Melayu used as lingua franca dated in Srivijaya times and enrich in Malacca Sultanate Empire.

So it was rather wrong to claim that Bahasa Melayu adapt from Bahasa Indonesian. What is right was Bahasa Melayu was derived language from language spoken from past Malay empire such Malaccan Sultanate and Johor-Riau Empire. And so do bahasa Indonesian

And where does this Riau u're talking about?It's in Indonesia!Remember, the mightiest Malay Empire is Srivijaya, and it was a Sumatra-based Empire. The central of Malay culture is in Indonesia, not in Malaysia. We have proves of this. Unless u people could come up with prove that there was a Malay kingdom bigger than Srivijaya, better calm down and respect each other's countries, as we share the same history and culture.
HangPC2
Example

Keling = Kalinga

1+1
Malaysians in general like to give name to somebody, not because of disrespect, but just because it make the language merrier.

Example # 1: Abu sells chicken, so naturally, we will call him Mat Ayam.

Example # 2: Abu: Hey Mat, kau orang mana?
Ali : Orang Negri Sembilan
Abu: Ooo, Mat Nogori ye..

The word Indon started as Mat Indon, refering to Indonesian, as it is much easier to pronounce than Indonesia. Bangladeshis are called Mat Bangla. This is in no way to disrespect Indonesians or Bangladeshis. It is just the way we speak, part of the language.
Betong
QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Nov 18 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]2492080[/snapback]

And where does this Riau u're talking about?It's in Indonesia!Remember, the mightiest Malay Empire is Srivijaya, and it was a Sumatra-based Empire. The central of Malay culture is in Indonesia, not in Malaysia. We have proves of this. Unless u people could come up with prove that there was a Malay kingdom bigger than Srivijaya, better calm down and respect each other's countries, as we share the same history and culture.

Srivijaya languange was proto Malay, not kind a Malay that we talked rite now...*have to asked Malaccan for this*
Its not Riau only but Johor-Riau dude. Johor first and Riau second...
I only interested to say that the center of Melayu heritege was Malaysia not Indonesia...
purnomor
^ Modern Malay language was developed by Raja Ali Haji and his assistants in Penyengat Island, which is in the Riau Archipelago province of Indonesia.
Betong
QUOTE(purnomor @ Nov 19 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]2496549[/snapback]

^ Modern Malay language was developed by Raja Ali Haji and his assistants in Penyengat Island, which is in the Riau Archipelago province of Indonesia.

No he didn't laugh.gif laugh.gif
he just compiled them...
Modern Malay languange start with writing book of Sejarah Melayu by Tun Sri Lanang biggthumpup.gif
And Others....
HangPC2
QUOTE(1+1 @ Nov 19 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]2493462[/snapback]

Malaysians in general like to give name to somebody, not because of disrespect, but just because it make the language merrier.

The word Indon started as Mat Indon, refering to Indonesian, as it is much easier to pronounce than Indonesia. Bangladeshis are called Mat Bangla. This is in no way to disrespect Indonesians or Bangladeshis. It is just the way we speak, part of the language.

kan senang tak kan terasa hina kot...
Betong
QUOTE(HangPC2 @ Nov 20 2006, 01:13 AM) [snapback]2497534[/snapback]

kan senang tak kan terasa hina kot...

Orang Indonesia hanya tak suka bila orang Malaysia panggil diaorang Indons. Tapi mereka bangga jika yang panggil tu diorang sendiri atau mat salleh...

Satu lagi... Kenapa bangla cool aje bila panggil diorang bangla???
Bhaskara
QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 13 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]2477138[/snapback]

According to wikipedia

"

From ur own words, dude icon_wink.gif
It is the Bahasa Melayu from Riau Island which is in Indonesia, and it was the Bahasa Melayu of Srivijaya that became the lingua franca... laugh.gif

QUOTE(1+1 @ Nov 19 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]2493462[/snapback]

Oh, we undertand that perfectly!We do the same thing in Indonesia, like "Mat Solar". But if the person doesn't like it, wouldn't it be nice if stop calling them that way? icon_wink.gif
purnomor
^ That's true, modern Malay language came from Riau Islands, while proto-Malay came from Palembang. Both of which is in Indonesia. It is clear the cradle of Malay culture is Indonesia, not Malaysia.
Bhaskara
biggrin.gif I didn't intend to start a fight, though. Both Indonesia and Malaysia share the Malay culture. Let's just respect each other, okay!Peace, betong!
ricochet
QUOTE(purnomor @ Nov 20 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]2498243[/snapback]

^ That's true, modern Malay language came from Riau Islands, while proto-Malay came from Palembang. Both of which is in Indonesia. It is clear the cradle of Malay culture is Indonesia, not Malaysia.

mas....why indonesian generally perceived that "indon" word is insulting? I am quite confused as there was never in any case in my experience over the years dealing with indonesian that I have heard people saying to me that its insulting when we call or use the word indon. But there is growing tendency of indonesian having a negative feeling towards malaysian generally in the height of certain events that happens between the 2 countries. But I am glad that people could still tolerate and separate these events and not over generalising that everyone is the same.
Betong
QUOTE(Bhaskara @ Nov 20 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]2498253[/snapback]

biggrin.gif I didn't intend to start a fight, though. Both Indonesia and Malaysia share the Malay culture. Let's just respect each other, okay!Peace, betong!

Peace to you too.... beerchug.gif
Betong
QUOTE(purnomor @ Nov 20 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]2498243[/snapback]

Whatever dude... The real name for bahasa Indonesian should be bahasa Melayu though.....
Indonesia was new name.... And bahasa Indonesian not pure anymore. Pure Malay languange, like the one existing in classical Malay literature, such as, the romance (hikayat) and various traditional forms of poetry, like the pantun, and the shair. Indonesians do not accept the classical works as Indonesian, because to them these belonged to a different world and a different age. The creator of this high quality literature are Malay, and what is Malay is not Indonesian. And this was the major factor the lack of interest among Indonesians for real Malay literature , song or anything from Malaysia.

or maybe they just hate the word "Melayu" and Malaysia. The name Malaysia or Melayu appears to bring out a particular perception among Indonesians, specifically the educated ones. It gives them the pejorative idea of well progress nation but old-fashioned and coming from the upstream region. So the real mean for bahasa indonesian was a language in its own right although it had its foundation in the Malay language.

e_vaholic
QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 21 2006, 03:19 AM) [snapback]2501087[/snapback]

Whatever dude... The real name for bahasa Indonesian should be bahasa Melayu though.....
Indonesia was new name.... And bahasa Indonesian not pure anymore. Pure Malay languange, like the one existing in classical Malay literature, such as, the romance (hikayat) and various traditional forms of poetry, like the pantun, and the shair. Indonesians do not accept the classical works as Indonesian, because to them these belonged to a different world and a different age. The creator of this high quality literature are Malay, and what is Malay is not Indonesian. And this was the major factor the lack of interest among Indonesians for real Malay literature , song or anything from Malaysia.

or maybe they just hate the word "Melayu" and Malaysia. The name Malaysia or Melayu appears to bring out a particular perception among Indonesians, specifically the educated ones. It gives them the pejorative idea of well progress nation but old-fashioned and coming from the upstream region. So the real mean for bahasa indonesian was a language in its own right although it had its foundation in the Malay language.

no...that's not the story,,nama Indonesia was given by someone named i forget (Mas Pur,,can you help me with this?? biggrin.gif)
but, it's abovious that Indonesia is ued not becoz we hate the word Melayu or Malaysia.
and Indonesia is part of Malay,,
and we are not interested wth malaysia song, becoz Indonesian song is much better icon_wink.gif
yaa_ampyun
QUOTE(e_vaholic @ Nov 22 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]2504157[/snapback]

and we are not interested wth malaysia song, becoz Indonesian song is much better icon_wink.gif

setuju!
Betong
^^^Clearly shows me "what is Malay not Indonesians" atitude...
kurekuresakti
QUOTE(e_vaholic @ Nov 22 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]2504157[/snapback]

an indonesian friend of mine who is working in japan,
once mention to me,
that its interesting,malaysian are listening more to indonesian songs rather than malaysian songs,
considering years ago,when the band "search" and "wings" of malaysia were at their heights
indonesian prefer malaysian songs rather than theirs.

anyway to him,this indon thinggy is just another shortform,no biggie,if indo is used,it might just bring the meaning indians(india not american)...as the japanese calls india..indo.
tangawizi
QUOTE(kurekuresakti @ Nov 22 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]2504851[/snapback]

an indonesian friend of mine who is working in japan,
once mention to me,
that its interesting,malaysian are listening more to indonesian songs rather than malaysian songs,
considering years ago,when the band "search" and "wings" of malaysia were at their heights
indonesian prefer malaysian songs rather than theirs.

anyway to him,this indon thinggy is just another shortform,no biggie,if indo is used,it might just bring the meaning indians(india not american)...as the japanese calls india..indo.

Malaysian songs are always so stuck-in-the-heavy-metal-mode.

Indo songs are evolving. They got jazz, grunge and dangdut.

Actually, I dunno wtf I am talking about... I'll stfu. icon_redface.gif
Betong
Yes, maybe Malaysian song doesn't evolving as fast as Indonesian did but we still have a few quality band too which certainly doesn't get any attention from Indonesian because they are Malaysian and if they are Malaysian they can't be better than Indonesian band...

I agree with you for now Indonesian song are more creative and dynamic from Malaysia and Malaysian accept them better than the accept use... Because Malaysian very nice towards others....
e_vaholic
you should ask you malaysian fellow too then about why they prefer listen indonesian song to malaysian's
Betong
They don't actually prefer Indonesian song but they also listen Indonesian song... For some reason that I already mention...
here in Malaysia our artist always complain that Indonesian music industry didn't even given a chance to Malaysian artist to go there....
Majapahitans
QUOTE(Betong @ Nov 23 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]2507064[/snapback]

here in Malaysia our artist always complain that Indonesian music industry didn't even given a chance to Malaysian artist to go there....

Didn't given a chance or didn't qualified.....?
That's two different concept maan...... sure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.